Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Sep 28, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #5,101 of 6,581
Have you tried a dehumidifier? My wife and I can't live without one :) We have a lot of moister in the Summer, and the dehumidifier is just great.
We don't sweat at all in our apartment at 35 degrees. It can collect 3-4 litres of water from the air every day.
Winter is different; with lower temperatures, there is not much moisture.
Ahh the northern hemisphere!... 🥶🥵

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,102 of 6,581
You mentioned breaking the bank, so I thought you perhaps sold these. I am reading the thread at the moment (Z1R). There is a lot to read; I am on the 150th page. :)

I like S2 a lot. I don't compare my headphones. Either I like them or not...and the degree of excitement is always a bit different with certain headphones...but it's always there.

But I am not an audiophile; it's just that...I am passionate about the music I prefer. I don't need to cut the sound into pieces...the impression of the sound matters to me. With certain music, I can change headphones or the amplification...and voila...I am smiling all the time :)

So, S2 is a complete winner to me.
This is well said and a mindset that I try to follow also with this hobby and other hobbies. When I'm on the mountain bike, I judge a good ride by one simple thing...how much fun did I have. Not how many miles did I ride...was the my fastest time etc. With headphones and gear, I ask myself "am truly enjoying the music/this album?" Am I moved by the music in a significant way. That's it really, at least for me.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #5,103 of 6,581
This is well said and a mindset that I try to follow also with this hobby and other hobbies. When I'm on the mountain bike, I judge a good ride by one simple thing...how much fun did I have. Not how many miles did I ride...was the my fastest time etc. With headphones and gear, I ask myself "am truly enjoying the music/this album?" Am I moved by the music in a significant way. That's it really, at least for me.
That is my test too. If a headphone comes into my rotation, do I enjoy listening to it every day for a week? Or am I looking to swap it out after a day or two? I can write that off to a bad day. But if I am looking to cut my listening time down regularly or am not excited to put them on in the first place, they must go.

I will force myself a few times to give them a fair shot. But as that anti-clutter lady said, "If they are not bringing you pleasure, they must go". :smile:

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #5,104 of 6,581
I will force myself a few times to give them a fair shot. But as that anti-clutter lady said, "If they are not bringing you pleasure, they must go". :smile:
That is my current situation with the Neumann NDH30, I keep trying but I’m just not getting into the music with them. Now having said that without completely dismissing them, which I almost have, as a monitor they are very good, they passed “The Ultimate Headphone Test” with flying colors and I’m now finding they are brilliant for watching films.
But with their technical correctness, unlike the HD660S2 which are also very good and get me into music with each listen, regardless of genre the Neumann sadly continue to keep me at arms length, maybe it’ll come around…😎

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #5,105 of 6,581
That is my current situation with the Neumann NDH30, I keep trying but I’m just not getting into the music with them. Now having said that without completely dismissing them, which I almost have, as a monitor they are very good, they passed “The Ultimate Headphone Test” with flying colors and I’m now finding they are brilliant for watching films.
But with their technical correctness, unlike the HD660S2 which are also very good and get me into music with each listen, regardless of genre the Neumann sadly continue to keep me at arms length, maybe it’ll come around…😎
I spent more time with the NDH-30, while I enjoyed them and have no real complaints but don’t find them giant killers as their touted to be, my T1.3 is superior technically imho. They’re not quite what I want and I find comfort won’t be as good as the HD 6xx series or the T1 for me. They don’t seduce me with their sound like the T1.3 or the S2. I’m going to revisit the S2 within a week or two. I can tell I fall more in the camp that likes the S2 more of the two.

Sep 28, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #5,106 of 6,581
I spent more time with the NDH-30, while I enjoyed them and have no real complaints but don’t find them giant killers as their touted to be, my T1.3 is superior technically imho. They’re not quite what I want and I find comfort won’t be as good as the HD 6xx series or the T1 for me. They don’t seduce me with their sound like the T1.3 or the S2. I’m going to revisit the S2 within a week or two. I can tell I fall more in the camp that likes the S2 more of the two.
Curious whether you find the T1.3 presenting as bassier than the S2....I presume that to be the case. If the T1.3 had more sub-60 Hz stuff going on, based on what a couple friends have told me about their sound overall, I think I'd get along with them quite well. I recently missed a chance to try the S2, but might get another shot in a couple weeks.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #5,107 of 6,581
Thanks.

An by any chance do you know why I have random poping noise on play/ pause with the iFi zen Dac v2?
How have you connected it to your device? I had a popping/buzzing problem with it connected to my PC, but I fixed it by connecting it directly to the USB in my PC, rather than the (high quality) multi USB adapter it was plugged into.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #5,108 of 6,581
Have you tried a dehumidifier? My wife and I can't live without one :) We have a lot of moister in the Summer, and the dehumidifier is just great.
We don't sweat at all in our apartment at 35 degrees. It can collect 3-4 litres of water from the air every day.
Winter is different; with lower temperatures, there is not much moisture.
Perhaps it could be the way in your listening area, and you wouldn't have problems with pads and sweating.

Cheers!

I actually need a dehumidifier for something else. I sell vintage & contemporary Japanese & Thai cinema posters, I have 6000 in flat files with silica gel in custom acid free bags, but I'd rather be safer. This would need to be on all the time & I am hoping for low power consumption as my building rate for electricity is pretty high. Any ideas appreciated!

I have AC on full blast & they still get bloody hot!!! I ordered three sets of pads which are supposed to be cooling. I used Wicked Cushions for my Audeze Maxwell (I hate these headphones - only use occasionally for PS5 as best of a bad bunch) to stop my ears steaming like dumplings & that helped massively . Bizarrely they don't seem to make them for 600 series?? I got three random ones with good reviews from Ali for about 50 USD all in. Hoping at least one works well.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #5,109 of 6,581
Sure they do not match the bass of my very large subwoofer in my living room cinema system. But they improve enough to be excellent at all my music preferences. Plus they are light, comfortable and do not break the bank.

The bass is even less than a fairly neutral IEM with a bit of a slight bass elevation such as the AFUL Performer 5. I don't hate them, but the bass was disappointing. I find them more neutral than anything. My source is fine - ifi Stack w/ Zen Dac 2 & Zen Can. I think Sennheiser should have done something physical to stop the low end escaping so easily. They are not just open back, they're open sides as well!!! I almost sold them but **** it, they're fine as back up in case my 800 go wonky.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #5,110 of 6,581
There is a guy on the iFi forum. I wonder why he already didn't show up; he usually does when someone mentions iFi...perhaps you should call him by writing three times iFi iFi iFi...or you should write iFi IS THE BEST!!!!!

Let's see if he will show up now :)

Good products when they work. crap customer service. I waited months for a cable they promised to send as the main one my Hip Dac 2 came with & had to remind them, they then said they can't. Bought a Zen Blue V2 and it's broken. Bad static left side headphones - tried many devices & sources - it's 100% the ZDBV2. Never again sadly.

Sep 29, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #5,111 of 6,581
This link...brought me to this store and a man who stands behind:
Kopfhoererboutique

I can honestly recommend it! I checked it out, out of curiosity, what is that store about, and saw a pair of headphones I couldn't resist their design. So I bought them. :)

And doing business with the owner went so smoothly. He sent the headphones the same day, and he sent them with DHL Express! No one sent, at least that I know, with Express. Even when you pay over 1k, or the shipping is free, it's always standard shipping. Some will even charge you shipping if you buy for 2-3k. This man sends parcels for 200 euros with DHL Express. I got them the next day!!

I will stay faithful to the store when they have what I am looking for.

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #5,112 of 6,581
How have you connected it to your device? I had a popping/buzzing problem with it connected to my PC, but I fixed it by connecting it directly to the USB in my PC, rather than the (high quality) multi USB adapter it was plugged into.
Directly plugged to my pc. It does that only on my computer, both Linux and windows. But not on my friends pc

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #5,114 of 6,581
Curious whether you find the T1.3 presenting as bassier than the S2....I presume that to be the case. If the T1.3 had more sub-60 Hz stuff going on, based on what a couple friends have told me about their sound overall, I think I'd get along with them quite well. I recently missed a chance to try the S2, but might get another shot in a couple weeks.
The T1.3 has more bass than the S2. It has no problems reaching deep and I frequently get the sensation of feeling the subbass in my chest if the track calls for it. I need to spend time with the S2 again and see how they are on my current system.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #5,115 of 6,581
The HD660S2 are fine for $399, but they aren't that special. I honestly hoped they'd have more bass as a total contrast to the 800 - they don't.
Why would you think that? They are not in the same league/price. HD820 brought more bass compared to HD800. That's the same league.

I can't comment on the whole 6xx series. I never tried any of them, only S2. And I can say that they are versatile and good/great at everything. You can play any music; they are good, and you can play them on tubes or solid state amps. With the natural-sounding DAC, S2 is excellent again.

I have a couple of other headphones I enjoy a lot and are in the same league, but I can't say they are so versatile for any of them.

Why did you expect more bass with S2? I didn't. They have enough bass and are very precise, and what's most important to me is that they are so exciting and involving.
I have two other headphones at the same level Ibasso SR3 and Monolith 1060C, which I like a lot, but if I have to keep one of these three, I would keep S2 without second thinking. I would be missing these two...but S2 would stay for sure.

These things are very much individual.

The whole story reminds me of the talks about espresso and espresso machines and grinders and coffee, the level of roasts and aromas, etc. So many theories.
There are hundreds of wrong and right ways when you listen to what everyone has to say...but in the end, the thing is very individual...because we all are so different. There isn't one or a few ways; there are many ways.

I think that you made a mistake expecting something that there wasn't any chance you could find there, like expecting to find a fox with a rabbit's nature :)

What other headphones did you try, or do you have so you could compare to S2?

But they are double the price of S2, aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back