Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 3, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,726 of 9,326
Zero, though it's a 3.5 mm, not 6.4 mm

I used it to try the 700s with a Mjolnir.  Hacked the end off to fit an XLR connector.

It's very thin.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #1,727 of 9,326
Would that need modification to fit?

Zero, though it's a 3.5 mm, not 6.4 mm

I used it to try the 700s with a Mjolnir.  Hacked the end off to fit an XLR connector.

It's very thin.

I did the same thing. I hacked the 3.5mm connector off and added some paracord before adding on a 4-pin XLR.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,730 of 9,326
Now, there's a first....

Quick, call Ripley.... Yeah, you know.... Believe it or not...!!!   http://www.ripleys.com/

Quote:Saoshyant
 Disclaimer:  I have an odd sense of humor.  Just figured I should give fair warning.

Join the club..

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #1,732 of 9,326
My sense of humor has damned my soul if I have one
tongue.gif

Well you live in Austin so you already know the answer to that one...

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,734 of 9,326
I had to do it I guess, just got some HD700's. Got some used but with less than (supposedly) 100hrs on them. Sound real good out of my Lyr amp, very similar to my HD650 but a little better in most areas. Not night and day but well worth it at the same time.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,735 of 9,326
Have anyone tried HD700 SE and Balanced through AK240?
Would like to hear some impressions as well with comparisons to other source & headphones. :)

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,737 of 9,326
  Does anyone have any impressions on how the HD700's compare with the Beyer T1's? 

I'm going to my local headphone shop tomorrow which has a T1 demo. I can leave some quick impressions after I try it, as I own the HD700. 

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,738 of 9,326
  I'm going to my local headphone shop tomorrow which has a T1 demo. I can leave some quick impressions after I try it, as I own the HD700. 

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.  I actually like the T1's a lot, but with some music the high end can be a little harsh for me (even with warm OTL tube amps).  I also own the HD650's which I absolutely love and will never part with.  I think when I listen to the T1's, I adjust the volume to the mid-range which makes the highs painful at times.  It's easy to say, just adjust for the highs, but then I have a mid-range I'm not terribly happy with (because it feels recessed).  When I compare frequency response charts between the T1 and HD700 they both have a high-end spike, but the T1's spike is more powerful with an amplitude above the mid-range.  Whereas the HD700 is similar, but the mid-range is still the most "forward" (maybe that's the wrong word).  By the way, I'm not a big FR chart guy, but it was just something I was looking at.  

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #1,739 of 9,326
I owned both but not at the same time but as I recall I think I noticed the hot treble a lot more often on the T1 than on the HD700's. I DID hear it on both phones but it was a very rare recording where it would bother me with the 700's. I still liked the T1's a lot though and have been considering getting another pair while some places still have them on sale. I have never had any phone with better detail retrieval and the soundstage and imaging is right up there with the best too.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #1,740 of 9,326

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.  I actually like the T1's a lot, but with some music the high end can be a little harsh for me (even with warm OTL tube amps).  I also own the HD650's which I absolutely love and will never part with.  I think when I listen to the T1's, I adjust the volume to the mid-range which makes the highs painful at times.  It's easy to say, just adjust for the highs, but then I have a mid-range I'm not terribly happy with (because it feels recessed).  When I compare frequency response charts between the T1 and HD700 they both have a high-end spike, but the T1's spike is more powerful with an amplitude above the mid-range.  Whereas the HD700 is similar, but the mid-range is still the most "forward" (maybe that's the wrong word).  By the way, I'm not a big FR chart guy, but it was just something I was looking at.  

Keep in mind I'm not the best at describing sound but I'll try and outline any differences I spot. 
On that note, for some (rare) songs I can't listen to the HD700 as loud as I'd like due to a peak in the highs as well. 
On the other hand, the HD700's are described as having spectacular mids (at least in the reviews I've read) which I tend to agree with. Vocals sound amazing.
Anyway, we'll talk more tomorrow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back