Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 9, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #676 of 6,740
............ what it really needs is a wider soundstage.
That's where the HD800 come in. : ) But for their design, being a closer and more intimate presentation they are IMHO more than adequate, but still rather wide considering.
I don't see this knocking the Sundara off its pedestal.
Apples to oranges.
I doubt that's how Sennheiser sees it. The 6 series have always been narrow .........
Agreed as noted above.

Feb 9, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #679 of 6,740
I doubt that's how Sennheiser sees it. The 6 series have always been narrow and while people may complain about it, they (we) keep buying them. It's part of the formula for that product range. Also, widening it will likely cause adverse side-effects like ruining the awesome midrange (the calling card of the 6 series).
Bingo! Yes if they widened the Soundstage then the 600 series headphones would lose that amazing imaging and midrange.Why would anyone want that? IMO I think the Soundstage is natural and transparent.And it also depends on your amplifier and DAC pairings.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #680 of 6,740
Still reigning as the kings of timbre, seems like technicality is the only focus for TOTL headphones now.
My favorite headphone companies all tend to put some premium on timbre. Meze, ZMF, Sennheiser. The same holds true for the electronics makers.

On the soundstage issue, isn't that partially why tube amps are so commonly used with the HD6xx series? It's not going to completely transform the headphones, but it will make them wake up and vibrate with life a little.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #681 of 6,740
Since angled drivers can contribute to soundstage in headphones, if one wants to do that affordably with Sennheiser, a listen to the HD 560S or HD 400 Pro might be beneficial. For me, they do detail and stage, but somewhat lack the true timbre of instruments that the HD6 series nails.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #683 of 6,740
Since angled drivers can contribute to soundstage in headphones, if one wants to do that affordably with Sennheiser, a listen to the HD 560S or HD 400 Pro might be beneficial. For me, they do detail and stage, but somewhat lack the true timbre of instruments that the HD6 series nails.

I've tried both the 560s which I owned months ago, and the 400 Pro (currently own) and for me they are almost like night and day. Practically all i listen to is Beethoven and 560s simply could not handle busy passages with strong dynamic swings. It was also abit too much in the highs. 400 Pro I've found solved the classical challenge and from what I can tell atm (haven't heard the 660S2 yet obv) in terms of tonality alone it is the king of the 6 series and 5 series headphones. 600 and 650 i agree have better timbre capabilities. But 400 pro is clearer and it handles bass very well imo. I know that may be controversial as most have been told 560s and 400 pro are the same headphone, but from my experience they just aren't. Been keeping this to myself for awhile, but it needs to be said. 400 Pro is a pretty awesome, highly capable option at it's price point.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #685 of 6,740
I've tried both the 560s which I owned months ago, and the 400 Pro (currently own) and for me they are almost like night and day. Practically all i listen to is Beethoven and 560s simply could not handle busy passages with strong dynamic swings. It was also abit too much in the highs. 400 Pro I've found solved the classical challenge and from what I can tell atm (haven't heard the 660S2 yet obv) in terms of tonality alone it is the king of the 6 series and 5 series headphones. 600 and 650 i agree have better timbre capabilities. But 400 pro is clearer and it handles bass very well imo. I know that may be controversial as most have been told 560s and 400 pro are the same headphone, but from experience they just aren't. Been keeping this to myself for awhile, but it needs to be said. 400 Pro is a pretty awesome, highly capable option at it's price point.
Of the people impressions who have owned both I've seen so far, most said they sounded different. I had both but far apart but that would explain why I disliked the HD 560 S but actually liked the HD 400 Pro.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #686 of 6,740
Of the people impressions who have owned both I've seen so far, most said they sounded different. I had both but far apart but that would explain why I disliked the HD 560 S but actually liked the HD 400 Pro.

Yea dude - 400 Pro is this little beast headphone off in it's own lane that Senn designed to give sound engineers everything thing they need to mix and monitor accurately - speed, imaging, layering of instruments and tonal accuracy. Because of this, it is fantastic for classical, and just about any other genre you want to throw at it. I could say more but I don't want to get too off topic. I will say this though, it won't surprise me if there's alot of 400 pro DNA in the 660s2. Senn clearly learned alot in designing both the 560s and 400 pro, particularly with regard to getting a deeper and better bass tonality out of their drivers.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #687 of 6,740
Well that‘s interesting, I thought they were the same. I’ll keep my eyes open for a deal on the 400 Pro.

Sorry for derailing, it was just in relation to soundstage comments.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #688 of 6,740
I've tried both the 560s which I owned months ago, and the 400 Pro (currently own) and for me they are almost like night and day. Practically all i listen to is Beethoven and 560s simply could not handle busy passages with strong dynamic swings. It was also abit too much in the highs. 400 Pro I've found solved the classical challenge and from what I can tell atm (haven't heard the 660S2 yet obv) in terms of tonality alone it is the king of the 6 series and 5 series headphones. 600 and 650 i agree have better timbre capabilities. But 400 pro is clearer and it handles bass very well imo. I know that may be controversial as most have been told 560s and 400 pro are the same headphone, but from my experience they just aren't. Been keeping this to myself for awhile, but it needs to be said. 400 Pro is a pretty awesome, highly capable option at it's price point.

I wonder if you guys are just hearing variations between units. I mean, Sennheiser themselves have even confirmed that they are the exact same headphone. I don't see why they would say that if it wasn't true.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #689 of 6,740
I wonder if you guys are just hearing variations between units. I mean, Sennheiser themselves have even confirmed that they are the exact same headphone. I don't see why they would say that if it wasn't true.

There's no way they would be that close in design, with exact same specifications, and not be the same headphone simply re-branded. It just wouldn't make sense. It's far more likely unit variation or user psychology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back