Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,566 of 6,500
To be honest that is how I feel except that I feel it's as if they took the HD580 and HD660S to make the S2 :) , as brought to light by Jermo K at Sennheiser the driver in the S2 is indeed the new evolution with the voice coil and membrane.
Sys40 is the driver in 650 / 600 or in 660s? So essentially it costs 3 times more than the 660s driver or the old ones in the 650/600?

If they manage to have timbre and tonality of 58x/6xx with technicalities of 660s more bass and more treble then yes endgame for sure.

Mar 20, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,567 of 6,500
By the way, what's the deal with Sennheiser giving the Americans all kinds of cheap but very good headphones like the 58x/6xx/8xx and here in Europe we can only buy the way more expensive models? Are we the idiots?
@ericpalonen

Sure we Europeans can order on massdrop too bit with shipping and importtaxes it makes no sense anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #2,568 of 6,500
@Rob80b
Yes I have both K812 & K872 - but I use mostly K812, K712, HI-X65
The K712 is the most comfortable to wear.

Mar 20, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #2,569 of 6,500
I know you are not a Beyer fan - but have anyone compared HD660 S2 with DT 1990 Pro (Amiron home)?
What do you want to know? If you want to know which is the better headphone i would have the s and s2 over the 1990 for just listening to music. I find the 1990 fatiguing personally, I keep going back to them as they sound good but only in short sessions.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #2,570 of 6,500
I know you are not a Beyer fan - but have anyone compared HD660 S2 with DT 1990 Pro (Amiron home)?

Similar to @Colonelbasic above, I find the DT 1990 Pro to be pretty fatiguing, whereas that's kinda the antithesis of the 6X0 line.

It's funny because I consider them (DT 1990 Pro) the be crucial, must-own headphones for my situation but I basically can't stand listening to music on them. I use them exclusively for late night tv/gaming/guitar. They are simply perfect for when I have to play guitar via headphones; I've tried so many things but they've got just the right clarity and balance for monitoring such things. Relaxing and listening to music though? S2 (or any 6X0) is very clearly superior for this purpose in my experience.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #2,571 of 6,500
Another Question
Have anyone compared 660S2 with AKG K712 or K812 too?

Sorry to say that as an Austrian Guy but the 660s2 is also better as K812 or K712 to my ears
(The K812 came at a time when exaggeration in the high frequency range was in fashion)
However, in terms of design/construct, the K812 was and still is worlds ahead of many other competitors...even today 👍

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,572 of 6,500
By the way, what's the deal with Sennheiser giving the Americans all kinds of cheap but very good headphones like the 58x/6xx/8xx and here in Europe we can only buy the way more expensive models? Are we the idiots?
@ericpalonen

Sure we Europeans can order on massdrop too bit with shipping and importtaxes it makes no sense anymore.

Plus early release tours for the IE-200, HD-660S2, regular sales on headphones... the list is long.

They appear to be competing aggressively for market share in the U.S. and they subsidize that with the healthy margins from the European market, which they appear to take for granted in this segment. I guess they are free to do as they please, but we are also free to state that it's messed up to see Made in the EU products available cheaper in the U.S.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #2,573 of 6,500
Plus early release tours for the IE-200, HD-660S2, regular sales on headphones... the list is long.

They appear to be competing aggressively for market share in the U.S. and they subsidize that with the healthy margins from the European market, which they appear to take for granted in this segment. I guess they are free to do as they please, but we are also free to state that it's messed up to see Made in the EU products available cheaper in the U.S.
€370,- for a HD650 in Europe versus $199,- for a HD6XX in the US which is the same headphone is pretty much ridiculous.
Almost double the price.

So we Europeans sponsor the American market? 😄

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #2,575 of 6,500
Ah! So there is a new flagship coming in the foreseeable future.
This is really good to know. Thank you sir for speaking plainly!
Any other “speculations” you may have are welcome :).

Cheers,
Sorry a comparison with the Nutopia would not be fair....all is better...resolution....details...speed in the low end etc etc
For the announced price I was as said really amazed at the HD660S2 which I prefer from its tonal performance to the HD800 anytime 👍

NOMAX

Ps.just keep your eyes open .....who knows...maybe there will be something where a comparison with the French is really worthwhile in the foreseeable future😉

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #2,576 of 6,500
Ah! So there is a new flagship coming in the foreseeable future.
Any other “speculations” you may have are welcome :).

Cheers,

Ps.just keep your eyes open .....who knows...maybe there will be something where a comparison with the French is really worthwhile in the foreseeable future😉
Appears more like an upcoming S6 vs Focal something or other.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #2,577 of 6,500
Appears more like an upcoming S6 vs Focal something or other.
I'd love to see some OG Clear vs S2 comparisons myself. i loved the OG Clear and regret selling it pretty bad. I think the S2's increased technical prowess would put it in direct competition with the Clear, and at half the price. Though I don't have my Clear anymore, from memory I think the S2 would be more than a match for it, with tonal preferences being many people's deciding factor. The S2's resolution really is excellent, and it's got a warmer, more musical and natural balance to it. As much as i love the musical nature of the S2, what really stands out to me is it's resolution and separation. That was never a strong point of the 6 series. Sennheiser put tonal balance and listenability first, it seems like. But with the S2 it has wonderful balance and listenability but with the technical chops to contend with anything outside the top top shelf stuff.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #2,578 of 6,500
I really have to try these at some point, the 660S is one of my favorite tunings in a headphone and my only complain about it is the bass extension, which the S2 apparently has fixed.

I'd love to see some OG Clear vs S2 comparisons myself. i loved the OG Clear and regret selling it pretty bad. I think the S2's increased technical prowess would put it in direct competition with the Clear, and at half the price. Though I don't have my Clear anymore, from memory I think the S2 would be more than a match for it, with tonal preferences being many people's deciding factor. The S2's resolution really is excellent, and it's got a warmer, more musical and natural balance to it. As much as i love the musical nature of the S2, what really stands out to me is it's resolution and separation. That was never a strong point of the 6 series. Sennheiser put tonal balance and listenability first, it seems like. But with the S2 it has wonderful balance and listenability but with the technical chops to contend with anything outside the top top shelf stuff.
I have the Clear MG, and I already think the original HD660S competes with the Clear MG in a few areas. 660S midrange and vocals are better (to my ears), more natural timbre and surprisingly I find the soundstage height is taller on the 660S. And since the S2 has better bass extension, fixing basically my only complaint about the original 660S, I'm willing to bet the S2 will get really close to the Clear level of technical performance.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #2,580 of 6,500
@ericpalonen

We Europeans don't settle for copies, we buy the originals 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back