Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #2,851 of 6,502
but why let random talking heads online influence you? if you're in the US amazon has a hassle free, free return policy. why not try them and know for yourself vs assuming based on said talking heads (myself included)? i personally put zero value in youtube reviews. i would much rather just try the item in question, and if it doesn't work out, it goes back to amazon and cash back in my pocket. no risk, other than the timing of cash flow.
True, but that would make all reviews and discussion nearly pointless. I’m just interested though by the fact that there’s a consensus amoung the talking heads on YT which is different from the consensus here. Curious!

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #2,852 of 6,502
As always! The thing which surprises me somewhat with the reactions to the S2 is that they seem to be generally either love it or indifferent. I would more easily understand love it or hate it….

There's not something to be hated about these headphones. It's not pretending to be something that is not delivering.

Some people get indifferent because they might not be so different from the previous iterations of HD6x family.
Some people get indifferent because of the release/asking price.

Hate it for that? I don't think so. Getting set off or indifferent? Perhaps more so.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,853 of 6,502
As always! The thing which surprises me somewhat with the reactions to the S2 is that they seem to be generally either love it or indifferent. I would more easily understand love it or hate it….
I can only go by my personal experiences in this hobby, the S2 doesn't stand out in anyway obvious way. The only way I can sum it up is that they IMHO sound correct, full range, nothing missing or irritating, I really don't feel anything is wanting when listening to music as I felt with the 600, 650 and 660S.....so far. : )

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,856 of 6,502
True, but that would make all reviews and discussion nearly pointless. I’m just interested though by the fact that there’s a consensus amoung the talking heads on YT which is different from the consensus here. Curious!
i hear you on the curiosity! i'm always curious about new gear, and love the experience of trying new stuff almost as much as the music itself. so i unfortunately always on the crazy train of new stuff in to try while old stuff either stays if it resonates strongly, or out to fund the new stuff haha.

this is just my opinion, and i'm a skeptical ahole by nature, but i humbly believe most reviewers are either doing it to make money, or to try new stuff themselves, and hence just churn out mostly shallow, inoffensive check the boxes reviews that please the vendors so they get more stuff to try. i know that's harsh, and not wholly true, there are some honest good people trying their best to help their fellow hobbyists. but IMO they're far and few in between. so i put very little stock in them, other than to visually see the product get some top level info when i want to listen vs read. forums are good when you find a few trusted voices that you can rely on. those members i like to read as i can triangulate my own preferences to theirs, to give me an idea how a potential product might work for me. but mostly it's just noise to me. i mean no offense to anyone here and out on the interwebs, i'm just being honest. and to the ones that really try to help the community, thank you all. again, i'm just an old skeptic that's becoming a "get off my lawn" type.

1680109765996.png

Mar 29, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #2,857 of 6,502
i hear you on the curiosity! i'm always curious about new gear, and love the experience of trying new stuff almost as much as the music itself. so i unfortunately always on the crazy train of new stuff in to try while old stuff either stays if it resonates strongly, or out to fund the new stuff haha.

this is just my opinion, and i'm a skeptical ahole by nature, but i humbly believe most reviewers are either doing it to make money, or to try new stuff themselves, and hence just churn out mostly shallow, inoffensive check the boxes reviews that please the vendors so they get more stuff to try. i know that's harsh, and not wholly true, there are some honest good people trying their best to help their fellow hobbyists. but IMO they're far and few in between. so i put very little stock in them, other than to visually see the product get some top level info when i want to listen vs read. forums are good when you find a few trusted voices that you can rely on. those members i like to read as i can triangulate my own preferences to theirs, to give me an idea how a potential product might work for me. but mostly it's just noise to me. i mean no offense to anyone here and out on the interwebs, i'm just being honest. and to the ones that really try to help the community, thank you all. again, i'm just an old skeptic that's becoming a "get off my lawn" type.

1680109765996.png
1680110855692.jpeg

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,858 of 6,502
Getting back to the S2..one new area over the previous brethren besides the bass that I've noticed more than a few times is the distinct layering, when available, from the forefront to to the back. The individual elements have a slightly better 3 dimensional effect, more air and I'm also noticing not just depth layering but better height and directional cues.
Obviously these are all just auditory illusions but anyone else having similar observations?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,859 of 6,502
Getting back to the S2..one new area over the previous brethren besides the bass that I've noticed more than a few times is the distinct layering, when available, from the forefront to to the back. The individual elements have a slightly better 3 dimensional effect, more air and I'm also noticing not just depth layering but better height and directional cues.
Obviously these are all just auditory illusions but anyone else having similar observations?
agree 100%. I think it comes down to the S2's more clear and vivid detail vs the older unit's hazier presentation. it allows for more precise tracking of the sound in space. whatever it is, i hear it also. the 600/650 give you a general sense of where each instrument sits in space, but the S2 brings that info sharper focus with more layering and less overlap. and the audio field seems larger. not HD800 large, but larger than the older models.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,860 of 6,502
I came back to this thread as curiosity was beginning to get the better of me. I saw this and I’m glad I did. Yet another reviewer who says pretty much the same thing - good headphone but just different rather than better than the 600/650 (and in fact in some ways not as good) and certainly not more resolving overall. And over priced. Im sure they suit some people well, but I’m now convinced that it’s not an upgrade to the others, or a different tuning that I would prefer.
You really need to try headphones yourself and ignore reviews, it's how you experience the sound that matters. If I had listened to reviews I wouldn't have bought anything and if bought on Amazon you can easily send them back. You have nothing to lose 🤷‍♂️

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #2,861 of 6,502
This always gets me, I'm old school and when many of these young reviewers mention the lack of metal, which first of all is heavier, corrodes, oxidizes, dents, bends has to be produced in massive foundries, but is used where neccesary, yolks, mesh, wire and driver....well what can one say.

The S2 costs a whooping $599 and heaven forbid might last 20 years which will work out to 0.082 cents a day excluding inflation....in this hobby where we beg, borrow or steal to fuel our passion and our area of disproportionate spending... if one can sacrifice a $1.65 a day for one year they can be yours, or pay up front and then put $1.65 a day in a piggy bank for 365 days. Sorry if it takes away from ones $4 a day ($1460 a year) latte, so headphones or coffee. : )

Also as an example, buy a 1000$ smartphone basically each year and no one bats an eye, spend 600$ on a quality headphone for basically half your life and everyone goes insane. At least that's how family and friends treat me, lol. But they "can't hear a difference" anyway, they state.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,863 of 6,502
Also as an example, buy a 1000$ smartphone basically each year and no one bats an eye, spend 600$ on a quality headphone for basically half your life and everyone goes insane. At least that's how family and friends treat me, lol. But they "can't hear a difference" anyway, they state.
i hear you. none of my friends understands how i'd spend more than $20 on headphones, yet they go to fancy coffee houses and spend at minimum $20 a day on coffee. not starbucks, mind you, they think that's trash. no these are either mom and pop places or a few select chains they deem worthy. i try to tell them we all have our vices, but since mine don't align with theirs, they dont understand.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #2,864 of 6,502
This is of interest to me. It’s strange that none of the reviewers seem to pick up on this, but that’s another issue. I’m interested in whether the S2 is different to the S1 in this regard, or how the S1 fits in. Is it more like the older ones with layering or more like the S2. I suspect the latter and I’d be interested to know how much difference there is between the S1 and S2 in this regard, if any.

Mar 29, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,865 of 6,502
spend 600$ on a quality headphone for basically half your life and everyone goes insane. At least that's how family and friends treat me, lol. But they "can't hear a difference" anyway, they state.
Rule #1, never tell friends or family that you've spent over $59.95 for a pair of headphones. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back