Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #6,181 of 6,513
am i stupid?
ever noticed that if you move the pads just a little when they are on the head, it changes the sound Pretty significant? i moved the cans slight more forward and it sounded much better?
Most headphone will change sonically when you shift the position of the pads around your ear. I was shocked at the difference it made with DCA e3.

Feb 15, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #6,182 of 6,513
Most headphone will change sonically when you shift the position of the pads around your ear. I was shocked at the difference it made with DCA e3.
i just find it crazy that the slight mm of change i did made such a huge different in a good way

Feb 15, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #6,183 of 6,513
i just find it crazy that the slight mm of change i did made such a huge different in a good way
If HD6 line headphones have a Huge Difference in audio when u move the pads slight mm , then U should Try Focal Clear ( or the other focals i guess) :) .... This will blow your mind u gone have every day different headphone :)
Joke aside yeah every Headphone will have some changes in sound by moving them , but not huge in my xp , there are some that u can really listen the difference for example Focal, or some B&W p7 that i had , or some AKG and R70X these to my head do sound different depending the angle . But others like HD6 line or Hifimans HE, Sundara nope they sound like 99% the same. But again maybe tha shape of the head or ear makes a difference ... If its in a good way and u like it then forget it and enjoy it :)

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #6,184 of 6,513
ever noticed that if you move the pads just a little when they are on the head, it changes the sound Pretty significant?
This is a known trick to attenuate the upper mids on Beyers. :hear_no_evil:

But guess what, I apply the same trick for my all Sennheisers. Here's an excerpt from an old post I made in another forum:

Here’s some context on my favorite positioning with the HD800S. Pardon my lack of GIMP skills and lack of scaling/rotation/etc.

The key is the red line where that part of my ear is touching the pad on that specific position. This is what I found to be my favorite sound, tonal-wise. Loudness-wise, one can always adjust in the volume/gain knob.
1708033068922.png

As always, YMMV...

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #6,185 of 6,513
Its been a full year since I've had the HD660S2's, time flies!
While we're on the topic of earpads, I just replaced mine with new, fresh pads. It's such a surreal experience. My original pads are compressed by 5mm in the middle, although it sucks to be throwing them out this early, it feels like a worthy sacrifice as they were used for expanding the initial headband clamping force.
I'm getting a less aggressive upper mid presence, treble feels more like a spike rather than a wide band, I think there's less bass, mids are clearer and less resonant, and definitely a wider soundstage. It's almost like buying a new headphone without having to spend more than $50 :smile:

I'm also using the foam covers this time instead of using nylon, totally new experience for sure.

Feb 17, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #6,186 of 6,513
Its been a full year since I've had the HD660S2's, time flies!
While we're on the topic of earpads, I just replaced mine with new, fresh pads. It's such a surreal experience. My original pads are compressed by 5mm in the middle, although it sucks to be throwing them out this early, it feels like a worthy sacrifice as they were used for expanding the initial headband clamping force.
I'm getting a less aggressive upper mid presence, treble feels more like a spike rather than a wide band, I think there's less bass, mids are clearer and less resonant, and definitely a wider soundstage. It's almost like buying a new headphone without having to spend more than $50 :smile:

I'm also using the foam covers this time instead of using nylon, totally new experience for sure.
Foam covers?
New pads, (stock sennheiser pads?)

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #6,188 of 6,513
Foam covers?
New pads, (stock sennheiser pads?)
Stock pads for sure, tried pad rolling with HD600's a long time ago with 6 different sets, I learned to just stick with what works when it comes to Sennheisers :sweat_smile:
The foam on the inside, between the pads and driver. Some people take out the foam insert and use nylon to add mid/treble response.

There definitely could be a sound change given all the physical of properties of foam vs nylon. For me however, it was simply because the feeling of foam touching my ears is way different than nylon so it feels like a totally different headphone.

Feb 17, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #6,189 of 6,513
Well did I make a mistake and not buy a second hand set of 660s2 for a offer £270. I thought about it for too long. And now sold ....um .
But I have a mint hd580 . And the hd600 new version plus a mint second hand 660s . But you never know ...
Do I need another ...lol .

Feb 17, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #6,190 of 6,513
Stock pads for sure, tried pad rolling with HD600's a long time ago with 6 different sets, I learned to just stick with what works when it comes to Sennheisers :sweat_smile:
Agree with your statement 100%. I’ve owned the HD600 since 2003 and tried different pads a couple of times. Came back to authentic Sennheiser stock pads. They work the best and are actually comfortable. I replace them every two years or so with new ones because, as we all know, the pads flatten eventually. Especially if you use your headphone often.

Same w/ my HD800 which I bought on Canuck Audio Mart last September. The previous owner had replaced the original pads w/ thick sheepskin leather ones. I didn’t like the fact that my ears sat further away from the drivers than with Senns stock pads. I forked out the money for new original Senns pads which are expensive but worth the price.

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #6,191 of 6,513
Well did I make a mistake and not buy a second hand set of 660s2 for a offer £270. I thought about it for too long. And now sold ....um .
But I have a mint hd580 . And the hd600 new version plus a mint second hand 660s . But you never know ...
Do I need another ...lol .
I was thinking for a long time also buying them because I have all the previous models,but now that I have them I don't regret it and in my opinion S2 are the maybe the best of them all ... Time will tell but I am very happy they are smooth and technically great.
Also u got great price.
But that's just me 😜

Feb 18, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #6,192 of 6,513
It was asked many times here in the past if someone is justified to buy the 660s2 to use only with a dongle and without having a proper desktop system.

I believed yes even in the past but I am definitely more certain nowadays.

If you are interested you can find more details in my review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-ka17.26982/reviews#review-33039

I was testing extensively yesterday where I realise again what I have said already in the past. The resolution and dynamics in s2 in comparison to s1 appear initially subtle but there are significant enough to make finally all the difference in the world.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #6,193 of 6,513
How do these compare to the Hifiman Arya v2 (non-stealth)?

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #6,194 of 6,513
How do these compare to the Hifiman Arya v2 (non-stealth)?
I've had the Arya v2 before. Totally different beast. Really great staging. 660s2 has staging just above hd600 imo but i wouldn't go to a 600 type headphone for soundstage anyways. I find that in general Hifiman's headphones have been really great for live stage performance-type albums (as long as it isn't the Sundara because as much as I still enjoy that headphone, it's sense of depth is quite shallow).

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #6,195 of 6,513
I've had the Arya v2 before. Totally different beast. Really great staging. 660s2 has staging just above hd600 imo but i wouldn't go to a 600 type headphone for soundstage anyways. I find that in general Hifiman's headphones have been really great for live stage performance-type albums (as long as it isn't the Sundara because as much as I still enjoy that headphone, it's sense of depth is quite shallow).
Thanks for your input!

I heard the HE-1000 (don't remember if it was the V2 or SE) but that was the impression I got. I also found it did well for cinematic/soundtrack kind of music but wasn't as engaging for rock and metal. Not sure about other genres.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back