Sennheiser HD 650
Aug 4, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Synthesize

New Head-Fier
Just purchased these headphones but I'm a newb when it comes to hifi audio. I currently have the omega claro halo sound card and just wanted to know what the best setup would be with it. I know it is recommended to set the sound card to high impedance mode but would it work fine with my bose companion 3 speakers? Also should I have my headphones connected directly to the sound card or could I plug them into the bose control pod without any issues?

Thanks.

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Since that card is supposed to have a built in headphone amp, you'd probably get better results from plugging the HD650s into soundcards HP out, using the high impedance mode, and plug the speakers into the RCA outs.

Aug 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 11
I currently have it set up that way and the headphones sound great. Would it make sense to get an amp and connect it to the claro halo through the RCA ports for even better results? I want to be able to get the most out of these cans. Any suggestions? My budget would be around $200.

Appreciate the help. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 11
It can.  I don't know exactly how good the built in amp is, so I couldn't easily tell what would be better, but still within your budget.

Does it start to sound harsh as you turn it up more?  If so, a better amp will improve that.

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 11
It does seem to get a bit harsh as the volume increases but I'm not surprised as the amps on the sound card aren't high quality. My main concern is that the headphones don't seem to be as dynamic as I thought they would be.

Should I upgrade the amps on the sound card or would it be better to invest in a dedicated amp? I did some research and found some interest in tube amps. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the Darkvoice 336SE, but would it be worth it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 11
That soundcard is already as good a DAC as you're likely to need.  Changing the opamps in the soundcard will change the sound sig a bit, but it won't give it any more power or voltage swing, which is what they really need.  I don't think there are any soundcards with amps strong enough to really drive the HD650 properly, so a stand alone headphone amp makes sense and will yield a noticeable improvement.

IIRC I've heard people say good things about the combination of the DV336 and the HD650s.  I've heard people say this was even better though, so I ordered one for my HD650s.  I haven't received it yet though.  I use the Maverick D1 DAC/amp combo with my HD650 right now and it works quite well, but I decided I liked the tube sound and sprung for a tube amp.  You don't need another DAC anyway.

Also, have you decided on a tube amp over solid state?  If you're thinking about a solid state amp I'd check this out.  I'm not really in the market for another SS desktop amp so I haven't read the whole thread, but just about everything I've heard about it has been positive.

Aug 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 11
I'd also check out the Matrix M-Stage. It's been getting fantastic reviews, and I just picked one up (lightly used) for $210 shipped.

NOTE: All of the following is presented as my own summary of many, many threads that I have read here on Head-Fi over the past month or so. Being a fellow newbie, albeit already obsessed, I just wanted to share whatever I've picked up so far as I know it's sort of tough to get started on all this new info at the very beginning. 

I'm not really an expert on your particular soundcard, but it's highly unlikely from what I've heard that it's putting out a clean analog signal at 300 ohms, which is what the impedance of the HD650s are. Realistically, to take your listening experience "to the next level" (as cliché as that sounds...), what you'll want to improve is (1) your amplifier, and hook up your sound card's line out to that. (2) Next, you'll want to move your DAC (Digital to Analog Converter, which essentially the function of your soundcard + its crappy built in amp) outside of your computer, where it will be free of any noise, etc. produced by all the circuitry inside your computer case. And finally, once your budget allows it, (3) improve the cabling between your components. Of course, the order of 1, 2, and 3, from what I understand, is absolutely arbitrary, and there are lots of steps in between an M-Stage and a truly top of the line amplifier (Balanced Beta22's seem to be regarded as the top of the line SS amps, and a range of tube amps seem to be in contention for "best tube amp ever").

So to sum up, I'd highly recommend getting an amp next. The big choice you'll have to make is whether or not to go tube or solid state. I'd recommend starting off with solid state, just because many agree that the quality of "entry level" solid state amps, especially contenders like the M-Stage or the Asgard, is remarkably above their price point and just plain very good. As an added bonus for you, both of these amps are especially good with the HD650s. Schiit claims on their FAQ that the Asgard sounds especially good when paired with Senns (and the HD650s in particular), and the M-Stage is basically a part for part clone of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which was designed with Senn HD6X0 cans in mind. Tube amps, on the other hand, require a considerably larger investment, and many say that the intro ones (such as the DV 336SE) are good, but need to be "tube rolled" (the tubes need to be replaced) in order for them to sound great. 

I'm JUST starting into this hobby now too after sort of wanting to dabble for years (just ordered a pair of HD650s and an M-Stage to go with my uDac-2), and actually placed an order for a DV 336SE on ebay like 4 days ago, but cancelled the order before it shipped because I've been doing all this obsessive reading lol. 

Anyways... that's the gist of all the info I've gotten so far. Happy listening, dude, and report back whatever you hear. At the end of the day, your ears are your best friends and the most important listeners, so trust them over the online ramblings of headphone obsessed crackpots :).

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Consider a Little Dot MK II, it's an OTL design perfectly suited for the HD650, cheap and easily available both used and new, i'm using it right now with my HD650, with a set of good NOS tubes it sounds really good.

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 11
I did some more researching and I'm stuck between these amps.

Matrix M-stage
Little Dot MK II
Black DV 336SE

I also came across the schiit asgard/valhalla amps and I'm actually looking at pre-ordering one of these. They seem very promising and are made in the US. They're however on backorder until early september but at this point I'm not sure if I want to wait until then. I'm also on the fence whether I want to go solid state or tube, is it worth the $100 difference?

Is it worth the wait in terms of quality and performance or should I just pull the trigger on one of the other amps? I'm leaning more towards the matrix m-stage since many are recommending it. What do you guys think?

Thanks for all the feedback! You guys are awesome.
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 11
I decided I didn't want to wait for the asgard so I pulled the trigger on the matrix m stage. I plan on connecting the amp to the claro halo sound card through the RCA outs. Would that be the ideal setup for me since my sound card is a decent enough DAC and should I also look into buying a higher quality rca cable? I bought mine from monoprice and the cable is listed as 75ohm but I'm not sure if that really matters.

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 11
The claro halo should be all the DAC you need.  The monoprice cables are also plenty good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back