Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 10, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #3,257 of 6,501
FYI, the HD660S2 are on sale @ 699 in Canada.

https://baybloorradio.com/sennheiser-hd660s2-headphones
Cool I was there today auditioning some closed back phones while a friend was buying some Focal Bathys. Have to say the S2, tonally where, although open, had the best overall sound IMHO. The HD820 were my preferred closed back, did not like the Stellia at all. The Dan Clarke Aeon came in 2nd and the Meze Liric had a lot of upper harmonic sibilance and did not fair well at all, disappointing.
C5391B98-5891-41A2-8192-AE6110F9AECC.jpeg0EDE1FDD-C0E1-4974-9BB0-B46E9272F7EE.jpeg

Apr 10, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #3,258 of 6,501
Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #3,259 of 6,501
Apr 10, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #3,260 of 6,501
Cool I was there today auditioning some closed back phones while a friend was buying some Focal Bathys. Have to say the S2, tonally where, although open, had the best overall sound IMHO. The HD820 were my preferred closed back, did not like the Stellia at all. The Dan Clarke Aeon came in 2nd and the Meze Liric had a lot of upper harmonic sibilance and did not fair well at all, disappointing.
C5391B98-5891-41A2-8192-AE6110F9AECC.jpeg0EDE1FDD-C0E1-4974-9BB0-B46E9272F7EE.jpeg
Man I would be in trouble with a store like that around me. :smile:
Nothing like that in Halifax.

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #3,261 of 6,501
Man I would be in trouble with a store like that around me. :smile:
Nothing like that in Halifax.
I first heard the HD650 when they came out at Peak Audio on Agricola when I was down visiting family, at $649 Can they were considered absurdly expensive back then. : )
Bay Bloor now has a decent headphone setup with a fairly good selection, picked up my original HD800 there.

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #3,263 of 6,501
I first heard the HD650 when they came out at Peak Audio on Agricola when I was down visiting family, at $649 Can they were considered absurdly expensive back then. : )
Bay Bloor now has a decent headphone setup with a fairly good selection, picked up my original HD800 there.
I started off buying at Glubes back in 2014, but they weren't carrying much of anything over $500.00.

I bought two channel and surround sound gear at Peak, but they weren't carrying much of anything in the way of headphones when I called.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #3,264 of 6,501
Got my HD800S just after they were available and have been through 5 or 6 pairs of pads so far since, same for my Urbanites which have a similar material .... the velour on the 6XX's do not do this, they just get flattened.

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 10.14.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 10.14.23 AM.png

Are those flakes to dampen the eardrum a bit? Seems a bit scary, but I trust they found the best material for sonic perfection.

I have never seen that with velour. Last time a pad flaked, it was those GIGANTIC XB1000 by Sony.

comment_p3CNmyiSajRS1IMo4QA70XkaQgOKqPhG.jpg

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #3,265 of 6,501
Are those flakes to dampen the eardrum a bit? Seems a bit scary, but I trust they found the best material for sonic perfection.

I have never seen that with velour. Last time a pad flaked, it was those GIGANTIC XB1000 by Sony.
It is not velour but Alcantara, very different…almost like felt but glued to a substrate. Velour seem to last forever and I can usually wash mine until the inner foam loses its body.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #3,266 of 6,501

comment_p3CNmyiSajRS1IMo4QA70XkaQgOKqPhG.jpg
This woman really looks to be moved by the music, not gonna lie

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #3,267 of 6,501
Apr 11, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #3,268 of 6,501
Please allow me to ask some advice.

I have owned an HD660S2 for a couple of weeks around 2 month ago and I found it very balanced and good, more complete than many other headphones I have tried. Then I have returned it as I was hunting for a more musical (slightly fun?) headphone.

I’m fairly new to the headphones world - about 3 months - and changed already too many and certainly more headphones than I would have ever expected.
In chronological order:
Amiron home, DT880 600 ohms, NDH30, HD660S2, Arya SE, Meze Elite, HE1000V2, HE6SE.
I’m still owning the Elite and about to return the HE1000V2.
I thought the latter was my ideal headphones but in fact the lack of bass (IMO) put me off. It’s like “oh I love this headphone but” feeling all the time I listen with it.
The Elite is great, and from a musical point of view my favourite, but it’s not enough precise and accurate, sometimes. I got the new pads yesterday and It feels much better.

I have borrowed the Solitaire P a couple of days ago and while very good I am not sure it’s worth the price. Perhaps I had too high expectations.

So as you can imagine my question is: shall I try again the S2?

My gear as changed since I got it the first time, moved from Okto dac8 and pass labs HPA1 to Gustard X26pro and Ferrum combo. The Gustard will leave soon and make space for the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

I was an analogue 2ch guy and for necessity I’m extending to digital and headphones which will be my 90% listening habit.

I listen to classic rock blues and jazz and like wide soundstage, details precision, musicality, transparency and don’t like dark, boomy, clinical, monitor like headphones.

Oh, I have also the tendency to reject headphones which don’t meet my aesthetic codes, I like clean and simple lines and not so into wood e.g. ZMF.

Hopefully I can find some food for thoughts here. Many thanks.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #3,269 of 6,501
The music should bring fun, not the listening chain.
You bought yourself through so much gear in 3 months and "still haven't found what you are looking for..."
Re-buy the HD660S2 and listen, listen, listen.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #3,270 of 6,501
Please allow me to ask some advice.

I have owned an HD660S2 for a couple of weeks around 2 month ago and I found it very balanced and good, more complete than many other headphones I have tried. Then I have returned it as I was hunting for a more musical (slightly fun?) headphone.

I’m fairly new to the headphones world - about 3 months - and changed already too many and certainly more headphones than I would have ever expected.
In chronological order:
Amiron home, DT880 600 ohms, NDH30, HD660S2, Arya SE, Meze Elite, HE1000V2, HE6SE.
I’m still owning the Elite and about to return the HE1000V2.
I thought the latter was my ideal headphones but in fact the lack of bass (IMO) put me off. It’s like “oh I love this headphone but” feeling all the time I listen with it.
The Elite is great, and from a musical point of view my favourite, but it’s not enough precise and accurate, sometimes. I got the new pads yesterday and It feels much better.

I have borrowed the Solitaire P a couple of days ago and while very good I am not sure it’s worth the price. Perhaps I had too high expectations.

So as you can imagine my question is: shall I try again the S2?

My gear as changed since I got it the first time, moved from Okto dac8 and pass labs HPA1 to Gustard X26pro and Ferrum combo. The Gustard will leave soon and make space for the Holo Spring 3 KTE.

I was an analogue 2ch guy and for necessity I’m extending to digital and headphones which will be my 90% listening habit.

I listen to classic rock blues and jazz and like wide soundstage, details precision, musicality, transparency and don’t like dark, boomy, clinical, monitor like headphones.

Oh, I have also the tendency to reject headphones which don’t meet my aesthetic codes, I like clean and simple lines and not so into wood e.g. ZMF.

Hopefully I can find some food for thoughts here. Many thanks.
Wow you've owned quite a few killer headphones! Honestly the only headphones that I might suggest are all wood. The TH-900 is a bass thumping machine, though the highs are a a bit hot/sibilant. The ZMF Atrium Closed is just as visceral as the TH-900 but with much softer highs and an overall more approachable tuning. Both are musical and engaging. There's the Atticus as well which can be had under $1K used fairly often in the classifieds. I know, more wood, sorry. Maybe look into the Focal Stellia? I found it really engaging, though I prefer my ZMFs to it. I get not liking certain looks, but if sound quality is paramount, IMO it's worth expanding your search to include some stuff that you'd otherwise pass on. Especially given you've tried so many high end sets and not liked them. If you passed on the S2 already, personally I wouldn't bother going back. I've done that myself, sold a set and repurchased later. Almost every time I end up reselling them again as my initial impressions held up. If you do go back to the S2, maybe try a tube amplifier? You have a lot of solid state gear, maybe tubes are the way? High impedance headphones like Sennheisers and ZMF sound amazing on tubes, and IMO much better than solid state. That would be the only way i'd try an S2 again as it will sound quite different on tubes. I run my S2 on tubes, and when I try it on my Jotunheim 2 solid state, it looses it's magic for me.

Tubes...this is the way!

1681223613430.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back