Sennheiser HD 650 help
Sep 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

niglu93

New Head-Fier
So I just purchased a pair of HD 650s from amazon, Will receive them some time next week :) I want to use them with my iPhone/macbook pro, What do I need to buy? A DAC? An amplifier? and i would like to change the cable into something less bulky with a 3.5mm end without losing sound quality, what can I buy?
Thanks

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
So I just purchased a pair of HD 650s from amazon, Will receive them some time next week :) I want to use them with my iPhone/macbook pro, What do I need to buy? A DAC? An amplifier? and i would like to change the cable into something less bulky with a 3.5mm end without losing sound quality, what can I buy?
Thanks

How much are you willing to spend on a DAC and amp?

Sep 23, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Id rather not spend more than 100 euro (150 dollars) on and amp, unless there is a real noticable difference

What about the DAC? How much $$ for that?

Sep 23, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I was thinking of going for the fiio E7 or E17, would that not be good enough?

It would not. Best to get the O2 + ODAC which is 244$

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Thanks

As you can't really use the iPhone with an external DAC and apple products usually come with decent audio support, you could just go for an add-on external portable headphone amplifier for now.
The O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155) would be a nice choice, but it might be to big for you to want to carry around (maybe?).

The Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($52 USA) should decently drive the HD650 and the Fiio E11 can be used with the iPhone and Macbook Pro.
Get a Fiio "L" cable to connect the E11 to the LOD port on the iPhone.
Use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect the Macbook Pro to the E11.
If and when you order the Fiio E11, get the package deal which includes an extra battery (BL-5B) with a simple AC battery recharger, might be called the Micca accessory package.
Maybe get two extra batteries.

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
As you can't really use the iPhone with an external DAC and apple products usually come with decent audio support, you could just go for an add-on external portable headphone amplifier for now.
The O2 (Objective 2) portable headphone amplifier ($155) would be a nice choice, but it might be to big for you to want to carry around (maybe?).

The Fiio E11 portable headphone amplifier ($52 USA) should decently drive the HD650 and the Fiio E11 can be used with the iPhone and Macbook Pro.
Get a Fiio "L" cable to connect the E11 to the LOD port on the iPhone.
Use a 3.5mm male to male cable to connect the Macbook Pro to the E11.
If and when you order the Fiio E11, get the package deal which includes an extra battery (BL-5B) with a simple AC battery recharger, might be called the Micca accessory package.
Maybe get two extra batteries.

The E11 can drive a HD650
eek.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 14
Not to highjack the threat, but I'm also thinking of buying a pair of HD650's.

I currently have a HD 595 and Fiio E10 and I like it.

Aside from the cost of the HD 650 purchase, how much more money will I have to spend for the additional DAC and/or amp to hear a noticeable difference compared to my 595+E10 combo?

In other words, how much will I have to spend on DAC/amp to decently drive the 650 to its potential? I would prefer to save money and use the E10 in the set up somehow, if possible. Thanks

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
The E11 can drive a HD650
eek.gif

Currently listing to Lights by Ellie Goulding, using my Essence STX as a DAC, with my E11 connected to to the STX's line-out, with my DT880 600-Ohm headphones plugged into the E11, sounds nice.
But the Senn HD650 might be a more demanding 300-Ohm headphone.

Personally I would think Audio Technica ATH-A900X would have been a better choice (only 40-Ohms) for use with an iPhone.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Not to highjack the threat, but I'm also thinking of buying a pair of HD650's.

I currently have a HD 595 and Fiio E10 and I like it.

Aside from the cost of the HD 650 purchase, how much more money will I have to spend for the additional DAC and/or amp to hear a noticeable difference compared to my 595+E10 combo?

In other words, how much will I have to spend on DAC/amp to decently drive the 650 to its potential? I would prefer to save money and use the E10 in the set up somehow, if possible. Thanks

It's hard to imagine what it means, driving a headphone to its full potential. Certain amps will work better with it than others. You may find a very expensive headphone amp with your HD650 still doesn't sound as good as your 595+E10 (although that is unlikely). Things are more about gradients and preference than about absolute fact.
For instance my Essence soundcard may drive the 650's adequately but it doesn't mean that I find it a preferrable setup to my 598's with a 30 year old cheap mitsubishi speaker amp.

I think to find enjoyment in your 650's, look for something affordable like an asgard or little dot3 (products that are known to work well with the 650's) and then decide whether you do or don't want to bother with tubes. And just go from there.

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 14
I would look at the fiio e9 or the o2. I don't think the e11 has enough power for them. If you don't have the budget for a dac, just run them straight out of your amp until you can afford to buy one. The odac is 150 dollars and is recommended a lot here so that seems like a good choice. And as someone said above, if you want to use your iphone buy a lod.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #14 of 14
I agree... Get the headphones... and save up for a better dac/hp amp.

You might also look at the Schiit stack with modi and either the magni or vali.

Btw, can the Vali create higher voltage swings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back