Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #3,736 of 9,329
  just a question about 800s, does 800 have wider soundstage (and better clarity) than 700? I only listened to 800 for couple minutes at the new york meet, :frowning2:
I know it has brighter treble aswell so.. just wondering.

I would lie if i say they do, because i do not know how 700 sounds like.

I listened to hd800 with many amps

They had the best soundstage i had heared. The treble was a little... not to my taste... details were the one of the best... but the general sound was amazing. They are quite dependent on the amp used..

May 7, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,737 of 9,329

just a question about 800s, does 800 have wider soundstage (and better clarity) than 700? I only listened to 800 for couple minutes at the new york meet, :frowning2:
I know it has brighter treble aswell so.. just wondering.

l recently listened to the 800 with the HDVD800 amp (and others). l tried them in different places, different days... basically, l listened to them extensively. IMO, they definitely have a larger soundstage than the little brother, easily noticeable. Clarity wise, l can't tell, l didn't pay attention to that feature (l would say they must be somehow in par, sort of equal). But make no mistake: to my ears, the 800s sound is surely l few steps higher than the 700. lt was simply more 'right' or 'mature'... (sorry for the vague terms). 

l was going to buy a pair this year, but then l thought of getting a WA 2... Besides, my 700 are so new, that l feel bad about buying the 800 and keeping the 700 in a vitrine... In any case, we'll see what l end up buying
rolleyes.gif

Oh, by the way, l agree 100% with those who claim that to really get to know the 800 you need:

1- Good amplification

2- Extended time with them

l had previously listened to the 800 twice: once with a good set up, but only for a while (in San Francisco); then, for longer, but only out of my Fiio X3. l was unimpressed... Until l sat down to listen to them again, with time ahead and TOTL amplification. l would suggest you take these 2 factors into account in order to judge that HP 
smile.gif

I have both on hand with me and I agree with IYAshike on a lot of points. 

1. I think the HD800 need a good amp in my experience with them because I really want to crank them up. I think they're bright, but they aren't as bright or irritating at high levels as the HD700.

2. The HD800 seem to impress me over a longer period of time, not quite the "wow" factor up front (although, I've owned them before and a lot of headphones, so very few things "wow" me anymore).

I find the HD800 to have a better soundstage, and I think the HD700 is definitely noticeably brighter. My HD800 are stock and HD700 have some thick discs to soften the treble and I still think they are brighter.

However, given the price jump from the HD700 to the HD800, I would say there are a lot of other options to consider as well. I think the HE-500 and HE-6 have very different sound signatures, but if you balance those headphones you really feel the speed of the ortho.

May 7, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #3,738 of 9,329
hmmm.... looks like our big brother don't want to taste what he doesn't want to... looks like the posts about hd800 was true, being picky about amp. :L thanks for the infos, I should probably look for amps then.
oh and updates on the hd700 if anyone hate the treble spikes;
I figured this fun little science fact when i start modding the hd700.
if you add thin layers of ragged clothes (it should be breathable, meaning air can pass through) to back of the silver mesh, it reduces the treble spike while adding somewhat noticeable amount of bass (with anax mod, even more, i guess).

May 8, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,741 of 9,329
  Don't be mean! Let Bob have an easy transition to the HD-800 world! 
wink.gif
 After all, he will (rather sooner than later) find the inevitable: he'll need a new, much better amp to pair with the 800s 
dt880smile.png

Was thinking about getting the Bifrost Uber, and leaving that with my Vali. A lot of people might cringe at the thought of a $110 amp that has mini tubes paired with an HD800 it seems, but the thing sounds awesome! I heard the HD800 with the Vali, and I thought it was rather good. Maybe the Lyr 2 would push it a bit further than the Vali while keeping a similar sound. Would be nice to have the sound of the Vali, with a bit less of the flabby bass.

Just to note, I returned the Valhalla 2 to keep the Vali. I thought it was miles better for me personally. Valhalla 2 was a super exciting amp, very good PRAT, but fatiguing for long listening sessions. Vali retains a somewhat similar excitement without pounding your head in.

May 8, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,742 of 9,329
i am looking for amp for 700.

i am using solid state right now and i think it gets fatiguing very fast. reason seems to be very high resolution with iron fisted control solid state has on drivers. so i am looking at two options.

schiit vali
project ember.

can any of these make 700 the way i want?

also i am planning to use ember at 35 ohm output impedence to give up little control over driver. will that mellow them a little?

or i should go full tube?

i have few under budget

littledot mk3
lafigaro 336c
schiit valhalla

any recommendations are welcome.

thanks.

May 8, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #3,744 of 9,329
I made this about 2 weeks ago. To my ears. It's an upgrade over stock. I used silver Teflon mil-spec 20awg for it. Amphenol trs.
Cheers

Well, I'm not making a cable exactly, I'm making a kind of adapter for my boom pro mic cable for gaming.

I've made tons of cables for headphones and generally do for every headphone I own, but I don't feel like I need to for the HD700 yet. I don't mind the stock somehow.

May 8, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #3,746 of 9,329
I know OTL is output transformer less, but what is TOTL .  I am using an OTL right now and enjoy it a great deal.  BTW what do you call these little one tube wonder amps like this Bravo Audio amp I bought.  I can't see any transformers on that little thing LOL but one might well be hidden in extreme miniature. It sounds quite good actually and responds nicely to a good tube roll.

I

May 8, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #3,748 of 9,329

Users who are viewing this thread

Back