Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 1, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #2,956 of 6,501
Yes notice the glossy housing on the HD 650 and the non glossy on the HD 660 S2. Only the HD 650 has that glossy plastic on the earcups.

Yeah that is some wild wild west stuff. I mean, all the power to him for having the cojones to do surgery on the s2 XD

I've only swapped capsules (mostly to experiment with different clamps), cable, and pads for 580 and i tried 660 capsule in older wider headband with older pads etc.

But yeah, thank you for paving the road for others equalspeace LOL

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,957 of 6,501
I think the mesh is different on the HD 600/650 than the HD 660S/S2. I believe it was said the HD 660S/S2 uses a stainless steel mesh, whereas it's an acoustic silk on the HD 600/650.
At leat the mesh on the HD660S and HD660S2 is identical looking, and the HD650 did not look different in that regards.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #2,958 of 6,501
I guess it is the same as like painting the HD800S black to make people feel it has less treble. You like the HD650 more and now the driver of the 660S2 in the old housing sound better, ha! Sonical memory is very short, how long did it take you to switch the drivers? 5 seconds?

2-3 minutes swap. Don't knock it till you hear it ha
You took the actual drivers out and swapped them???

Am I missing something here ? XD

You took the s2 driver and put it into the actual housing of the 650, and that fits, but not vice versa? Please clarify if possible :p

*** I see you somewhat clarified in upper post. Not sure if relevant, but 580 drivers (especially early) sound fantastic in the 660 shell, with newer cable and that custom cans donut if it's just left empty. As in the whole 580 capsule with added clamp and copper or nickle donut. I think it sounds better than stock 580, though sad to not see 580 classic grills YMMV

Yes, I popped both drivers completely out of their housings. The housings make a huge difference in the tuning of each headphone as do the grills. One can easily mix and match between all 6 series HPs to preference, with the exception of putting previous gen drivers in the S2 housings as I said.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,959 of 6,501
Yeah that is some wild wild west stuff. I mean, all the power to him for having the cojones to do surgery on the s2 XD

I've only swapped capsules (mostly to experiment with different clamps), cable, and pads for 580 and i tried 660 capsule in older wider headband with older pads etc.

But yeah, thank you for paving the road for others equalspeace LOL
I've swapped the HD 600 and HD 650 drivers before, did get a different sound on both doing that, seems both the drivers and housing was a bit different even on the HD 600 vs HD 650. Never tried it with the HD 660 S, etc. with the older Senns though. It's not difficult, just have to be a bit careful.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #2,960 of 6,501
2-3 minutes swap. Don't knock it till you hear it ha

Yes, I popped both drivers completely out of their housings. The housings make a huge difference in the tuning of each headphone as do the grills. One can easily mix and match between all 6 series HPs to preference, with the exception of putting previous gens in the S2 housings as I said.

YOU ARE INSANE!

But , thanks for the clarification.

I would assume you tested the capsule first (as to see the sound with clamp differences)

and I am going to assume, you did this experiment, and then found this endgame sound (ruling out clamp, and concluding it is indeed the housing)

And agree absolutely, you can mix and match components to get a slightly different sound with the 6 series parts, though in many cases, you're on your own (not many other reviews on them) like with stock models

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #2,961 of 6,501

Wish I would've had that when they bit through both the tiny outside cables on the Beyerdynamic 900 X PRO - Great headphones, if they wouldn't be broken, I would've probably not tried the S2 yet I'm glad I did so as even though they toned the treble peak down on this model, treble still sounds a lot less fatiguing and still realistic on the S2. They definitely trigger my tinnitus and I almost did not want to admit it as they sound really nice.

Thanks I guess Lotti.
1680378990214.png

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #2,962 of 6,501
YOU ARE INSANE!

But , thanks for the clarification.

I would assume you tested the capsule first (as to see the sound with clamp differences)

and I am going to assume, you did this experiment, and then found this endgame sound (ruling out clamp, and concluding it is indeed the housing)

And agree absolutely, you can mix and match components to get a slightly different sound with the 6 series parts, though in many cases, you're on your own (not many other reviews on them) like with stock models

Yes I am 😂

Trust me though gents. This sound is it. It's just about perfect.

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #2,963 of 6,501
I've swapped the HD 600 and HD 650 drivers before, did get a different sound on both doing that, seems both the drivers and housing was a bit different even on the HD 600 vs HD 650. Never tried it with the HD 660 S, etc. with the older Senns though. It's not difficult, just have to be a bit careful.

Yes absolutely! Since all the housings have different materials like black paper, white paper, acoustic silk, and the stainless steel mesh. I'm not surprised.

IIRC you did transplant the 660 into hd545/565? Something like that.

Anyway, very interesting, especially since the s2 is so new, and at MSRP, not many would tear into them like that. Hilarious!

Apr 1, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,964 of 6,501
Yea the springs will pop out on the S2 driver when removed from the housing. The springs make contact w the wire connectors when you insert the wire. The springs/wires going to driver are also crossed on the S2. They are parallel on the 650/600. Have to pop them back in in a crossed pattern before inserting them back into a housing.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,965 of 6,501
I guess it is the same as like painting the HD800S black to make people feel it has less treble. You like the HD650 more and now the driver of the 660S2 in the old housing sound better, ha! Sonical memory is very short, how long did it take you to switch the drivers? 5 seconds?
I guess you missed my post about aural memory? Apart from other things I made the point that, as a musician, I would be screwed if I couldn’t remember what my instrument was supposed to sound like from one practice session/concert to the next. And how do you remember what the colour red is? Visual memory. Why assume aural memory is worse?

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,966 of 6,501
Oof... Bass performance is spot on in this config! Deeper and more skull shaking but still clean AF. HOLY SH#T..

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #2,968 of 6,501
DSC_0679.JPG

660S2 is empty now as the 650 driver does not fit in that housing.
Now use the empty frame in live concerts, it will sound terrific! End game! lol

Apr 1, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #2,969 of 6,501
Listening to DJ Shadow's The Mountain Will Fall. It's a great album to test a headphones capability in doing many different types of bass textures and this 650S2 has gotten me shook over here passing w flying colors. There's just layers of sounds, w excellent body, tonality and this accurate bass providing a very satisfying backdrop. . 650 could always thump a bit, but w this driver the the agility/nimbleness is there. Amazing.

The very lowest of the lows is still not perfectly produced, however, as is the case w all of these 6 series drivers. This config def does the lower bass better than the stock S2 though.

X off the Black Panther soundtrack is another great test.

Grade: Pass ha

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #2,970 of 6,501
Listening to DJ Shadow's The Mountain Will Fall. It's a great album to test a headphones capability in doing many different types of bass textures and this 650S2 has gotten me shook over here passing w flying colors. There's just layers of sounds, w excellent body, tonality and this accurate bass providing a very satisfying backdrop. . 650 could always thump a bit, but w this driver the the agility/nimbleness is there. Amazing.

The very lowest of the lows is still not perfectly produced, however, as is the case w all of these 6 series drivers. This config def does the lower bass better than the stock S2 though.
At last, a worthy opponent to that Neumann thing! lol

(Sorry for the humour, just returned from an italian dinner, that little limoncello liqueur at the end is to blame!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back