Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Mar 19, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #631 of 737
Well I took my chances and I have replaced the stock pads with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MFDT894/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20190315_153900526.jpg

IMG_20190315_154027721.jpg

I gotta say I have never replaced pads before this and I'm really impressed how much these improved the sound.

What my problems with stock pads that I wear glasses and those were not isolating the sound. And becasue of that bass was leaking and it had less impact. Sound was harsh too. I also have large long ears so I wanted pads that can cover my hole ears for better isolation.

When I replaced them with new brainwavz pads I really enjoyed how good the sound became. Bass was more impactfull and I could fell the sub bass much more. The harshness of the sound become much less too. They were covering my whole ears and isolating the sound really good. Pads are soft so didn't need the pad burn in too. They are good as soon as you put them on and much more comfartable. I'm really happy with these

They only have one downside as much as I can tell: They got hot too quickly. If you are living in a hot climate these are not for you.

I also want to say that if you have normal or small ears and don't wear glasses you might not get the improvement like I did.

You should note that I had to cut the back of the pads a little so they can fit to HD630VB.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #632 of 737
I don't want to make too much of this, but I just noticed that these are listed as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" on Amazon (though there is a separate listing as well). A quick Google search shows that they are also listed as discontinued on Moon Audio and Sonic Electronix. Of course, there have been similar rumors related to other Sennheiser headphones (I'm looking at you, post-660S 650) that don't seem to have panned out. I wonder . . .

Apr 26, 2019 at 7:13 PM Post #633 of 737
I don't want to make too much of this, but I just noticed that these are listed as "Discontinued by Manufacturer" on Amazon (though there is a separate listing as well). A quick Google search shows that they are also listed as discontinued on Moon Audio and Sonic Electronix. Of course, there have been similar rumors related to other Sennheiser headphones (I'm looking at you, post-660S 650) that don't seem to have panned out. I wonder . . .

Heck, I assumed they were discontinued a long time ago! Luckily I have a few pairs :wink:

I just put some sheepskin pads on my main pair. Mmmmm, sheepskin

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #635 of 737
Yeah, from an economic standpoint it probably would make sense, as these don't seem to have flown off the shelves. Perhaps the new Neumann headphone mentioned earlier is a handy way to clear up some of those spare parts lying around the factory.

I think if they updated it with a removable cord and maybe all black, they could release is as a Massdrop exclusive called the HD63XVB or HD630SE or something.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #636 of 737
I think if they updated it with a removable cord and maybe all black, they could release is as a Massdrop exclusive called the HD63XVB or HD630SE or something.
Looks like they teamed up with Neumann (high-end microphone brand) instead of Massdrop for that and called it the "Neumann NDH-20". Probably removed the variable bass circuitry as well.
All silver instead of black, too, like Neumann mics.

I hope they bothered to put acoustic damping inside the cups, unlike HD630.

Edit: derp, it was already brought up

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #637 of 737
Looks like they teamed up with Neumann (high-end microphone brand) instead of Massdrop for that and called it the "Neumann NDH-20". Probably removed the variable bass circuitry as well.
All silver instead of black, too, like Neumann mics.

I hope they bothered to put acoustic damping inside the cups, unlike HD630.

Well, the HD630 use sealed capsules (or modules), so damping in the cup wouldn’t really do anything.

May 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #638 of 737
There's room for it in the main driver chambers (or "sealed capsules"). Not hard to modify for the end user, though not as easy as most other dual-chambered closed back cans.
The secondary chamber mainly affects just bass in most cases, in my experience.

May 7, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #639 of 737
Are these worth it at u$s245? I live in Argentina and these are still avaliable through Sennheiser store (we have only one official store here)

I'm looking for a closed back to chill at home or sometimes take it for travel... I've already have the hd650 + OTL tube amp, a combo wich I love a lot (especially with mid centric music)
, but sometimes the laid back nature of it doesn't work so well for my edm music (don't get me wrong, I still like it), and sadly I live in a noisy neighborhood... so a closed back would be good some times. I don't expect it to be at the same level of the HD650 in sound quality, but considering that this was a u$s500 headphone when it was released, I hope that it doesn't sucks either. Anyway, I'm a little concerned because some people say that the mids are quite recessed and lacks clarity, but others say it is the other way around... How so? I know that for edm music is not "that" important, but I still want it to be an "all rounder" somehow.
I don't mind the fixed cable (I saw the replacement video).
For those who have it... the weight is bearable?
Low impedance and high sensitivity is welcome... does still scale with good sources?

Any insight will be appreciated :dt880smile:

PD: sorry for my english :triportsad:

May 11, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #640 of 737
It's better than HD380pro and HD25 to an extent, but not in the same league as HD600 and HD650.
Isolation is quite good if I remember correctly. A good source is definitely recommended if you can get one or have one, though it will not scale as much as HD650.

Going by the brief time that I spent with it, it is definitely an all-rounder headphone and then you can dial in more bass if you want.
Have you asked or searched in the recommendations forum for other options that can do most genres well including EDM?

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #641 of 737
It's better than HD380pro and HD25 to an extent, but not in the same league as HD600 and HD650.
Isolation is quite good if I remember correctly. A good source is definitely recommended if you can get one or have one, though it will not scale as much as HD650.

Going by the brief time that I spent with it, it is definitely an all-rounder headphone and then you can dial in more bass if you want.
Have you asked or searched in the recommendations forum for other options that can do most genres well including EDM?

Philips Fidelio X2/X2HR comes to mind as a perfect all-arounder for EDM

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #642 of 737
Has anyone noticed that the sound tuning changes with the source?

I was listening to the HD630VB using the FiiO A5 amp, and I noticed that the mids sounded very forward. However, when used with an ES100 1x or 2x mode) it doesn’t sound midrange forward.

I’ve had the FiiO A5 and it’s little brother the E12A Mont Blanc for a while now, and I have never known them to color the sound in any way. They both have similar architecture, and both use MUSES02 op amp. They were always very neutral amps IMO, but some claim the MUSES02 adds a touch of warmth to the bass.

Honestly, the HD630VB was the 1st headphone I ever heard a very noticeable difference on.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #643 of 737
Shame, sounds like this is a nice headphone, but not really on the radar for many so this thread is very quiet. That is the price for a robust marketplace with new offerings almost monthly it seems, things get relegated and forgotten very quickly.

Nov 2, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #644 of 737
Shame, sounds like this is a nice headphone, but not really on the radar for many so this thread is very quiet. That is the price for a robust marketplace with new offerings almost monthly it seems, things get relegated and forgotten very quickly.

It is a shame. It’s a great headphone that doesn’t get the love it deserves.

The bass dial works awesome, and has totally replaced the need for any EQ. When I listen to stuff that can benefit from a slight bass boost, like some classic rock or 80s, it’s right there on tap. When I switch to trance or EDM that already has a lot of sub bass and loudness dialed into the recording, I can dial the bass back to a desirable level.

I like the 630VB so much, I own 3 pairs. I did a removable jack mod on 2, and I’m planning to convert the 3rd one to balanced. I also plan to try out some nice sheepskin pads soon.

I wish it got more attention.

Nov 2, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #645 of 737
It is a shame. It’s a great headphone that doesn’t get the love it deserves.

The bass dial works awesome, and has totally replaced the need for any EQ. When I listen to stuff that can benefit from a slight bass boost, like some classic rock or 80s, it’s right there on tap. When I switch to trance or EDM that already has a lot of sub bass and loudness dialed into the recording, I can dial the bass back to a desirable level.

I like the 630VB so much, I own 3 pairs. I did a removable jack mod on 2, and I’m planning to convert the 3rd one to balanced. I also plan to try out some nice sheepskin pads soon.

I wish it got more attention.
Nice, I know that over the years since it's release I have paid attention to it, but never really needed a headphone like it as my stable was full. I would very much like to try it and I likely will. Nice to read that you enjoy the 630VB so much, multiple sets even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back