Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:04 AM Post #6,196 of 6,728
I've had the Arya v2 before. Totally different beast. Really great staging. 660s2 has staging just above hd600 imo but i wouldn't go to a 600 type headphone for soundstage anyways. I find that in general Hifiman's headphones have been really great for live stage performance-type albums (as long as it isn't the Sundara because as much as I still enjoy that headphone, it's sense of depth is quite shallow).
Can i ask ? Never had Arya , but other lower price Hifiman like Sundara and He series... this metalic sound is it something that all planars have even better ones like Arya ?

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:15 AM Post #6,197 of 6,728
Looking for a balanced (TRRS), silver-plated copper replacement cable for the 660S2s for around $200 or less - any suggestions? :smile_phones:

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:27 AM Post #6,198 of 6,728
You might want to check out Forzaaudio Noir Hybrid HPC, it is a bit more expensive, but very well made. I have it since the HD660S came out. I love the cable.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #6,199 of 6,728
Looking for a balanced (TRRS), silver-plated copper replacement cable for the 660S2s for around $200 or less - any suggestions? :smile_phones:
LQI Cables may come very close to that price range. I really like them.

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:14 AM Post #6,200 of 6,728
I feel that the s2 is somewhat underrated. Or maybe underappreciated is a better term. I think that many of the reviewers gave the s2 a mediocre rating without real justification. And I think that in many cases it comes down to user bias. Which would match my own experience.

I owned the 650 for 10+ years. It was my "normal" and the headphone I used as a baseline when testing new headphones. I put it on a pedestal, having put thousands of hours on it. When I picked up the s2, I liked it, but didn't rate it as a successor to the 650. As time went by I suppose my bias lost out to the actual performance and enjoyment of the s2.

Now I make no mistake about it. The s2 is a better sounding and performing headphone than the 650 IMHO. I suspect that some of the reviewers who gave the s2 an average review, had a similar experience that I had...maybe.

Regardless, the s2 is now a daily driver for me and my favorite of the Sennheiser 6x0 lineup.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #6,201 of 6,728
I feel that the s2 is somewhat underrated. Or maybe underappreciated is a better term. I think that many of the reviewers gave the s2 a mediocre rating without real justification. And I think that in many cases it comes down to user bias. Which would match my own experience.

I owned the 650 for 10+ years. It was my "normal" and the headphone I used as a baseline when testing new headphones. I put it on a pedestal, having put thousands of hours on it. When I picked up the s2, I liked it, but didn't rate it as a successor to the 650. As time went by I suppose my bias lost out to the actual performance and enjoyment of the s2.

Now I make no mistake about it. The s2 is a better sounding and performing headphone than the 650 IMHO. I suspect that some of the reviewers who gave the s2 an average review, had a similar experience that I had...maybe.

Regardless, the s2 is now a daily driver for me and my favorite of the Sennheiser 6x0 lineup.
I think what you described along with launch price are the factors that caused the S2 to have an initial reception that was less than what it deserved in terms of performance.

Feb 22, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #6,202 of 6,728
Can i ask ? Never had Arya , but other lower price Hifiman like Sundara and He series... this metalic sound is it something that all planars have even better ones like Arya ?
I would say yes. If you find the Sundara to have a metallic or unnatural sound, then you'll probably find the higher end egg shaped Hifimans even worse in that regard. The Sundara is probably the most natural sounding of them all in terms of timbre

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #6,203 of 6,728
I think what you described along with launch price are the factors that caused the S2 to have an initial reception that was less than what it deserved in terms of performance.

Reception is fine for those who actually want the sound signature. I can complain about a ton of different headphones that people love. I find Sundara to be too bright and heavy. Yet some people think they are Hifiman's blessing to the world.

Also avoid social media influencers on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, etc. They are only there to sell product and most of them have their own bias and subjective opinion. When someone breaks out a frequency response graph it's even worse.

Everyone has different tastes. The 660S2 exceeds mine. Well worth the $399 I paid for them on sale and TBH I'd probably have paid full MSRP for them.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #6,204 of 6,728
I am very happy with my mine is silver-plated but is cheap around 50£ so it may well underbudget for your taste.

Tripowin altura. Not sure if the sound quality is better than the original Sennheiser balanced one but is beautiful and does not chock me around the neck as the Sennheiser one. I have the same cable for my elex as well

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #6,206 of 6,728
Has anyone ripped those clarity destroying dust covers off under the earpads? You think it will be a problem with dust in the long run?
Yes, I think it will. That is why I put a piece of nylon mesh (better known as a piece of black panty hose my wife volunteered) to cover the driver.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #6,208 of 6,728
Thanks for the tip, Shane. I will try something like that myself too.
I stretched a piece of nylon around the pad tightly and then put it back on. Then my wife used a set of tweezers/small scissors to cut off all the visible nylon around the outside. Works great! :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #6,210 of 6,728
Yes, I think it will. That is why I put a piece of nylon mesh (better known as a piece of black panty hose my wife volunteered) to cover the driver.
What has the world come to? In the good old days we used those to rob banks. Now ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back