Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3,946 of 23,456
My HD600's came in today! I only got about an hour with them, but wow. 'Natural' really is the best word that comes to mind to describe how they strike me. Nothing seems boosted or cut; every instrument appears to come through as it would sound in the room with you. I can see how those in search of a more 'exciting' or 'enhanced' sound might be turned off by this, but for me they are perfect. I am currently running them through a HeadPod 4 from my MBox 3 Pro. I am sure there are better setups out there for the HD600, and I hope to experiment with some different amps down the road, but for now everything is coming through clean and believable, so that (as others have pointed out) I might just now be able to listen to the music rather than headphones. 

Thanks to everyone on this thread who helped to push me over the edge! 

I can't wait to put them on again tomorrow 
beyersmile.png

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #3,947 of 23,456
Quote:
just picked up a Rega RP3 turntable, and I am listening with my HD600s.  I honestly couldn't be happier right now

I just got my HD600's and am listening to my Rega RP1 with them; I'm in the same boat as you! Did you have the RP1 before you got the RP3? Now that I have these amazing headphones I want to either upgrade my cartridge or possibly my table. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #3,948 of 23,456
Quote:

I just got my HD600's and am listening to my Rega RP1 with them; I'm in the same boat as you! Did you have the RP1 before you got the RP3? Now that I have these amazing headphones I want to either upgrade my cartridge or possibly my table. 

I went straight to the RP3. There is an audio shop in Dallas that loves Rega products.  I went one day wanting to check out record players, and they demonstrated each of the RP1, the RP1 with the service pack, and the RP3.  After hearing the RP3, I knew that I was going straight to the high end.  So I started saving my pennies

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #3,950 of 23,456
Here is a sucky rumor: I talked to a guy who know a guy at Amazon who says that they Amazon fired Sennheiser and would only take Sennheiser back if Sennheiser got rid of a lot of there small dealers...like Razordogaudio! I know Razordog has become the go to place on this thread (and this forum?) to get Sennheiser products. I sure hope there is some mistake here. Razordogaudio has been my go to site, whether on ebay or now through their site, for years. If this is true, makes me want to swear off both Sennheiser and Amazon! No way to treat the little guys at all! 

Why am I posting this? Because if its true, Sennheiser deserves to hear from us. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #3,954 of 23,456
Yeah definitely, if we are talking "smooth" the HD650 wins! Now the HD600 may be more "neutral" but that is just an opinion as well. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #3,955 of 23,456
Hey everyone! Just thought I'd drop in and share a custom HD600 that I just completed (I think). Not sure if I'm going to do any more work to them or not.

Like some people, the paint on my HD600's started to chip and flake. So I took it to the next level and sanded it all down and used a matte-black sparkle finish and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out (I am usually artistically challenged...)

Feel free to comment and provide any suggestions. I will probably leave the headband alone because I'm afraid of making that look terrible. But I might use a gloss finish over the black but I have not decided yet. Enjoy!
atsmile.gif
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #3,956 of 23,456
Looks great man!

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #3,958 of 23,456
So after two weeks of using my new HD600s, I finally decided to post here. These are my first real pair of over 50 headphones, and it may just be that I have never tried anything even near this price range (except beats... They were better than my headphones at the time but I don't think I can listen to them after getting these headphones) but at the very start I was actually underwhelmed.

"Well okay, this is what 400 sounds like? They're good but I don't think they're that amazing", I said to myself.

I listened to them for two days and I was very "wowed by it" (perhaps this has to do with break in).

after a week week I started noticing that I am noticing the many details I've missed over my years of listening to music. "So this is how a bass (the instrument. I've never really heard one in real life) actually sounds like", I would note. I never really was able to separate music like this before. And now I'm throwing everything I can find in my playlist at these headphones and finding little intricacies I've never caught before. It feels like I was missing way too much in the past. I'm not really listening to them with an amazing DAC/AMP, but I'm using a fiio e17 and I'm assuming these could scale even better with better gear. Now that I've gotten a taste of what audiophiles enjoy, I worry for my wallet in the future. I'm already looking at closed headphones/IEM's for listening to outside. Damn this website and reddit's /r/headphones for pointing me towards this. My wallet will never forgive me.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #3,959 of 23,456
Quote:
So after two weeks of using my new HD600s, I finally decided to post here. These are my first real pair of over 50 headphones, and it may just be that I have never tried anything even near this price range (except beats... They were better than my headphones at the time but I don't think I can listen to them after getting these headphones) but at the very start I was actually underwhelmed.

"Well okay, this is what 400 sounds like? They're good but I don't think they're that amazing", I said to myself.

I listened to them for two days and I was very "wowed by it" (perhaps this has to do with break in).

after a week week I started noticing that I am noticing the many details I've missed over my years of listening to music. "So this is how a bass (the instrument. I've never really heard one in real life) actually sounds like", I would note. I never really was able to separate music like this before. And now I'm throwing everything I can find in my playlist at these headphones and finding little intricacies I've never caught before. It feels like I was missing way too much in the past. I'm not really listening to them with an amazing DAC/AMP, but I'm using a fiio e17 and I'm assuming these could scale even better with better gear. Now that I've gotten a taste of what audiophiles enjoy, I worry for my wallet in the future. I'm already looking at closed headphones/IEM's for listening to outside. Damn this website and reddit's /r/headphones for pointing me towards this. My wallet will never forgive me.

Welcome to Head-Fi and yeah your wallet is going to take a beating.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,960 of 23,456
I love my HD 600 but I was wondering if there is anything out there that is a worthwhile upgrade, while still being a great value. I looked at the Q701 and DT990 but those seem more like a side step, or even a step down. Has anyone upgraded to something that they feel is a significant improvement in sound and value?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back