Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Sep 28, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #5,090 of 6,581
well they coast much more i would expect them to be better

They are better. They're very different & I understand why some people may not like them, but they are a masterpiece in personal audio.

The HD660S2 are fine for $399, but they aren't that special. I honestly hoped they'd have more bass as a total contrast to the 800 - they don't. I use my MEST MKII IEMs for gaming over the HD660S2 if I want a bit more bass.

What they are good for is watching films - but the pads are very toasty. I can't find another use for them where I don't have something better.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #5,091 of 6,581
They are better. They're very different & I understand why some people may not like them, but they are a masterpiece in personal audio.

The HD660S2 are fine for $399, but they aren't that special. I honestly hoped they'd have more bass as a total contrast to the 800 - they don't. I use my MEST MKII IEMs for gaming over the HD660S2 if I want a bit more bass.

What they are good for is watching films - but the pads are very toasty. I can't find another use for them where I don't have something better.
if you really think that the hd660s2 is not fuller, fuller, with much more sub and mid bass, then you are either already deaf or your source is very weak. by the way, this is a 660s2 thread, go to the hd800 thread, we're not interested in that here, especially since you're talking nonsense.tonally, the 660s2 is much better, it doesn't have the visito's upper mids and highs, which makes it sound artificially plastic, like the hd800 has. I'm not even talking about the fact that we don't buy such expensive headphones for games, we're not children. I think you can be if you can only reason with him.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #5,092 of 6,581

Again you state that the pads of the HD660S2 are toasty. I wore them in 41 degrees celsius for a very long time without any problems. But in a dry climate. In central Europe.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #5,093 of 6,581
if you really think that the hd660s2 is not fuller, fuller, with much more sub and mid bass, then you are either already deaf or your source is very weak. by the way, this is a 660s2 thread, go to the hd800 thread, we're not interested in that here, especially since you're talking nonsense.tonally, the 660s2 is much better, it doesn't have the visito's upper mids and highs, which makes it sound artificially plastic, like the hd800 has. I'm not even talking about the fact that we don't buy such expensive headphones for games, we're not children. I think you can be if you can only reason with him.

Watch your tone.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #5,094 of 6,581
Again you state that the pads of the HD660S2 are toasty. I wore them in 41 degrees celsius for a very long time without any problems. But in a dry climate. In central Europe.
I'm in Bangkok.

Well, I'm in Thailand & toastiness aside, they are good, but not excellent headphones. The bass is there, but it's definitely lacking. I was a little disappointed.

Sep 28, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #5,095 of 6,581
I'm in Bangkok.
Have you tried a dehumidifier? My wife and I can't live without one :) We have a lot of moister in the Summer, and the dehumidifier is just great.
We don't sweat at all in our apartment at 35 degrees. It can collect 3-4 litres of water from the air every day.
Winter is different; with lower temperatures, there is not much moisture.
Perhaps it could be the way in your listening area, and you wouldn't have problems with pads and sweating.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #5,096 of 6,581
Well, I'm in Thailand & toastiness aside, they are good, but not excellent headphones. The bass is there, but it's definitely lacking. I was a little disappointed.
Sure they do not match the bass of my very large subwoofer in my living room cinema system. But they improve enough to be excellent at all my music preferences. Plus they are light, comfortable and do not break the bank.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #5,098 of 6,581
I fail for the internet hype and got a 660S2. It's very good, but not really impressive against S1. The major difference I noticed is where they start to boost to get a warm sound profile. I spend lot of time on youtubers, lectures etc, so I pay more attention to speech than music.

S1 starts to boost from lower mids, like nnnnnnn. So, sometime, people sound pretensions like how people talk in movies.
S2 starts to boost from upper bass, like mmmmm, lower than S1. This gives it a warmer and clearer impression as m is less audible or noticeable than n. It also gives people a hallway or tunnel effect treatment without making it muddy. It's pretty nice for music. But for speech, I found it less natural like synthesized.

Previously I did not like S1, I felt it was muddy. But once I understood it was just a little boost in the NNN region, the muddiness seemed to go away.

I don't know yet which one I will prefer a few weeks later. I kind of like the hallway effect for music but not for speech.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #5,099 of 6,581
What happened to Z1R?
Oh that one is still around, but rarely used. It is not as balanced over all as the HD650 to HD660S2 family. And that one is really toasty oh boy... due to this it is more a wintertime fun headphone.

Sep 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #5,100 of 6,581
Oh that one is still around, but rarely used.
You mentioned breaking the bank, so I thought you perhaps sold these. I am reading the thread at the moment (Z1R). There is a lot to read; I am on the 150th page. :)

I like S2 a lot. I don't compare my headphones. Either I like them or not...and the degree of excitement is always a bit different with certain headphones...but it's always there.

But I am not an audiophile; it's just that...I am passionate about the music I prefer. I don't need to cut the sound into pieces...the impression of the sound matters to me. With certain music, I can change headphones or the amplification...and voila...I am smiling all the time :)

So, S2 is a complete winner to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back