Sennheiser HD 650 vs HD 600
Feb 18, 2004 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Spiret

New Head-Fier
I am considering a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, and I hope you may answer these questions:

What is the sonical differences between the HD 650 and the HD 600?

How will you describe the sound of the HD 650/ HD 600?

Is it the best headphone for the price?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 35
I briefly compared the 600 and the 650 before picking up the 650. I found the sound of both to be quite detailed and enjoyable, although I found the HD-650 to be lacking the "veiled" sound that some people do not like about the HD-600. The 600 is still a great phone, especially considering the drop in price relative to the 650. I was personally looking for the best sound quality I could find in the $500-ish price range and opted for the HD-650.

Feb 18, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 35
There are several others headphones that sound better than the HD650's, but not for the price. Were it not for your last option, I would have voted that the HD650's sound better than the HD600's. No doubt about the (for most observers) and in my opinion the price difference is justified as well.

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 35
Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif
I would also like to see some of you describe the sound of the HD 650. Is it different from the HD 600?

Feb 18, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 35
I only did a quick comparison too when picking up my 650's. I thought the 600's sounded a lot like my ety ER-4s. Lots of detail and very good overall sound but very analytical. The 650's sounded better right off. It puts you into the music. They sounded a little boomy at 1st but then I replaced the stock cable with the Zu cable and it opened everything up. More detail, bigger soundstage, wider dynamic range. I knew that I would not be using the stock cable no matter which model I picked up. The 650's are now better than the etys in every way except portability and isolation. I never use my etys at home anymore.

Feb 18, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 35
I would agree that the 650's sound better, however, I'm all for getting the cheapest phones that still sound very good, so I went with the 600's here. I'm a poor, starving college student, so the 600 is the best bang for the buck for me.

Feb 18, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 35
The HD650's easily sound the better of the two because of the bass extension. I had an HD600 equivalent and after adjusting to the HD650's for a day or two, whenever I went back to the HD600's, it felt like there was a layer of bass depth missing. It wasn't so much bass you hear but you sense, it just felt like something was missing. The real question is whether or not you feel that you can justify the price difference. I got the HD650's at a great price and I didn't have anything else to spend the money on so I went ahead and kept them.

Feb 18, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 35
I think the 650's sound much better than the 600's. Cleaner highs, more forward mids, and much deeper and stronger sounding bass. Add the Zu cable and they take it up another notch. They are worth the extra cash over the 600's.
The phones I think would be better I have not had a chance to hear.(R-10, Omega II, leatherhead) I think they are better than the Grado HP-2, RS-1, Beyer DT880, AKG K1000, Sony CD3000, and any other phones I've owned so far.

Feb 18, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Add the Zu cable and they take it up another notch.

I'm wondering, what notch would be the bigger one, from 600 to 650's, or from 650-stock to 650-Zu?

Feb 18, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
I'm wondering, what notch would be the bigger one, from 600 to 650's, or from 650-stock to 650-Zu?

I think the 600-650 is a bigger change. The Zu takes whats there and fine tunes it. I've got to listen to the 600/Zu next to the stock 650 and still preferred the 650.(I'm also a fan of the 600) I know alot of people will disagree with me here but I think the 650 is more of a different headphone than the 600, and not just an upgraded 600 sound. The Zu makes it even more different. All my opinions are formed using either the Shanling CDP with mods, the Audio Aero Capitole MKII, or the Cary 306/200 with the Singlepower SDS amp. With other gear they may sound closer to each other than with mine.

Feb 18, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

All my opinions are formed using either the Shanling CDP with mods, the Audio Aero Capitole MKII, or the Cary 306/200 with the Singlepower SDS amp. With other gear they may sound closer to each other than with mine.

Don't have the 650's yet (backordered at HR), but given that comment, I think I won't consider the Zu or even the Oelhbach cable upgrades, at least not until listening to them or a/b comparing with stock first hand in a meet. Probably not worth the extra cost unless the gear behind the 650's is extremely resolving. My gear will be (for a while at least) a modded NS500V, and the little Perreaux. Not to diminish these, I think they are great value and great sounding, but truly a modded NS500V is no Shanling, and the little Perreaux is no Singlepower SDS
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 35
HD650 is the better choice. Very sensitive to bad equipment, though, more so than the HD600s.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Don't have the 650's yet (backordered at HR), but given that comment, I think I won't consider the Zu or even the Oelhbach cable upgrades, at least not until listening to them or a/b comparing with stock first hand in a meet. Probably not worth the extra cost unless the gear behind the 650's is extremely resolving. My gear will be (for a while at least) a modded NS500V, and the little Perreaux. Not to diminish these, I think they are great value and great sounding, but truly a modded NS500V is no Shanling, and the little Perreaux is no Singlepower SDS
biggrin.gif

I think the improvement of the Zu will be very noticable even with modest gear. I got a chance to listen to my 650/zu with a modified Sony and a perreaux amp at my place and thought the system was very good.
The Shanling and Cary are not even close to the level of the Audio Aero and the improvments with the Zu over stock cable was the same on all three CDP's. IMO the Zu cable is going to add it's touch to the 650's no matter what gear you use them on.
CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE!!

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #14 of 35
As a fan of the HD 650 I can warmly recommend it. With the right system synergy and a good cable (keyword Zu Mobius) it simply leaves nothing to be desired (which IMO doesn't apply to the same degree to the HD 600). I even don't dream of R10 and Omega II -- maybe I would like them even better, but who cares as long as I don't miss anything.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've never been so satisfied in terms of headphone gear like I'm now.

Tom Hankins is right: you don't need a killer setup to benefit from the cable upgrade.

peacesign.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

IMO the Zu cable is going to add it's touch to the 650's no matter what gear you use them on. CONGRATS ON YOUR PURCHASE!!

Man sorry for my wallet then ...
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back