Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Dec 14, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #5,731 of 6,844
I am unfortunately finding the same thing. There's just something iterating /fatiguing which my 600's did not have. Plus the head clamp on these is too much - I'm about a month in and still get a sore jaw - I flex them every time prior to wearing.
Honestly it was my first pair that caused me fatigue, not sure why it did that, it was also lacking in the upper mids compared to the second pair. Don't have the problem on my current S2, especially on my current system, I have zero listening fatigue from them now.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #5,732 of 6,844
Honestly it was my first pair that caused me fatigue, not sure why it did that, it was also lacking in the upper mids compared to the second pair. Don't have the problem on my current S2, especially on my current system, I have zero listening fatigue from them now.
I liken it to someone talking a bit too close to your ear - it's not harsh, but appears intense/loud. I can have the 600s on all day and never notice anything like that (they are very easy listen). I'll persevere. Did you return the first pair..?

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #5,733 of 6,844
I liken it to someone talking a bit too close to your ear - it's not harsh, but appears intense/loud. I can have the 600s on all day and never notice anything like that (they are very easy listen). I'll persevere. Did you return the first pair..?
That may be a bit different that I had, the first pair had an uncomfortable pressure in the bass region that really got to me. I did end up returning it as it was causing major fatigue issues. I got a different system and I decided to give the S2 another shot and was glad I did. I can listen to it loud no issues. It causes less fatigue than the HD 650 and HD 660S to my ears. It's not quite Beyer T1 Gen 3 easy on my ears but I can listen to the S2 all day with no fatigue.

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #5,734 of 6,844

I also noticed with my HD660s2, that the Amp I used mattered.
I had more issues with sharp treble when using the Schiit Magni/Modi Stack, that really bothered me after listening for a long time. When switching to the JDS Element lll, you could hear it really smooths out the high end in my opinion, allowing me to listen for hours with no fatigue.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #5,735 of 6,844
I had more issues with sharp treble when using the Schiit Magni/Modi Stack, that really bothered me after listening for a long time. When switching to the JDS Element lll, you could hear it really smooths out the high end in my opinion, allowing me to listen for hours with no fatigue.
I used them on a Magni+/Modi+ stack at first too and it did cause me a lot of problems with the S2. Now I use a Lake People G111 MKII with the Modi Multibit 2 as my dac and it causes zero fatigue and treble and bass has no issues.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #5,736 of 6,844
I have a xDuoo TA-22 - which is excellent with my HD600s - so kind of assume it shouldn't be an issue with the S2's

Dec 16, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #5,740 of 6,844
I've seen those lines too many times only to see selling regrets in it's future and ends in re-purchase and sometimes questioning the sound quality of the new one vs the old that was sold. I say keep your 600 if possible.
To be honest, I bought HD600 after HD660S2, just because I wanted to hear that neutral reference sound that everybody talks about.
I've found that I prefer the S2 in almost every category (sound signature, imaging, slightly larger stage, presentation).
Overall, I can say that HD600 focuses its presentation more on vocals, while S2 brings up more the instruments. Vocals are a little bit less forward in the S2 (with EQ you can reach similar forwardness though), but it also gives them more body and weight.

Dec 16, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #5,741 of 6,844
For those that do EQ, what are your EQ settings? I actually use the ZMF Perforated sheepskin pads, Then through the Roon Parametric EQ I have I set only in two areas:

Frequency 80hz, Gain 3db, and Q1.41 peak/dip
Frequency 4620hz, Gain2db, and Q5.0 peak/dip (sometimes)

I find the adjusting EQ at 3db at 80hz gives me a more dynamic thump to my music, and also raising it 2db at 4620 seems to give to music a little more life to my ears.
This is the way I curranty have it set up for my personal enjoyment.
Interested in seeing how some of you have your settings.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #5,742 of 6,844
For those that do EQ, what are your EQ settings?
This is what I use (EQ APO):

Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.2
Filter: ON LSC Fc 70 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.7
Filter: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 4600 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 4
Filter: ON PK Fc 5350 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 5

Very small adjustments that bring the 3-4kHz range forward a tad and also bump up the sub bass a bit.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #5,743 of 6,844
i am curious how well the s2 would hold up against higher end dynamics or even planers? heard some just stay with the s2 since they are so easy going and comfortable

the s2 is my first high end sennheiser and i love them after i manged to loose the headband. i just love how well balanced the midrange is
I love the s2. It's a daily driver for me. But the hd800s with a good tube amp is jaw dropping especially with well recorded music.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #5,744 of 6,844
I am unfortunately finding the same thing. There's just something iterating /fatiguing which my 600's did not have. Plus the head clamp on these is too much - I'm about a month in and still get a sore jaw - I flex them every time prior to wearing.
I've probably repeated this 100 times. But let me say it again. The s2 and any 6x0 can be stretched to fit ANY size head...even Frankenstein heads. Simply extend the cups fully and gently bend the metal section of the headband with your hands. Go to the opposite side and do the same. Then try it on. Eventually you will get the clamp exactly to your liking. It's irritating to see people suggesting putting the headphones between a set of books or whatever. All that does is compress the pads. And while that does reduce clamp, you are doing the life of the pads no favors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back