Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #3,931 of 23,499
Quote:

I use the PA2V2 (my only portable amp) with either a Coby MP823, or a Samsung Corby-Pro phone.  File format is MP3 (some 320 kbps, some less) and WMA (medium-high quality).  I know, pretty embarrassing.

Normally I would set the source's volume to 70% when listening to easier cans (HD-418, MDR-V6).  With the HD-600 I do have to crank the source up to 100%.

I've played with the gain screws in the PA2V2 but eventually turned them back down to factory-set level, maybe slightly higher.  Around 1 or 2 o'clock on the knob gives me a comfortable volume.

A couple hypotheses on why you're not getting good results:

- You may be wanting more volume than is possible with this amp.  I like to be able to listen to music for hours and hours without tiring my 45-year-old ears... Then again, I sometimes go loud if the music demands it (e.g. Verdi Requiem or Led Zeppelin) so I have pushed it to my own ear's limits without any issues.  But you don't have my ears, so...
confused.gif

- Batteries.  I know the LED is supposed to tell you when they're dead, but distorsion may be a sign that they need a recharge.  I experienced this once listening to Sheryl Crow at a very medium volume - there was a lot more Crow than Sheryl in those vocals, if you know what I mean.  After a night's charge the problem was gone.  Also, you are using 1.2V rechargeables, right?

I use freshly charged 1.2V NiMH.  The amp will blow your brains out with the HD25's.  Just not enough power to properly run the 600.  

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,932 of 23,499
For that kind of money, I would prefer a seller who takes the time & effort to spell correctly! 

[size=medium]Caution: Headphones can damage hearing at high levels. Please make shure you attenuate your source signal adequately [/size][size=medium]before sending to this headphone amplifier.[/size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,936 of 23,499
just picked up a Rega RP3 turntable, and I am listening with my HD600s.  I honestly couldn't be happier right now

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3,937 of 23,499
Quote:
just picked up a Rega RP3 turntable, and I am listening with my HD600s.  I honestly couldn't be happier right now

I am new to the headphone world and use a turntable and phono preamp as my source. Compared to a cd player is night and day. I have not used a dac with a computer source at this point but I think I would like to try it. With a tt the dynamic range is much greater in my experience. I am using the 600's also with a Woo wa6se and the experience is wonderful. I just purchased a pair of Bayer t1's and have not received them yet. I am looking forward to comparing. The 600's are not fatiguing and I cannot imagine the t1's being better in that regard. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3,938 of 23,499
what turntable are you using?  i just upgraded from a sony that i found new at a half priced books.  The T1 was the first high end headphone that I ever tried and was very impressed.  I've heard several headphones since.  I was considering upgrading to a T1, but I didn't think that they were $1000 better than the HD600.  I still think that they are great headphones, but I decided to upgrade my source instead

Aug 24, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,939 of 23,499
Quote:
what turntable are you using?  i just upgraded from a sony that i found new at a half priced books.  The T1 was the first high end headphone that I ever tried and was very impressed.  I've heard several headphones since.  I was considering upgrading to a T1, but I didn't think that they were $1000 better than the HD600.  I still think that they are great headphones, but I decided to upgrade my source instead

I am using a Technics SP10 mkll with a micro seike 505 arm and a Music Reference rm4+ phono stage. I just sold my speaker system save the analog section after 40 years of listening. Headphones have really opened a new adventure for me. Different but rewarding. I never have been a digital fan but it looks like I am going to look into it. I went to the audio show in San Francisco and was much more impressed with the headphones than the speaker systems except for the wilson audio set up and that was to die for.
I am going to the RMAF in October and looking forward to learning more about this part of the audiophile world. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,942 of 23,499
I enjoy my turntable very much, but most of my listening is of my CD collection ripped to FLAC and streamed via wi-fi to my Squeezebox Touch. 90+ dB dynamic range is easily achieved by this method, though I doubt if many of my recordings possess that much. My Telarc recordings of Tchaikovski's 1812 Overture and Saint Saens "Organ Symphony" just might.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3,943 of 23,499
I guess it's quite good, but I find it strangely grating in a subliminal way. I can't listen to almost anything for an extended period of time. Audio pleasure inevitably sounds like it is a nuisance with relatively low tolerance, but without obvious reason. I think the reason is most likely that the highs are slightly darkened, and that the low sounds of the headphone, as balanced with the overall rolled-off and dark sound, though they are technically linear, have an obtruding effect on the psyche, even if they are tame. I don't need to mention that "I don't notice anything of that kind" has no effect on my listening experience. Using the ODAC.

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3,945 of 23,499
Ive really enjoyed demo-ing the HD 600s the past few weeks...I keep trying out other phones,yet I keep coming back to the 600s...IMO the best phone for the price available.However today I tried them out with the Alo Continental portable tube amp(not sure what version they were) and was really impressed.The Alo brought out midbass responses in songs that I hadnt heard when coupled with other portable amps.

If you can find an Alo continental,give it a try with your 600s and see what you think.

When money allows it im getting a pair of 600s,a pair of T1s,the ALO Continental(unless I can find a HiFi M8 first) and then a good amp for the T1's.....pretty good start to my hifi hobby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back