Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #226 of 6,586
From the hints I've read it seems like it could sound like a HD600 on tubes without being on tubes?

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #227 of 6,586
Enough speculation...
image.jpg
image.jpg

All aboard?
Are they shipping it in that smaller low quality box the new versions of the HD600 and 650 are now in? I would expect the older style black presentation box with foam inside, especially for the price.

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #228 of 6,586
Time to let them burn and get some sleep.
image.jpg
Over and out.

Come on. You can give us some initial impressions and then still hit us off w the in-depth review piece. Right? Give us a taste bro ha

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #229 of 6,586
i-want-a-taste-let-me-taste.gif

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #230 of 6,586
Are they shipping it in that smaller low quality box the new versions of the HD600 and 650 are now in? I would expect the older style black presentation box with foam inside, especially for the price.

The old style packaging was so wasteful. Most people are either going to throw it away or just stick it in a closet to gather dust. I don't care if a headphone costs $2000, there's no need to create waste to justify the cost.

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #231 of 6,586
These are some "naïve" thoughts of a music lover and headphone enthusiast. Amateurs like to "create" their own models - a habit potentially useful to the product designers.
[Of course I may be mistaken because I am not sure "which" Sennheiser is parent to Neumann: Is it Sonova (which now owns the consumer part of Sennheiser) or is it the pro-oriented Sennheiser? I would really like a clarification of this, but either way my comments about costumer expectations remain the same.]

I am looking forward to listen to all your new significant models, including HD-660S of course!
We welcome all of the the thoughts and dreams. To be honest, there are always headphone discussions at all price points and feature levels, discussed all the time within the 4 walls. Not every idea can make the cut. On paper, all of these things are possible (and many have been achieved, even if not public) but the reality of business, distribution, timing, costing, (and somewhere near the bottom of the list -- physics) combine to influence the development of some products over others, at intervals (years, decades, months, etc) that would bore the community to tears. Dream away!

Quick crash course:
  • Sennheiser electronic GmBH owns Neumann, which up until the late 1900's (ha!) was its own company
  • Sennheiser sold off the consumer audio business (audiophile, wireless media consumption headphones, sound bars, etc) to Sonova
    • The consumer audio spinoff includes the talent, manufacturing, tooling, etc so that the spirit and talent can continue to do what they do best. Sonova is simply the parent
  • Sennheiser electronic GmBH (and Neumann) will continue to focus on pro and commercial audio applications
  • Sonova-owned Sennheiser consumer audio will continue to focus on audiophile, premium and home audio (think our MOMENTUM and AMBEO series), while beefing up some enhanced hearing opportunities (which was already a sizeable business for Sennheiser pre-Sonova)
I always felt the HD700 finally broke the hd600 mould with greatly improved imaging, clarity, base impact and extension and both ends. Not to mention a fresh new design and driver placement, basically a very different phone designed from the ground up and the much needed missing link between the HDD600/650 and the HD800 IMHO.
Super comfortable with a great chassis and tremendous treble speed.
From the hints I've read it seems like it could sound like a HD600 on tubes without being on tubes?
To my ears, the warmth of the 660S2 comes at the transducer level with the bass/sub-bass tuning opposed to the "rounded edges" and [delicious] impulse response that tubes offer earlier in the chain. The 660S2's "backdrop" on solid state is pitch black, which makes the subtle details really jump out (300 ohm ftw). Hoping to try some tube rigs at CanJam NYC but the community will likely (and should) beat me to it. That said I've never heard a 600 headphone sound lesser on a decent tube rig and am really looking forward to impressions from the vacuum crowd.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 1, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #232 of 6,586
The old style packaging was so wasteful. Most people are either going to throw it away or just stick it in a closet to gather dust. I don't care if a headphone costs $2000, there's no need to create waste to justify the cost.
Sadly, the box was always the least-used item with its intended audience. Those that needed to transport high-end cans typically had a preferred hard case with gaskets, locks and handles anyways.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 1, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #233 of 6,586
That is a lot to ask and possibly not in the realm of physics for that driver.
Why not, it has already happened recently with a 38mm diaphragm Sennheiser driver, embedded in a strong and sophisticated housing. :wink: Reaching the deepest bass with impressive linearity+precision and offering outstanding transients. At least, much above the performance of the HD-650 (also a 42mm driver/38mm diaphragm).
Let's hope it can be achieved again - though in a less revolutionary housing this time.

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #234 of 6,586
We welcome all of the the thoughts and dreams. To be honest, there are always headphone discussions at all price points and feature levels, discussed all the time within the 4 walls. Not every idea can make the cut. On paper, all of these things are possible (and many have been achieved, even if not public) but the reality of business, distribution, timing, costing, (and somewhere near the bottom of the list -- physics) combine to influence the development of some products over others, at intervals (years, decades, months, etc) that would bore the community to tears. Dream away!

Quick crash course:
  • Sennheiser electronic GmBH owns Neumann, which up until the late 1900's (ha!) was its own company
  • Sennheiser sold off the consumer audio business(audiophile, wireless media consumption headphones, sound bars, etc) to Sonova
    • The consumer audio spinoff includes the talent, manufacturing, tooling, etc so that the spirit and talent can continue to do what they do best. Sonova is simply the parent
  • Sennheiser electronic GmBH (and Neumann) will continue to focus on pro and commercial audio applications
  • Sonova-owned Sennheiser consumer audio will continue to focus on audiophile, premium and home audio (think our MOMENTUM and AMBEO series), while beefing up some enhanced hearing opportunities (which was already a sizeable business for Sennheiser pre-Sonova)

Super comfortable with a great chassis and tremendous treble speed.

To my ears, the warmth of the 660S2 comes at the transducer level with the bass/sub-bass tuning opposed to the "rounded edges" and [delicious] impulse response that tubes offer earlier in the chain. The 660S2's "backdrop" on solid state is pitch black, which makes the subtle details really jump out (300 ohm ftw). Hoping to try some tube rigs at CanJam NYC but the community will likely (and should) beat me to it. That said I've never heard a 600 headphone sound lesser on a decent tube rig and am really looking forward to impressions from the vacuum crowd.

Sadly, the box was always the least-used item with its intended audience. Those that needed to transport high-end cans typically had a preferred hard case with gaskets, locks and handles anyways.

You just need to copy & paste this every few days.

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #235 of 6,586
Why not, it has already happened recently with a 38mm diaphragm Sennheiser driver, embedded in a strong and sophisticated housing. :wink: Reaching the deepest bass with impressive linearity+precision and offering outstanding transients. At least, much above the performance of the HD-650 (also a 42mm driver/38mm diaphragm).
Let's hope it can be achieved again - though in a less revolutionary housing this time.
Are you referring to a DIY project on the consumer side? I've heard all the HD6XX variants from Jupiter Audio Research - not sure if that or Bill-P's projects?

Feb 1, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #237 of 6,586
Are you referring to a DIY project on the consumer side? I've heard all the HD6XX variants from Jupiter Audio Research - not sure if that or Bill-P's projects?
No, no, just the "sister" Neumann NDH 30 because of its totally unexpected sound at € 640 (by "audiophile" pricing standards). It proves that almost everything is possible below € 1000.
Also that some shortcomings are not acceptable anymore at 4-digit prices if they are already solved at much less cost.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #238 of 6,586
Yes the plain package with a simple (read cheap) carrying pouch.
Sennheiser should learn a couple of things from Meze....

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #240 of 6,586
Firmly in the "don't care about the box" camp. I will say while I don't care much I don't want them damaged in shipping however. Amazon has a habit of wanting to ship some things without an outside box. Definitely a no-no.
A carrying case would be nice.
Nowadays much cheaper headphones than the 660S2 come with high quality cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back