Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 22, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #1,471 of 6,727
You guys are killing me with these descriptions. I am going to end up sleeping in the backyard if I get anything else delivered.
A56FC049-33F7-4472-82F0-CC37DC6C7140.jpeg

Feb 23, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #1,472 of 6,727
Bummer! Thank you for joining the #HD660S2club and sorry it got off to a rough start. I assure you that they cannot leave the factory like that, though I am perplexed as to how that could have happened given the location and size of that crack. If you run into any other issues please DM me. I'm excited for you and hope you can sustain the curiosity juuuuust a little longer.

Thank you Eric. These things happen!

In my case, The supplier I'm dealing with has exceptional customer service (Minidisc Australia) and have already dispatched a replacement for me.

Excited to receive it :)

Feb 23, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #1,476 of 6,727
Feb 23, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #1,477 of 6,727
Family photo :)

0A75AF3A-A029-479B-BD22-0323B79CF20A.jpeg

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,478 of 6,727
After Underworld’s Live “Everything Everything” settled down to “Other Aspects” by Eric Dolphy, recordings from 1960-64 and is probably the best I’ve heard it on a set of headphones. The flute and sax are captured in all their vibrancy, a lot of phones trip over this but the S2 not only gives us great extension and air but maintains its composure. And I’m getting a really good insight to the recording and the venue, everything just sounds correct, not sure what can be improved at this point.
@Rob80b sounds good! Could you possibly do some of us here a huge favour and get yourself some returnable NDH 30s and do a comparison? That would be hugely appreciated!

Feb 23, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,480 of 6,727
Currently listening to Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral while working (from home :)) today on these and it sounds wonderful. Given the layering on this album, with the vocals changing their location in the mix, and some of the changes in the sound throughout the album (e.g. Ruiner changing from distorted synths to the clear beat is one of my favourite musical transitions) I find it to be a great one to test HP's out.
I didn't even think of this album but it would be 🤌 perfect for the 660S2's punchy dynamics. Gonna check this out today. An all-time classic.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 23, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #1,481 of 6,727
@Rob80b sounds good! Could you possibly do some of us here a huge favour and get yourself some returnable NDH 30s and do a comparison? That would be hugely appreciated!
I listened to the HD660S2 for an hour or 2 so take it with a significant grain of salt.

Quite a bit darker sounding all around, seems like less capable driver compared to the NDH 30 which is faster, punchier, more resolving, has deeper bass, less distortion. Treble sounds a bit odd to my ears on the HD660S2, voices can sound thick yet can sound every so slightly sibilant on some recordings, same goes with some instruments.

Again it’s just 2 hours and I haven’t heard them side by side, this is just from memory and playing a bit with the bass frequencies and listening to some of my favourite tracks. I might change my mind on certain aspects once I get more head time.

I was scratching my head quite a bit when I first heard it, it has this treble energy in certain regions that make it both engaging and unengaging. Not quite sure what to make of this headphone just yet.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #1,482 of 6,727
I listened to the HD660S2 for an hour or 2 so take it with a significant grain of salt.

Quite a bit darker sounding all around, seems like less capable driver compared to the NDH 30 which is faster, punchier, more resolving, has deeper bass, less distortion. Treble sounds a bit odd to my ears on the HD660S2, voices can sound thick yet can sound every so slightly sibilant on some recordings, same goes with some instruments.

Again it’s just 2 hours and I haven’t heard them side by side, this is just from memory and playing a bit with the bass frequencies and listening to some of my favourite tracks. I might change my mind on certain aspects once I get more head time.

I was scratching my head quite a bit when I first heard it, it has this treble energy in certain regions that make it both engaging and unengaging. Not quite sure what to make of this headphone just yet.
Audio memory is completely, and totally unreliable and has been demonstrated to last seconds, not days, months or years. Side by side comparisons are even difficult as you need to have the volume level matched as even a slight difference matters. How long has it been since you heard the NDH 30?

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,483 of 6,727
Audio memory is completely, and totally unreliable and has been demonstrated to last seconds, not days, months or years. Side by side comparisons are even difficult as you need to have the volume level matched as even a slight difference matters. How long has it been since you heard the NDH 30?
I agree with you about the difficulty of side by side comparisons and volume matching, but I’m afraid I think that the idea that audio memory is unreliable is BS. It’s as reliable as any other sensory memory surely. When you leave your car in a car park and can’t remember where you parked it you can find it because you remember what it looks like. When you pick up your headphones you will know if someone has opened them up and changed the drivers because you remember how they sound.
I’m a musician and I’d be totally screwed if I couldn’t remember how my instrument was supposed to sound from one time to the next……

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #1,484 of 6,727
This was 1 or 2 days before, pretty fresh in my head, it gets more vague once weeks or months go by. But once I get a good grasp on a headphone I usually remember very well what it's characteristics were, same goes with speakers.

But like I said, Mike F wanted a little comparison and I just gave him a little sneak peak from the top op my head. I don't have a good grasp on the 660S2's sound signature just yet, it's certainly a good headphone just quite different than the NDH 30, and performing like the NDH 30 at this pricepoint is quite a tall order.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #1,485 of 6,727
I will be in … 27/FEB! I will use Norne Audio Vygarde cable right away for break-in then listening … :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back