Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 22, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #1,442 of 6,844
I'm not that keen on the S2, as I have the OG marble HD600 and these may be too alike. 600€ for a slight side grade, a bit hard to swallow LoL

But, right now listening to the Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X which fixes a couple of the HD600 shortcomings: much better/larger soundstage and deep impactful bass while still maintaining a vocal centric sound with great timbre. Sort of like a S2 upgrade, but for less than half the price, with larger soundstage and no need for exotic amping.

And, yes, they have the same midrange dip as the 660S2 which may contribute to open/layering without piercing treble. Anyway, very nice sounding too.
The S2 are quite different from the HD600 and DT900 Pro X. The S2 has treble detail that is smooth and realistic.
I loved the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, Beyer T1 2nd gen, DT1350.. but the DT900 Pro X asserts treble in every note possible, I returned them the day I bought them with receipts to prove.

Feb 22, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,443 of 6,844
The S2 are quite different from the HD600 and DT900 Pro X. The S2 has treble detail that is smooth and realistic.
I loved the DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, Beyer T1 2nd gen, DT1350.. but the DT900 Pro X asserts treble in every note possible, I returned them the day I bought them with receipts to prove.

I have no problem with the treble, it's ok not the best ever but ok, but midrange/soundstage/bass is very good which is the main attraction.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,445 of 6,844
Oh the 600 may just be a distant memory but I don't recall them ever sounding quite like the S2, otherwie I would have stopped there. : )

But the HD600 scale, you know :p

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,446 of 6,844
'
As someone who has forgotten what $1000+ headphones sound like, this is what the treble was like for me on the HD660S2. It's absolutely well done.

I don't think I'll ever get over the honeymoon phase with the HD660S2, because the way they're built (lightweight/modular parts found on amazon) means they'll be staying on my head longer and seeing more usage than any headphone out there. My only problem with the HD660S2 has been the upper mids and I've wrote about it in my review, but I've been wearing the HD600's for 6 years now, so it took some time to be acclimated with the HD660S2's more focused midrange approach that I've come to appreciate.

I EQ'd the HD660S last night and this is somewhat true. First thing is modifying the HD660S so that it has the midrange clarity of the HD660S2. The next thing was adding that lower midrange thickness so that lower octave vocals had better separation from higher octave vocals.
The next thing I'm working on is treble, almost there but haven't really gotten the spikes and dips right. My measurement kit sucks so the only reference I had was using the Oratory1990 as a guidance to flatten everything out before working my way up.

The HD660S is pretty close to the HD660S2, but my HD600's can't be tuned to the HD660S2. The driver differences especially when it comes to imaging are too far different. I will also not continue to EQ the HD600, I don't have the motivation to do it as they're fine as is.
Hope you enjoy them throughly for years to come! It's great when you can find "your sound" Based on my hearing, my pocket book, and reviews from people I trust, I'll pass on a side grade offering incremental improvement. Again, Obviously YMMV a great deal from mine. :beerchug:

Leo

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #1,447 of 6,844
But the HD600 scale, you know :p
But it looks like the S2 may scale also but now that you've cancelled you may never know. :p
600€ for a slight side grade, a bit hard to swallow LoL
Seriously though the S2 is looking to be a very different phone and not a side grade IMHO but if it's not what one is looking for, then yes, one is better off holding on to their coveted 600s.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,448 of 6,844
Well the HD660S2 have landed...as many have noted the packaging/presentation is all rather lack lustre.....
IMG_6852.jpg

But the proof will be in the pudding.....but not until later on tonight.
IMG_6853.jpg
I wish you well. Please share your thoughts when you've had a good listen. As if you wouldn't! LOL

Leo

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #1,449 of 6,844
I'm not that keen on the S2, as I have the OG marble HD600 and these may be too alike. 600€ for a slight side grade, a bit hard to swallow LoL

But, right now listening to the Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X which fixes a couple of the HD600 shortcomings: much better/larger soundstage and deep impactful bass while still maintaining a vocal centric sound with great timbre. Sort of like a S2 upgrade, but for less than half the price, with larger soundstage and no need for exotic amping.

And, yes, they have the same midrange dip as the 660S2 which may contribute to open/layering without piercing treble. Anyway, very nice sounding too.
I have the 700 Pro X at home, now I’m curious how they’d compare to the S2. Wish I had a 900 as well to try.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #1,450 of 6,844
From the better bass technicalities and dynamics to the blacker background with less distortion and excellent micro dynamics.
This is probably the best summation I’ve seen based on my early listening. The blacker background is very noticeable.

Joshua Velour’s video is pretty good and is kinda where I’m at. Key observations for me:
  • Packaging is not good for this price point, should have been either a box like the older ones or a hard case like Meze do for the 109 Pro’s and Beyer for their 1770/1990 Pro. The included pouch is worse than the one I got with my Rode NTH-100. It's not a deal breaker but certainly worth all calling out.
  • They’re a really great headphone, I don’t have any regrets purchasing, but for someone who doesn’t feel the need to have so many headphones it’d be hard to justify these when the 600/650/6XX exist at cheaper price points, are also great headphones, and offer a different, but similar, experience. I’d say they are worth the price, but the others are a steal at their price points.
  • The bass is much more textured / detailed, I don't think there is a whole lot more, if any, compared to the 650 (certainly is over 660S), but it's a better quality.
  • They're much better as an all rounder than the rest of the 6 series.
For me, time will tell, but I think they’ll be my favourite 6 series based on ~12 hours of listening but it certainly doesn’t make the others obsolete. I'm really enjoying them out of my TA-ZH1ES and Mojo 2.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,451 of 6,844
I have the 700 Pro X at home, now I’m curious how they’d compare to the S2. Wish I had a 900 as well to try.
I noticed people often seem to like the DT 700 Pro X more than the DT 900 Pro X due to it being warmer and having tamer treble from what I read. Haven’t heard either yet but trying the DT 700 Pro X today and I’ll be able to see what I think of them, if I like them I’ll try to get around listening to a DT 900 Pro X when possible. Curious how they will compare to neutral open backs such as the HD 600 and R70X. I should be auditioning and maybe buying the HD 660 S2 the next month or two hopefully.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #1,452 of 6,844
This is probably the best summation I’ve seen based on my early listening. The blacker background is very noticeable.

Joshua Velour’s video is pretty good and is kinda where I’m at. Key observations for me:
  • Packaging is not good for this price point, should have been either a box like the older ones or a hard case like Meze do for the 109 Pro’s and Beyer for their 1770/1990 Pro. The included pouch is worse than the one I got with my Rode NTH-100. It's not a deal breaker but certainly worth all calling out.
  • They’re a really great headphone, I don’t have any regrets purchasing, but for someone who doesn’t feel the need to have so many headphones it’d be hard to justify these when the 600/650/6XX exist at cheaper price points, are also great headphones, and offer a different, but similar, experience. I’d say they are worth the price, but the others are a steal at their price points.
  • The bass is much more textured / detailed, I don't think there is a whole lot more, if any, compared to the 650 (certainly is over 660S), but it's a better quality.
  • They're much better as an all rounder than the rest of the 6 series.
For me, time will tell, but I think they’ll be my favourite 6 series based on ~12 hours of listening but it certainly doesn’t make the others obsolete. I'm really enjoying them out of my TA-ZH1ES and Mojo 2.

600/650/6xx are all too shouty for me. That upper mids is just too obnoxious. I do like the 660s, and with the 600's and 660s side by side, thought the 660s had slightly better resolution, staging, and microdynamics. 660s seemed to fall behind a bit on treble and bass extension though.

I am, however, a little concerned about comparison of the 660s2 to the Clears. I've owned the OG Clears for a while and just found it a little too punchy at times, which combined with the small stage and harsh/hashy/metallic treble, often led to fatigue on the wrong tracks.

Really hoping the 660s2 is more 660s than anything else. Then again, I don't find myself really wanting more bass out of the 660s after being acclimated to it, though a bit more bite and brilliance in the treble would be appreciated (confession: I like Beyers).

Hoping to try them at Canjam NYC. Just a couple of more days!

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #1,453 of 6,844
I am, however, a little concerned about comparison of the 660s2 to the Clears. I've owned the OG Clears for a while and just found it a little too punchy at times, which combined with the small stage and harsh/hashy/metallic treble, often led to fatigue on the wrong tracks.
I have the OG Clears and think they’re one of the most overrated headphones ever (pretty much for the reasons you explained). I don’t think you’ll have any concerns with the S2 when you get to try them. I’d take the S2 any day of the week over the Clears based on what I’ve heard so far.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,454 of 6,844
Again still early days...I let the S2 break in all afternoon with Nanoplex's "Billion Dollar Brain". lol
https://listen.tidal.com/album/86393526

Settled down to listen to Agnes Obel after closing, vocals are beautifully fleshed out, instrumentation clear and distinct and no cut outs, there is a distinctive dimension to the performance.
https://listen.tidal.com/artist/3694795

And I've been for the last hour or more going through this playlist.
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/8801deff-f577-438b-a11a-873328e43310
I've yet to trip up the S2...again, these are not your 600/650s, no blob in the head, staging is rather linear, good depth and separation, no romanticizing...I sincerely believe with regards to the 600 series that the S2 is the closest we've come to get back what's on the recording.
I'm not a reviewer so don't have a plethora of headphones to judge them by, just 50 years or more of listening experience... but that's not the point. IMHO the S2 stand on their own and musically give us rather well rounded and fulfilling experience, all the required accoutrements are there and so far I honestly feel that nothing is wanting and really have to classify them as a possible new reference.
Again early days but it is looking very promising for this new Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #1,455 of 6,844
I have the OG Clears and think they’re one of the most overrated headphones ever (pretty much for the reasons you explained). I don’t think you’ll have any concerns with the S2 when you get to try them. I’d take the S2 any day of the week over the Clears based on what I’ve heard so far.
I haven’t heard the Clears (either version), but spent time with the Elear and thought it was sorta like an inferior, fatiguing, and more artificial sounding version of my modified DT 480 (this thing is unique sounding). I also really didn’t get any sort of Sennheiser vibes from it either despite many saying it was a super HD 650 when it came out, it was a completely different animal to me. I’ll reserve any judgment about the Clears as I haven’t heard them but it seems to still have the Elear’s problem of a metallic treble timbre. The HD 660 S2 will likely suit my preference much more than the Focal Clear imho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back