Let's "create" our dream Sennheiser!
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

headstef

500+ Head-Fier
Every time a new Sennheiser appears in the more expensive over-ear segment, endless discussions start about likes and dislikes, comparisons with previous models are made and many conflicting opinions are expressed, along with common or contradicting impressions of the first listenings.
Preferences vary and it seems that headphones don't behave the same way on every pair of ears. However we are all in quest for our own personal "perfect" headphone - perfect for our own ears and favorite music genres. Of course we may use more headphones depending on activity or other needs but there is usually one place for a "reference" sound headphone or "reference enjoyment"!
What kind of sound or headphone would you "order" to Sennheiser (or any maker) if you could? Let's speak our mind, regardless of known marketing rules and restrictions!

I'll make a start: Many years ago a bought my first serious headphone as soon as it appeared: A fine HD-580 Precision which gave me great enjoyment for many years. When HD-600 was launched I found that it was not a very big improvement because I wanted more bass extension and smoother highs. Which I felt were offered later with the HD-650 - it was love at first listening! A love that lasts 20 years! I have two pairs! During this time I got much better electronics and learned to recognize headphone limitations. HD-800/800S was not for me, also. Too bass-shy (I hate excessive bass too) and highs that could get piercing. The HD-650 remained my favorite. I listened to other makers' significant models but nothing replaced my HD-650 (until very recently).

At this moment I know that my dream Sennheiser would have:

- the general shape of the 6## series. I like oval pads better than round ones. Preferably I bit less oval would be ideal (an idea for a new headphone). I don't like the aesthetics of the HD-800S, mostly because of the "ugly" one-sided swiveling arm. A weight under 400gr is very important.
- the general tuning of the HD-650. Not more bright, not less bright. But of course with more deep bass and with slightly less mid-bass than the HD-650. (Let's see if the HD-660S2 will have this kind of bass balance). A little subdued high mids might be an improvement too.
- more resolution and detail than HD-650, as the HD-800S offers but without the artificial boost of detail via excessive (and potentially fatiguing) treble. A detailed and controlled character for the bass region too.
- ...All these for less (or around) €1000! We already know that it can be done. Silly money can be payed by those who want luxury finish or exotic design/materials. We love headphones but we love people and music more!

I hope that this dreamy thread could became a place of inspiration for makers and listeners!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #2 of 14
Easy: HE-1 sound at 800S price and make that dynamic/planar

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 14
The A800 has a 90% Harman Curve Target, with a bass response at 40hz frequency. The A800 is a HD600 on steroids. The HD600 are known for its timbre, accuracy, naturalness, curve rating and excellent voice reproduction. The Onkyo A800 has all that and more with better bass, subbass, texture, airiness and body.
Let me run that back. For my dream Sennheiser headphones, it would be a similar version of an Onkyo A800. If the Onkyo A800 could be considered an HD600 on steroids (which I think is an overstatement, but I like that comparison lol), I basically just want a black paper HD600 with better bass, sub-bass, soundstage, body and weight in its sound. So, to me, basically an Onkyo A800. A headphone that can play in any source well, but paired with a good chain will have a higher ceiling to soar. Also, if it could be comfy like the Mezes products or ZMF, that's a plus too.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 14
A fusion of JAR800 qualities with HE-6 bass.

Or just give us the 2009 Sennheiser with urges to evolve beyond the HD800 instead of the coward version that only knows mid-fi iterations but double the price.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 14
Feb 6, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 14
What kind of sound or headphone would you "order" to Sennheiser (or any maker) if you could? Let's speak our mind, regardless of known marketing rules and restrictions!
Grado Sound. Ooops, it's already done! :gs1000smile:
About Dreambuild; Cable, Cable Cable...Grados has always had terrific cables but this new one goes even beyond that.
So, my dream headphone would be Grados with detachable cable. Which is not like a garden hose. And little more comfy pads.
General looks is awesome just the way it is now.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 14
Grado Sound. Ooops, it's already done! :gs1000smile:
About Dreambuild; Cable, Cable Cable...Grados has always had terrific cables but this new one goes even beyond that.
So, my dream headphone would be Grados with detachable cable. Which is not like a garden hose. And little more comfy pads.
General looks is awesome just the way it is now.
Which Grado? Not all are equal, as not all Sennheisers are.

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Which Grado? Not all are equal, as not all Sennheisers are.
With the improvements i mentioned for me my current Hemps and RS2x are enough. But that hose...Cable!

giphy.gif

EDIT: the bass extension could go deeper though if we are talking perfection. I solved that with my RME.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #13 of 14
A super HD650 with graphene drivers and a super optimized carbon chassis. And yes I have no idea if that would even work.

Feb 6, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Why? There HiveX that is has almost same frequency response of the HE-1. A bit less sub bass but that is easy to EQ. It's only 650usd.
There is more to sound than FR. You may not understand until you have heard better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back