Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 2, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #301 of 6,800
And what exactly an upgrade is?

For 650: owners, a similar tuning with better technicalities and more bass?

For 660S owners, a similar tuning with better technicalities more bass?

For 600 owners, a similar tuning with better technicalities and more bass?

Maybe a tuning that combines the three of them?

Maybe a totally different tuning?

Maybe following a specific target curve like Harman?

What an upgrade is?

What are you guys exactly want?

Hey I am taking to you Jim, how you like it?

Hey Peter, what is an upgrade for you?

Maybe John will tell us?

Well?

Silence....

This is a new Headphone with different tuning, different sound signature, a new personality and character.

Get along with it.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #305 of 6,800
The only controversy around the 660S launch was that everyone gave it very high praise reviews until Tyl’s video was uploaded and it stirred the pot.

Tyl called the 660s grainy. Enough said.
Cannot confirm one way or another but it's possible that Tyll may have unknowingly suffered from a form of tinnitus making him highly irritable to certain higher frequencies. All 3 of my favourite phones, the HD700, AKG k812 and the HD660S received similar fates while he loved the earlier Audeze that lacked any high frequency content or the ("veiled"?) 650s. That could also be saying something about my hearing, hopefully not. lol
Should say though that I always thoroughly enjoyed his reviews. : )

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #306 of 6,800
Given Tyll no longer gives a F about headphone, let's all just move on. The fact that the only person having heard it cannot definitely say 660S2 is an actual upgrade from HD650 is probably all we need to know at this point.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #308 of 6,800
Do you mean the outside grill or something else?
I will check later tonight.
Inkedimage.jpg

Behind the grill, looks like a white material instead of steel. Maybe it's just the light. Thanks for checking.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #309 of 6,800
Given Tyll no longer gives a F about headphone, let's all just move on. ......
Sadly Tyll's remarks will be continued to be repeated ad nauseam and (have) become fact by those who have never even heard the aforementioned phones, such is the internet. : (

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #310 of 6,800
Sadly Tyll's remarks will be continued to be repeated ad nauseam and (have) become fact by those who have never even heard the aforementioned phones, such is the internet. : (
Sadly that's what happens, one bad or mixed review by a popular reviewer can hinder a headphone that many may find enjoyable. It can also lead to the echo chamber effect.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #311 of 6,800
You know that there are people who adore the 650 and others who love the 660S without finding any problems at all.

So I don't understand your question.

What is really the problem with the 6xx series?

That you don't like them?

Are you asking if it has a tuning, sound signature and technicallities of your personal liking?

Well, I don't know.

I think at 400-450 it would be more palatable. It has to do something new or wonderful at 600.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #315 of 6,800
The question for me will be, can the 660S2 beat the 650 on a good OTL amp? Cause from where I sit right now the 650 lords it over all the 6 series HPs with it's performance from that type of amplification. It holds the title belt ha
We will find out but I don't know if I have the mood to share something in this thread any longer.
Maybe you should wait for my "paid" review...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back