Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #4,126 of 23,451

Isn't it remarkable that "burn-in" almost always results in BETTER SQ?  Why don't components ever "burn-out"?  This alone seems to indicate to me that most of the phenomenom is simply adaptation.

madwolfa just replaced his drivers because they were worn out (a couple pages back). But it usually takes a long time before that happens.

It's been 10 years.. but I think I've just messed them up with a cleaning.

Sep 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #4,129 of 23,451
  Looking at getting a Aune T1, anyone used one of these with the 600's before that can comment?

Yeah, me looking for the same respond too... But what I read from headfonia, nowadays USB amp should have no problem powering HD600... Maybe you try first and share with us.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #4,130 of 23,451
If I do end up purchasing will definitely do a write up. The only other amp/source I have to compare with however is a Asus Essence STX so it will be fairly limited from a comparison standpoint. Have had about 15 minutes demoing a Fiio E07k/E17 combo as well though. From what I could gather the Fiio's were better than the STX, the sound was fuller and richer from what I could tell in those brief moments. 

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #4,131 of 23,451
  @Nowhere  What DAC are you using with the Crack?

Using the Odac with it... connected with a high quality RCA cable.
Not sure of the exact tubes included as the writing on them are smudged but i know the power tube is an rca of some sort.

I was told that the Odac would be fine as a neutral dac is preferred and unless you're going to around the 1k priced dacs that they don't make a huge difference between them compared to the difference the headphones and the amp make, That's just what i heard from a few people.. if it's true or not i don't know but as mentioned before it sounds amazing, Can't imagine it getting much better if i changed the dac to something a little pricier.

I might go ahead and try out something like the Music Streamer II+ just because i'm curious to see if it could possibly improve it, But it's more likely changing the tubes, headphones would make more of a difference than the dac on shifting the sonic experience i would imagine.

Keep in mind that i'm hardly an expert though. Far from it. haha. :D

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #4,133 of 23,451
+1 on ODAC to Crack. That's what I use too, it's exceptional with the Crack and 600's. I'm not a high-zoot tube guy, and have found bliss with a new Russian Tung-sol 6189 in the forward socket and a vintage 6AS7GA RCA in the rear.  Those tubes will set you back about $20 for the pair with excellent results.  I got the RCA's @ 3 for $30, so I'm probably set for life on tubes.

RonO

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #4,134 of 23,451
  +1 on ODAC to Crack. That's what I use too, it's exceptional with the Crack and 600's. I'm not a high-zoot tube guy, and have found bliss with a new Russian Tung-sol 6189 in the forward socket and a vintage 6AS7GA RCA in the rear.  Those tubes will set you back about $20 for the pair with excellent results.  I got the RCA's @ 3 for $30, so I'm probably set for life on tubes.

RonO

Indeed, it seems to go well together.
Today I finally spent alot of time with it, While I did settle into the sound experience more to where i wasn't completely mind blown any longer after first being exposed to it i was able to settle in and get used to the sonic experience a bit more and just relax and enjoy the sounds.
Basically it caused a reaction with me to start completely over with my music... starting fresh as if just started listening to music and going to listen to everything i can with this entirely new perspective in hearing the music this way.

Listened to mostly Monster Movie and Slowdive throughout the day going through most of their albums and it was a blissful experience.

I Haven't had the chance to listen to "harsher" sounds on it such as some of the grimier 90s rap, or the the heavier metal.. but as far as the dreamier, ethereal, smoother, chilled out sounds go it's heavenly.

Very fun to start over and build up new favorites and a new collection all over again!!!
Goes without saying, I highly recommend going for the crack/speedball with the hd600 if you one gets the chance and has the money to spare.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #4,135 of 23,451
My headphones sounded marvelous straight out of the box. Absolutely superb. Exactly what I wanted in every respect.
Sadly, after fifty hours, the sound changed a bit and I no longer like them. 
Is this the burn-in phenomenon I've heard so much about?

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #4,136 of 23,451
Looking at getting a Aune T1, anyone used one of these with the 600's before that can comment?

I have the T1 and am looking to upgrade from HD558s to 600s. According to the Aune T1 thread they work well together. http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2820#post_9799543

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #4,137 of 23,451
I have the T1 and am looking to upgrade from HD558s to 600s. According to the Aune T1 thread they work well together. http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-faq/2820#post_9799543

Thank you very much sir. I guess X1 should be fine for 600 too right?

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #4,138 of 23,451
Thank you very much sir. I guess X1 should be fine for 600 too right?

Unfortunately I don't know much about the x1 except what it says here: http://en.auneaudio.com/html/2011/X-Series_0831/10.html which would seem to be compatible with the 600.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:52 AM Post #4,139 of 23,451
Huzzah, I have the funds and the excuse to grab a pair of HD600s. My current pair of " gaming " headphones, such a bad purchase, is just about to die and I'll acquire HD600s some time soon. Though I'm a little confused on what I should pick up for an amp/DAC. I'm looking at around $200 total. I've seen good response from the M/M Schiit Stack, but I've also heard a whole bunch of childish rant from someone who sells O2+ODACs and seems like hes just trying to persuade me to buy his product. Any input on Amp/DAC combos that won't make my wallet cry?

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4,140 of 23,451
  Huzzah, I have the funds and the excuse to grab a pair of HD600s. My current pair of " gaming " headphones, such a bad purchase, is just about to die and I'll acquire HD600s some time soon. Though I'm a little confused on what I should pick up for an amp/DAC. I'm looking at around $200 total. I've seen good response from the M/M Schiit Stack, but I've also heard a whole bunch of childish rant from someone who sells O2+ODACs and seems like hes just trying to persuade me to buy his product. Any input on Amp/DAC combos that won't make my wallet cry?

i've had both, just going by my personal experience with it, keeping in mind i'm no expert so i try to not give advice as if i'm some expert and just give my personal feelings.

i bought the modi/magni combo as my first amp and i wasn't feeling it because i felt it was too bright, energetic, fast sounding... but at the time i had no real comparisons except basic non head-fi stuff.
with the o2/odac it was a little more to my styling i felt, it's very basic/neutral and seems to keep it to whatever music you're playing without anything even slightly added into it.

what i found is that i actually started to enjoy that with movies, tv... and sound observation due to the clarity and neutral reproduction and i found myself getting bored easier with my music listening, not that it was bad but in my personal experience there was something about 600/o2/odac together that made it too analytical to where it kind of fatigued me out at times and sucked a bit of the fun out of it.

i didn't feel like i gave the modi/magni a fair chance, since it was my first good amp setup and i didn't know what to expect or to compare to and i sent it back pretty fast but from what i remember of it was solid. just a little brightness/fast for my slower song taste.

one thing i hate about the o2 is that it doesn't have rca connectors and so you need to get a 3.5mm to rca, or straight up 3.5mm to 3.5mm, whereas i like to use rca to rca and all of the buttons/wires on the front can make it difficult to move around up there when messing with it  from all the wires and i like the magni's power switch over the o2's button that's hidden under my headphone wire and harder to get to, etc.

if i could go back and do it over and pick between them again, while i really liked the o2/odac combo for tv/movie listening the combo with the hd600 was just too analytical and i wasn't enjoying my music sessions as much as i should've been and fatigued, i think i would go with the modi/magi or perhaps the odac (with rca) and magni.
because, since my new set up sounds really great and it's using the odac which leads me to believe it was more of the o2 than the odac that was my issue.

that's just 1 non expert's opinion, however... i'd try to get a few people's opinions. over in the amp section of the forum there's a long thread with discussion about this very thing. i'm too tired to go find it and link it lol but it's over there as soemthing "o2/odac vs modi/magni comparison".

you can usually find good deals in the used section of the forum if you're looking to save money by the way.

anyway, i wish you well in your journey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back