Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #661 of 737
cool, i ordered 2 gold 4 pole 3.5mm jacks from ebay, should have it in a few days, im based in Aylesbury in Buckingham, thats around 50 mins from London and 30 mins from Oxford, ill have to look at some you tube videos, yes the wires are extremely thin, il have to stick with my 650s now and they will disturb my fellow passengers, ha, ive also bought a usb powered solder device, just have to figure out how to connect it to the four pole, your friend, doed he have a headphone repair business or something or is he a enthusiast with skills?

Also if you are based in America does anyone there sell legit cables? that i can order from online as its non existent on a google search :frowning2:

The UK person I am aware of builds and sells custom made headphone cables. So he is more than qualified to repair yours.

As far as who sells the full replacement cable (no soldering required), Sennheiser themselves are your only option.

Here’s the contact info for the UK office:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support-contact-center

Nov 11, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #662 of 737
The UK person I am aware of builds and sells custom made headphone cables. So he is more than qualified to repair yours.

As far as who sells the full replacement cable (no soldering required), Sennheiser themselves are your only option.

Here’s the contact info for the UK office:

https://en-uk.sennheiser.com/service-support-contact-center

if you can provide me details this person id rarther pay and get it done properly, maybe he can mod my cans and the the detachable 3.5mm jack cable, like you did....

Thank you for the support, its really apreciated

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #663 of 737
if you can provide me details this person id rarther pay and get it done properly, maybe he can mod my cans and the the detachable 3.5mm jack cable, like you did....

Thank you for the support, its really apreciated

Glad to help. I sent you the info in PM, so as to not clog up the thread.

Nov 13, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #664 of 737

ahh thanks

I received the stuff I ordered today, 2 4 pole 3.5mm jacks and 2 4 pole 3.5mm cables with mic, as they are dirt cheap I cut one of the 3.5mm cables and I was presented with 4 small thin wires, red green and 2 copper coloured cables

I think the 2 copper cables are ground or negative and the red and green as positive representing right and left channels,

I cut the HD630VB cables will i be presented with the same colours?

when you modded your HD630VB im sure you were presented with 4 cables of different colours, yes?

and lastly how did you determine where to solder the wires on the new jack, the jacks i have are not marked so how would one figure out where to connect/solder the HD630VB wires on the unmarked jack?

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #665 of 737
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #666 of 737
hi thanks for that

i bought a multi meter and iver got a solder machine, i have everything

ive carefully taken the faulty jack off to reveal 8 wires on the HD630VB

4 wires split in 2 making 8 the typical red green white and blue

8 makes it confusing, 4 more simple as ive got 4 connections on my replacement 4 pole jack

did u have 8 on your cans? nothing online to explain this.....

cheers

Nov 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #667 of 737
hi thanks for that

i bought a multi meter and iver got a solder machine, i have everything

ive carefully taken the faulty jack off to reveal 8 wires on the HD630VB

4 wires split in 2 making 8 the typical red green white and blue

8 makes it confusing, 4 more simple as ive got 4 connections on my replacement 4 pole jack

did u have 8 on your cans? nothing online to explain this.....

cheers

Did you carefully read the steps in this post?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...irst-impressions.766311/page-44#post-15300480

Also, here's some helpful videos:

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #668 of 737
I know at this point nobody probably cares about these headphones. But I saw them selling second hand and bought them. I was very curious about that variable bass implementation.
These cans are heavy, huge and not the most comfortable.
But, oh, boy, the sound is terrific. The more I listen to them, the more I just love them.
I'm listening to Orion String Quartet playing Beethoven's late quartets right now. Fantastic treble and mids and with the ability to tune the bass it just gives the right body to almost anything.
Very, very good indeed.
And the variable bass is perfect for listening to music at low volume.
Anyway, just my opinion about these long forgotten headphones.

Apr 10, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #669 of 737
I know at this point nobody probably cares about these headphones. But I saw them selling second hand and bought them. I was very curious about that variable bass implementation.
But, oh, boy, the sound is terrific. The more I listen to them, the more I just love them.
I'm listening to Orion String Quartet playing Beethoven's late quartets right now. Fantastic treble and mids and with the ability to tune the bass it just gives the right body to almost anything.
Very, very good indeed.
I sold mine to a gentleman here on the forums. I agree with you on the implementation,,,I just wish the crossover freq was a tad lower. They were not getting much use, so they ended up in the chopped pile. They are built like a tank. They did not handle low freq eq well as I would have liked more sub bass.

Bern

Apr 10, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #670 of 737
Very, very good indeed.
How much did you pay for it? How will you describe the sound (FR)? Thanks!

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #671 of 737
I sold mine to a gentleman here on the forums. I agree with you on the implementation,,,I just wish the crossover freq was a tad lower. They were not getting much use, so they ended up in the chopped pile. They are built like a tank. They did not handle low freq eq well as I would have liked more sub bass.

Bern

I think the sub bass is really good from the middle setting up. But my reference sound are the HD800S so...
Can I ask you what replaced them?
I paid for them 100 €. Dirt cheap considering the quality of these headphones. I don't use closed backs very often but these are awesome for anything I've tried under 700€. Not that I've tried a lot, but I've tried Shure 1540, Focal Elegia (you may think I'm crazy, but I was very unimpressed), A2000Z, for example.
So, to me, for 100€ and considering I'll only use them home and occasionally, a great purchase.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #672 of 737
I realized I didn't answer to the second part of your post. The mids are very much like the HD6XX/650 and the treble is clear without any noticeable peaks in my short experience. Maybe I didn't try very harsh recordings, but the treble felt very real and comfortable for long sessions. Bear in mind I'm a bit treble sensitive (I have zero problems with my HD800S but I've had them with several Grados and Beyerdynamics like the Amiron Home and the DT880).
The bass... well, it depends on the setting. You can tell the sub bass has less energy than the upper bass, but in general I'd say the bass is well defined and it never ruined the mids, not even in the highest setting.
What I like about these headphones is how clear the signature feels. The treble gives it plenty of detail and enough air to give you a sense of openness, but it doesn't feel like a bright headphone at all.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #674 of 737
The AudioQuest NightHawk....I actually have 2 pair of those. The flagships are the Senn HD800, Sony MDR-Z1R, and the ZMF Aeolus. I use Sonarworks for the Senns.

Bern
I must be missing something everybody seems to love in Sonarworks. I've tried it with several headphones and I only felt it as an improvement with the Koss Portapros. That was a huge improvement, honestly. But with the HD800S they just didn't sound like anything I'd buy.
I really must be missing something there.
I checked now and the HD 630 VB is not in the Sonarworks headphone database. It hardly surprised me.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #675 of 737
I must be missing something everybody seems to love in Sonarworks. I've tried it with several headphones and I only felt it as an improvement with the Koss Portapros. That was a huge improvement, honestly. But with the HD800S they just didn't sound like anything I'd buy.
I really must be missing something there.
I checked now and the HD 630 VB is not in the Sonarworks headphone database. It hardly surprised me.
I've never heard the HD800S....but IMO Sonarworks did wonders for the HD800. And the HD800 handles EQ very well. I see your point though. I used to own the HD600, and it is basically a flat response headphone to begin with. Sonarworks didn't really make a difference. That was another headphone I liked, but wanted more on the lower end, and they did not EQ well there.

Bern

Users who are viewing this thread

Back