Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #526 of 6,514
I’ve owned the HD 650 3 times as well and the HD 6XX. Always found them on the boring side and not in a good way. I’ve owned the HD 600 once and the HD 660 S twice. .....
Lol we're on the same run way, also had the HD580/600 and I'm on my 3rd HD660S....It is not that the HD650 are actually boring, they're made IMHO more for Muzak like listening sessions, relaxed easy and extended. When I take time to listen to music I put most things aside and need to be fully engaged and usually for no more than an album or 2, with the HD650 I can't count the times I've almost dosed off. But I believe the majority of listeners, my friends and family included prefer what the HD600/HD650 have to offer, same for stereo systems, and that's ok.
Now having said that I still like to have a relaxed phone around as not all music is recorded equally and phones like HD800S and AKG K872s just do not work as they can be too engaging and not that great physically to fall asleep with... the HD660S are IMHO a nice compromise : )

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #527 of 6,514
Lol we're on the same run way, also had the HD580/600 and I'm on my 3rd HD660S....It is not that the HD650 are actually boring, they're made IMHO more for Muzak like listening sessions, relaxed easy and extended. When I take time to listen to music I put most things aside and need to be fully engaged and usually for no more than an album or 2, with the HD650 I can't count the times I've almost dosed off. But I believe the majority of listeners, my friends and family included prefer what the HD600/HD650 have to offer, same for stereo systems, and that's ok.
Yeah I think it's because I generally like snappier transients than what the HD 650 has to offer. I understand why people love the HD 650 and it does sound excellent with some music, but it's not ideal for my preferences. The HD 600 suited me better, yes it's quite relaxed and can sometimes help me to doze off, but I do want one headphone like that at least. I just liked the HD 600's approach to the more relaxed sound more than the HD 650's and I didn't grow tired of the HD 600's sound like the HD 650's. Though I found a nice tube amp did help the engagement factor on the HD 600 and the HD 650.

As for the HD 660S, I just found it had snappier transients than the other two HD 6xx series which helped make them more engaging to me. I'm expecting a somewhat similar experience with HD 660S2 in terms of transient behavior and since the HD 660S2 uses a different driver system I don't think I'll get that fatigue I got with the HD 660S as I didn't get it with the HD 600 or HD 650 either.

Honestly among my friends and family most preferred the HD 660 S to the HD 600 and HD 650. Honestly quite interesting how much preference plays into things. Interesting how seemingly minor changes can make or break a headphone for someone.

Feb 6, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #528 of 6,514
Not quite but should be interesting!

Funny how we all have different perspectives...over the years I had 3 pairs of HD650s and the 6XX all of which I found too boring and not engaging at all for my preferences and music. The HD660S on the other hand were like a breath of fresh air. lol
It is interesting.
I actually agree that HD650 could be boring… but on lower ss amps. It was until I purchased Mainline, it was the first time when I liked HD650. After I received Folkwangr I was in havens with HD650 😇 Now I’m listening HD650 on CMA15 - 😇

HD660S never responded to any tubes, they sounded the same on everything.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #529 of 6,514
HD650 was definitely not meant to be exciting or made for analysing, nothing grabs your attention because its coherent and smooth sound lets you just sit back and enjoy music as it is. You're better off with a different headphone if you prefer to spend more time listening with a microscope like ear.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #530 of 6,514
HD650 was definitely not meant to be exciting or made for analysing, nothing grabs your attention because its coherent and smooth sound lets you just sit back and enjoy music as it is. You're better off with a different headphone if you prefer to spend more time listening with a microscope like ear.
But I realized I like a tad more spice to the sound than the HD 650 offers, but not overly much as I'm still very much someone who prefers more relaxed and warmer sounding headphones. Headphones that are microscopes into the sound are just occasional listens for me and can never be one of my main headphones. Rather I prefer headphones with great technical ability but don't shove the detail in you face but it's there if you listen. I don't want my headphones much more energetic than the HD 660 S or the T1 Gen 3 (this headphone is warmer sounding than the HD 650) as my main headphones, both of which are more on the relaxed side.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #531 of 6,514
But I realized I like a tad more spice to the sound than the HD 650 offers, but not overly much as I'm still very much someone who prefers more relaxed and warmer sounding headphones. Headphones that are microscopes into the sound are just occasional listens for me and can never be one of my main headphones. Rather I prefer headphones with great technical ability but don't shove the detail in you face but it's there if you listen. I don't want my headphones much more energetic than the HD 660 S or the T1 Gen 3 (this headphone is warmer sounding than the HD 650) as my main headphones, both of which are more on the relaxed side.

Sounds like you would really like ZMFs have you tried them?

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #533 of 6,514

It definitely isn't analytical, I agree. I bought it last year and it's an incredibly smooth headphone, the midrange *does* grab your attention and I also find it plenty detailed in the upper frequencies, way more than I expected to be honest. It doesn't distract you though, but the detail is there. Of course, everyone's ears and preferences are different.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #534 of 6,514
It definitely isn't analytical, I agree. I bought it last year and it's an incredibly smooth headphone, the midrange *does* grab your attention and I also find it plenty detailed in the upper frequencies, way more than I expected to be honest. It doesn't distract you though, but the detail is there. Of course, everyone's ears and preferences are different.

Maybe I worded it incorrectly and should have used nothing stands out in a distracting way instead.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #535 of 6,514
Maybe I worded it incorrectly and should have used nothing stands out in a distracting way instead.
…one can say the same about live music…(unless the acoustics are bad)…

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #536 of 6,514
Sounds like you would really like ZMFs have you tried them?
Haven't tried any of the ZMF's yet, I've actually been wanting to for a long time. They're a bit out of my current price range though, but they're on my wishlist to audition. I'm actually very happy with my T1.3. Honestly the reason I'm so interested in the HD 660S2 is because I feel like it will be the perfect compliment to my T1.3 as another main headphone and also it's price is more in line with what I'm willing to spend. I generally only listen to two or three headphones mainly.

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #537 of 6,514
...over the years I had 3 pairs of HD650s and the 6XX all of which I found too boring and not engaging at all for my preferences and music. The HD660S on the other hand were like a breath of fresh air. lol
I’ve owned the HD 650 3 times as well and the HD 6XX. Always found them on the boring side and not in a good way. I’ve owned the HD 600 once and the HD 660 S twice. The HD 600 is also kinda boring but it was in a good way unlike the HD 650 imho. I regret letting go of the HD 600 to this day. The HD 660 S was engaging but I got a strange fatigue on them I can’t pinpoint the cause so doesn’t work out for me despite loving their sound. It’s why I’m eyeing the HD 660S2 or the HD 600, possibly both.
What was the reason of buying three times the same headphone? Was it because of wear after too much use or because of cycles of buy/regret?

Feb 7, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #538 of 6,514
What was the reason of buying three times the same headphone? Was it because of wear after too much use or because of cycles of buy/regret?
Buy/regret in my case. I was also unsure of what I wanted until the past couple years and in many ways the HD 650 was close to what I wanted but ended up not quite being it.

Feb 7, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #539 of 6,514
Someone else mentioned it's been 14 years since the 800 came out. They were right saying some of that should filter down by now

A lot of the HD800 (HD800S) sound are achieved through the ring driver and enclosure design. It is not as simple as "put that into the HD6__ series". If the question is one of finances, the HD800 (HD800S) can be found for a second hand or dealer discount easily. It is perhaps better to view the HD660S v1 and v2 as reiterating upon the existing HD580/HD600/HD650. Rather than the other way of how do we trickle the HD800 down to a lower product price point

Feb 7, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #540 of 6,514
For me, the 1st one was ordered on the pre launch in 2017 and after waiting almost 4 months for delivery I was more into my HD800S so they didn't get much head-time, remember head phones are not my primary listening device. The next pair was after I set up a 2nd listening station but had picked up my 2nd pair of HD700, AKG K7XX and then the HD58X, some IEM IE800 but sort of missed the 660S ....... Then those were sold as I needed some closed back over the pandemic, picked up the AKG K872 (alternative to the HD800S) and then some Focal Elegia...fast forward..the Focal went and in came the 3rd HD660S. : )
So cycles but no regrets. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back