Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 5, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #496 of 6,653
Eh reusing the chassis and sticking to old designs makes sense, if they work. The state of the art in audio moves very slowly - if at all - at least in terms of headphone and speaker design. Check the original HE90, SR-Omega, even the SR-Lambda from 1979. They're still competitive today, and some of these are arguably still the very best headphones ever made. So if Sennheiser sticks to a design that works - there's nothing wrong with that. It works. Change it when it becomes obsolete, not before.

These headphones seem interesting - the 300 ohm voice coil is probably a step in the right direction. The measurements look solid, save for that dip around 4k. I wonder if it hides a resonance. Stuff like this is usually audible, but doesn't have to be dealbreaking - and that's assuming it's not a measurement artifact.

I'll probably pick this up at some point and see what's what. I've been using the HD600 and HD650 since around 2004, the HD650 is pretty much my daily driver headphone and has been for damn near 2 decades now and is perfect for the role. So an updated HD650 with the same tuning through the mids and highs but better bass and technicalities would the perfect upgrade - but even if the 660S2 is not an upgrade but more of a sidegrade with better bass, there will be a use case for that too. And if it's not, I'll be happy to use the HD650 for another 2 decades or more, as long as they keep making it. It's as close to a perfect headphone as I've come across.

Introductory price is a bit on the high side but bear in mind the HD650 was $550 on release too. Factoring inflation the price is about the same.

Fingers still crossed for an updated HE60 that's affordable for mere mortals, and I hope I don't have to wait another 20 years. HD600/650 tuning and form factor, electrostatic drivers, 580 volt bias and compatible with Stax. Make it happen boys, and keep the price sane.
I always think in the case of any of the 600 series it is a special case of the customers ripping off the company. (Suckers :p) I still can't believe they developed such a sound and sell it for so cheap, I am sure if it was another boutique headphone company they would have easily sold them for a few X000$. easy! but hey good for us.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #497 of 6,653
Will Sennheiser create a totally exciting new headphone design ever again? it seems for the last decade they are only a tuning company. I still love their stuff though.
I'm fine with the 600 series design if they only could make it a bit less clamping, I know it can be fixed bending the metal bands, but you shouldn't have to be forced to do it.

Feb 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #498 of 6,653
I'm fine with the 600 series design if they only could make it a bit less clamping, I know it can be fixed bending the metal bands, but you shouldn't have to be forced to do it.

You can't please everybody with the out of the box product.
I don't have any clamping issues, so for me the current fit is perfect.

Feb 5, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #500 of 6,653
Feb 5, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #501 of 6,653
Eh reusing the chassis and sticking to old designs makes sense, if they work. The state of the art in audio moves very slowly - if at all - at least in terms of headphone and speaker design. Check the original HE90, SR-Omega, even the SR-Lambda from 1979. They're still competitive today, and some of these are arguably still the very best headphones ever made. So if Sennheiser sticks to a design that works - there's nothing wrong with that. It works. Change it when it becomes obsolete, not before.

These headphones seem interesting - the 300 ohm voice coil is probably a step in the right direction. The measurements look solid, save for that dip around 4k. I wonder if it hides a resonance. Stuff like this is usually audible, but doesn't have to be dealbreaking - and that's assuming it's not a measurement artifact.

I'll probably pick this up at some point and see what's what. I've been using the HD600 and HD650 since around 2004, the HD650 is pretty much my daily driver headphone and has been for damn near 2 decades now and is perfect for the role. So an updated HD650 with the same tuning through the mids and highs but better bass and technicalities would the perfect upgrade - but even if the 660S2 is not an upgrade but more of a sidegrade with better bass, there will be a use case for that too. And if it's not, I'll be happy to use the HD650 for another 2 decades or more, as long as they keep making it. It's as close to a perfect headphone as I've come across.

Introductory price is a bit on the high side but bear in mind the HD650 was $550 on release too. Factoring inflation the price is about the same.

Fingers still crossed for an updated HE60 that's affordable for mere mortals, and I hope I don't have to wait another 20 years. HD600/650 tuning and form factor, electrostatic drivers, 580 volt bias and compatible with Stax. Make it happen boys, and keep the price sane.

Its funny because usually anyone that buys "upgrades" after owning 600/650 eventually goes back to that headphone and then ends up spending 10X or more the cost of the headphone on amplifiers and or source instead.

There must be some lunatic out there with a HD600, Ampsandsound Red October and a Rockna Wavedream 😁

Feb 5, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #502 of 6,653
It goes away by wearing in. You must not have had them very long.

Feb 5, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #505 of 6,653
Its funny because usually anyone that buys "upgrades" after owning 600/650 eventually goes back to that headphone and then ends up spending 10X or more the cost of the headphone on amplifiers and or source instead.

There must be some lunatic out there with a HD600, Ampsandsound Red October and a Rockna Wavedream 😁
…or a lunatic with two HD600, two HD6XX, all CC + self-modded, five tube h/p/a (HYB, OTC, OTL), and a Mojo Audio Mystique…😳😐

Feb 6, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #508 of 6,653
As I say, I fixed it by bending the metal bands when they was new.

The ability to bend the metal bands / sliders makes "the clamp" a non issue on the HD6.... series :thumbsup:

I do however also own the "all plastic" HD560s and while I like the sound signature, I am not happy about not being able to "adjust" the clamp :thumbsdown:

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #509 of 6,653
I bent my HD660S to a breaking point, it didn't brake... :)

On the 560S there's a catch, on mine I removed two screws on each side of the headband, now every time I put them on, it creates a little gap with less resistance...

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #510 of 6,653
My office HD560s prepped for the weekend :D

sen.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back