Sennheiser HD 650 wrong drivers?!
Aug 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

caliskimmer

100+ Head-Fier
So I just recently sold a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s to a person on eBay. He said they were fine, but then a couple of days later, he is now reporting that the drivers are marked (HD 580). Was I scammed from the original buyer when I first bought these? Is this a mistake? The weird part is that the 650s sounded EXACTLY how they are reported to sound: dark and veiled. Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
caliskimmer

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Post #419 from this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/253519/hd650-uses-hd580-drivers
Quote:
Tyll Hertsens said:

Okie dokie; back to our regularly scheduled broadcast:

I just recieved this correspondance from Katrin Huss:

"Dear Tyll,
thanks for adressing this issue to us. It is my pleasure to share with you (and the head-fi.org group) the background.

Sennheiser has an excellent reputation for the quality of its products.
One of the methods to prevent mistakes in production you just observed. The membrane material for HD 580/600/650 is indeed the same, although the drivers are different. The printing shows up on the foil regularly, but not on every single membrane. This is the reason why not all of the drivers show the printing. However it helps helps our production team to check if the material is the correct one during the production setup.

So what was observed is not a wrong driver but a proof for a good quality process set-up.

I hope this information helps to settle the discussion. Please feel free to contact me again in case of any questions.

I just planned my trip to CES and hope to meet you again there!

Best regards,
Katrin Huss

Product Marketing Manager"

So, the deal is basically what I assumed: they instantiated another quality step in the manufacturing process by lableing the diaphragm materials and the 580, 600, and 650 all share the same diaphragm. Basta!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back