Sennheiser HD 650 sounds muffled
Jul 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #31 of 56
After adding an ASUS STX sound card, I changed out the computer supply unit and replaced it with a better quality power supply unit.  Made a big difference in my emotional response to the sound quality being outputted to my ears and removed much of the veil that you and others write of.

FWIW, I've also found that the high/low responsiveness of the HD-650 improves with usage.  How much time do the HD-650's have on them?

I don't know what one could do to improve the sound that I'm getting.  This, of course, is short of going to the heroic efforts of modifying the sound card or throwing hundreds of dollars at the equation adding DAC"s and Amps but personally, I don't want any DAC/Amp boxes on my desktop.

I do have a recable order in to replace the factory supplied headphone cables.  Don't know what they'll add to the listening equation, but they are on order and win/lose or draw, they will at the very least, look majorly cool.

Another major improvement, contrary to Audiophile law, there's no real law on the books stating that you can't EQ the sound signal, so I EQ the signal going to the HD-650's and got no problem doing so.  Makes for a major improvement in the sound quality.

Hope the above helps.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #33 of 56
The above graph sure explains why the need to EQ the sound quality.

beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #34 of 56
The HD650 is the most "natural" sounding can in my collection.  I prefer "natural" over "neutral", I prefer more accurate to reality over accurate to recording, recordings which often at times have no bearing whatsoever on how reality actually sounds.  The HD650 is neither muddy nor veiled to my ears.

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #35 of 56

Quote:
The HD650 is the most "natural" sounding can in my collection.  I prefer "natural" over "neutral", I prefer more accurate to reality over accurate to recording, recordings which often at times have no bearing whatsoever on how reality actually sounds.  The HD650 is neither muddy nor veiled to my ears.

I agree with your use of the term 'natural'. I though that my HD600 was extremely natural and downright gorgeous except for two things.
1) they lacked bass extension.
2) the upper end was slightly muted or 'rolled-off'... for my tastes. It was not producing the highs I'd come to know (and missed) in my recordings.

I had thought to try the HD650, but if that graph is correct, it's highs are even more subdued... downright gone above 10k.

shane

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #36 of 56

Quote:
I agree with your use of the term 'natural'. I though that my HD600 was extremely natural and downright gorgeous except for two things.
1) they lacked bass extension.
2) the upper end was slightly muted or 'rolled-off'... for my tastes. It was not producing the highs I'd come to know (and missed) in my recordings.

I had thought to try the HD650, but if that graph is correct, it's highs are even more subdued... downright gone above 10k.

shane

Seems like you are in need of T1 or HD800.  The treble response in the HD650 is correct for moderate to enthusiastic volume levels - the mids then match the treble (loudness curve) - For lower listening levels the HD650 treble is rolled off.  My sessions are generally loud and short (less than 1 hour) - I generally resort to either D7000 or K701 for moderate/low level listening.  Then back to the HD650 for low level extended sessions.

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #37 of 56
This is probably where an HD650 owner should say something about the old and new 650s, silver drivers and the limitations of HR graphs.

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #38 of 56

Quote:
This is probably where an HD650 owner should say something about the old and new 650s, silver drivers and the limitations of HR graphs.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had to look up the difference, and it turns out that I have the new ones. But yeah, this tidbit does confound matters when talking about the HD650's "rolled off highs"...

Jul 26, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #39 of 56

Quote:
I know buying headphones without trying first is stupid, but I got a good offer, so I could not resist... My other headphone is an old AKG K66. When I first tried it, I was prepared to experience something better, but the sound of the 650 really disappointed me. Compared to the K66, the Sennheiser sounds muffled, the highs are completely missing for me. I'm using the output of an old Soundblaster Live! soundcard. I know all about 650 having a higher (300Ohm) impedance.. etc., so I'm ready to purchase a headphone amp, but I'm affraid it will only increase the bass, not the highs. Should I give another chance to the 650 by buying better equipment, or does this mean it is simly not the headphone for me.

I've noticed treble and mid veil or muffling on 50ohm phones unamped.  Get some power and that should remedy most of it.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #40 of 56
SP Wild wrote:

For lower listening levels the HD650 treble is rolled off.

I listen at 3 and 5 out of a possible 100 and the treble is right there.

???

Yes, there's benefit to cranking a bit (10 or 12 out of a possible 100) to get a fuller sound but I have no trouble discerning highs at very low levels.

(No, I don't have Golden Ears and yes, in my opinion I have normal to less than normal hearing capabilities.)

???

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #41 of 56
I had the same issues with the stock HD650s, but recabling has made quite a bit of difference for me.  Wrote up a review (link in my sig block), called Duel of the X-es.  Now they are my favorite full-sized cans.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #42 of 56

Quote:
SP Wild wrote:

For lower listening levels the HD650 treble is rolled off.

I listen at 3 and 5 out of a possible 100 and the treble is right there.

???

Yes, there's benefit to cranking a bit (10 or 12 out of a possible 100) to get a fuller sound but I have no trouble discerning highs at very low levels.

(No, I don't have Golden Ears and yes, in my opinion I have normal to less than normal hearing capabilities.)

???

Okay you caught me out.  I don't find the HD650 treble rolled - off at any volume outright - but relative to other cans?  One must acknowledge the differences in opinion and consolidate somehow in order to, y'know - keep the peace.  Cheers.

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #43 of 56

I had the same issues with the stock HD650s, but recabling has made quite a bit of difference for me.  Wrote up a review (link in my sig block), called Duel of the X-es.  Now they are my favorite full-sized cans.

What cable did you go with?

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #44 of 56
Oh.. can it get worse than this? 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #45 of 56
For what its worth... the lower the volume, the more bass and treble is needed to sound flat.  The Senn 650 is not flat at low levels.  The Grado GS1000 is but sounds terrible at moderate volume or higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back