Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #5,642 of 6,555
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #5,644 of 6,555
I own both the 660S2 and 58X. They don't sound the same, at all.

660S2 outperforms the 58X in just about every way, and it should, for the price difference.

I don't even use the 58X anymore since getting the 660S2.

Goes to show once again, graphs should not be taken so seriously.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #5,646 of 6,555
Goes to show once again, graphs should not be taken so seriously.

1700625441753.jpeg

I cannot help but remember watching Andrew "mofo" Jones (as Z refers to him as) when he described the difficulty of making a cheap speaker sound good. In other words, trying to get it to reach the same specific sound profile/target as the TOTL.

He said something along the lines of the company not making the cheaper speaker sound worse for the sake of the better speaker sounding better; rather, the components being not as premium hinder and make it harder to reach the refinement levels. Whether it was the material of the box, speaker cone, magnet structure etc.

The 58x and 660S2 if they look so similar in the targeted sound profile is probably b/c that is the target.

But as the engineers have said, it has lighter voice coil, better excursion, magnet strength and airflow properties. So, it would surprise me to see the 58x "outperform" the 660S2, though not so much if one preferred the 58x with one chain vs 660S2 with the same chain for whatever reasons.

Nov 22, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #5,647 of 6,555
I own both the 660S2 and 58X. They don't sound the same, at all.
The HD58X was more in line with the HD660S sound wise...
The 58x and 660S2 if they look so similar in the targeted sound profile is probably b/c that is the target.
.....but side by side comparisons on good equipment revealed the short comings of the 58X, still at the current price a nice entry point into the Senn family.
now while this newer Massdrop collaboration is a fine sounding headphone I do not get the same sensation in terms of its overall aural quality…I could easily live with the HD660S if I had to forfeit my HD800S but the HD58Xs does not quite reach those levels…it's not as accomplished in producing realistic harmonics nor do I find it as dynamic...while not quite as chilled as the 600/650s it's still more polite and forgiving than the 660S more engaging presentation.

Nov 22, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #5,648 of 6,555
I have such a sympathy and love for the 58X...

Is like the neglected child that gets no praise and love from its own creators...

I have all (almost) the 6 series and if my 58x goes bust I need to immediately replace it because no matter how much superior the other 6 series headphones are it has its own unique flavour...

If they did not change anything from the first batch from 2018 130$ is a godsend for a student with tight budget for example lets say...

considering the construction and the detachable cable is better value than the koss 30 at 30$ because in comparison is so robust as well...

There was a guy in hifi magazine that coined the expression : "the only negative is that of ommision..." unless you hear something considerably better and more expensive you can enjoy endlessly without worries...

Nov 24, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #5,651 of 6,555
HD6xx for $179 and 58x for $129 are both "throw money at monitor screen" prices. Great deals.

Call me crazy but the 660s2 has crazy synergy with the Schiit Hel dac/amp. It has a bit extra warmth vs every other solid state I've tried including a magni/modi stack, but it just really does something nice to the S2.

I think the Hel is one of the most underrated things out there right now, I could sing its virtues but I digress. Just a crazy powerful all-in-one box with a huge kick-ass volume knob on top, mic input if you need that, analog and optical in, it can serve as a dac only if you use line out to another amp, speakers, etc. It just kicks but and has oodles of power, I can't even get past like 11 o-clock on low gain with a HD650/600/660s2.

We need way more amps with huge top volume knobs. Front knobs, especially small ones, are for the birds.

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #5,652 of 6,555
HD6xx for $179 and 58x for $129 are both "throw money at monitor screen" prices. Great deals.

Call me crazy but the 660s2 has crazy synergy with the Schiit Hel dac/amp. It has a bit extra warmth vs every other solid state I've tried including a magni/modi stack, but it just really does something nice to the S2.

I think the Hel is one of the most underrated things out there right now, I could sing its virtues but I digress. Just a crazy powerful all-in-one box with a huge kick-ass volume knob on top, mic input if you need that, analog and optical in, it can serve as a dac only if you use line out to another amp, speakers, etc. It just kicks but and has oodles of power, I can't even get past like 11 o-clock on low gain with a HD650/600/660s2.

** We need way more amps with huge top volume knobs. Front knobs, especially small ones, are for the birds.**
** 👍 Colossal volume knobs with the flywheel feel of the classic Marantz FM tuning knobs !

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #5,653 of 6,555
If anyone is looking for some incredibly well recorded Christmas music that really shows what the s2 can do....check out Nils Landgren: Christmas with my Friends. I think that there about six of these in the collection. They all sounds amazing on the s2. Jazz flavor to traditional holiday music.

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #5,654 of 6,555
For anyone wondering or wants to know, Cayin's RU6 and RU7 dongle DAC/amps pairs very well with 660S2. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back