Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 6, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #6,527 of 6,714
May 6, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #6,529 of 6,714
I’m thinking there is a good chance it’s the rumored HD 6xx closed back headphone and would be my first guess based on the teaser video. It could possibly be something else altogether though.
Came up on my Google News feed as HD620 closed backs. Then when I clicked on the page it went to Sennheiser and said 404?

May 6, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #6,530 of 6,714
It looks like it's 150 ohms, but uses a driver that's sized closer to the 6-series than the 5. I am hyped at seeing the pre-announcement pieces getting put into place. I assume a proper reveal will be soon. I hope the ear cup resonances and bass extension are well managed by the design.

May 6, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #6,531 of 6,714
Came up on my Google News feed as HD620 closed backs. Then when I clicked on the page it went to Sennheiser and said 404?
Possibly a glitch that announced the name too soon and got taken down. Sounds like it is likely indeed that closed back.

It looks like it's 150 ohms, but uses a driver that's sized closer to the 6-series than the 5. I am hyped at seeing the pre-announcement pieces getting put into place. I assume a proper reveal will be soon. I hope the ear cup resonances and bass extension are well managed by the design.
Looking like the info I saw on a HD 620 months ago is correct. I’m thinking the driver if the 150 ohm figure is correct is likely based off the HD 660S/700 driver with maybe some tweaks to it. I’m also curious about the pads, if they are more of microfiber/velour type or more pleather.

May 6, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #6,532 of 6,714
Possibly a glitch that announced the name too soon and got taken down. Sounds like it is likely indeed that closed back.

Looking like the info I saw on a HD 620 months ago is correct. I’m thinking the driver if the 150 ohm figure is correct is likely based off the HD 660S/700 driver with maybe some tweaks to it. I’m also curious about the pads, if they are more of microfiber/velour type or more pleather.
I was surprised to see it on Google News before Head-Fi. But then it went 404 page not found. Probably a screw up at Sennheiser. But they did call it a HD620, unless that was a mistake too.

May 6, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #6,533 of 6,714

From the pics I saw, it's definitely pleather! The new pads are one major departure from the current 6-series. I wonder what else they changed for the tuning/performance??

May 6, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #6,534 of 6,714
From the pics I saw, it's definitely pleather! The new pads are one major departure from the current 6-series. I wonder what else they changed for the tuning/performance??
Was hoping they would be more microfiber or something. Pleather is quite hit or miss in terms of comfort and breathability, hopefully it’s a breathable pleather so my ears don’t get sweaty. Very curious as well. Oh yeah looking at the picture definitely looks like pleather and the driver is more exposed (no metal mesh going on like the HD 6xx line). So the picture I saw giving details on a HD 620S was definitely correct then as the picture looks the same even.

May 6, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #6,535 of 6,714
No dual cable connection? No balanced? That's a deal breaker for me.

May 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #6,536 of 6,714
No dual cable connection? No balanced? That's a deal breaker for me.
The 560S can be run balanced, so my guess is the 620S will be too. We'll see once they formally announce the thing. Fwiw, I'm ok with single-entry cables as long as they're not completely proprietary or unreliable. The 560S uses a common locking 2.5mm wire. Luckily, I have a balanced cable that already fits.

May 6, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #6,537 of 6,714
The 560S can be run balanced, so my guess is the 620S will be too. We'll see once they formally announce the thing. Fwiw, I'm ok with single-entry cables as long as they're not completely proprietary or unreliable. The 560S uses a common locking 2.5mm wire. Luckily, I have a balanced cable that already fits.
Yeah I think they can be ran balanced if it’s using the HD 560S/400 Pro setup which it looks like it does. Definitely keeping an eye on these, recently got a closed back in the form of the DT 770 Pro X LE, while it has a replaceable cable the Beyer can’t be run balanced without modification, but it’s so easy to drive well I don’t really care much.

The Beyer’s have a different sound profile (being v-shaped) than the new upcoming HD 620S which seems to be targeting the Harman curve. They may be very good complimentary closed-backs for me. Starting to delve a bit more into closed-backs recently and hopefully this closed Senn gets it right, I’ve had mixed experiences in the past.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #6,538 of 6,714
I was on the fence about the S2s. Until my iBasso DX170 arrived today. What a game changer.
Was running it off the Topping DX3 before. But running it balanced on the DX170, the midrange veil has now been lifted. The soundstage has opened up. Much more detail and clarity. Better separation. Still no fatigue. Not sure I need anything else at this point (at least until I try my other cans with the DX170 :yum:)

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #6,539 of 6,714
i hate the mixed feelings i have with both the s2 and the 109
i always go back to the s2 when i miss the buttering smooth treble and natural tuning. it is such a pleasure listening to.
the meze is a very fun headphone, but lacks when it comes to clarity the s2 have. also comfort is just like a warm soft pillow with the 109, wish i could eq the 109 to make them similar or better than the s2

for me the s2 don't even require eq, they are so smooth as they are

the s2 sound indeed what they coast, the 109 maybe not so.

Last edited:
May 6, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #6,540 of 6,714
I don’t expect the 620S to outperform the S2 but if it can pull out more refinement from the driver than, say, the 58X (but with moar sub-bass), I’ll be stoked. And the S2 will have a really great brother in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back