Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #3,917 of 23,499
Because austerity and a $70,000 amp go hand in hand
rolleyes.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #3,922 of 23,499
Got my HD600s in today, a step up from the HD-25-II that I've owned for a couple of years now.  

Unfortunately, I cannot yet power this thing as I only have a portable PA2V2.  Listening at low levels is all I can do at this point until my Magni comes in next week.  At volumes I normally listen to the audio goes to crap.  I hope the Magni has enough juice to power this thing and what I've read is it does.  And yes, I've played with the gain knobs inside the PA2V2.  It just simply can't do it, though it is great with the HD-25-II.

Silver lining: A week of break-in until the new amp gets in might be just about perfect timing!  A replacement HD650 cord should arrive by then too.

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #3,924 of 23,499
Quote:
Got my HD600s in today, a step up from the HD-25-II that I've owned for a couple of years now.  

Unfortunately, I cannot yet power this thing as I only have a portable PA2V2.  Listening at low levels is all I can do at this point until my Magni comes in next week.  At volumes I normally listen to the audio goes to crap.  I hope the Magni has enough juice to power this thing and what I've read is it does.  And yes, I've played with the gain knobs inside the PA2V2.  It just simply can't do it, though it is great with the HD-25-II.

Silver lining: A week of break-in until the new amp gets in might be just about perfect timing!  A replacement HD650 cord should arrive by then too.

Strange... I have no problem driving my HD-600's with the PA2V2.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,925 of 23,499
If you can drive em with your PA2V2, I must be doing something wrong.  I think I've tried every gain position on the amp / computer volume combination.  My system is foobar2k (wasapi event) --> music streamer ii --> PA2V2  --> HD600.  I listen to FLAC exclusively, many at 24/96.  I've tried running the amp w/ the power adapter vs. batteries.

Can you please elaborate as to how you are able to drive these without clipping?  Sounds like ass compared to my 25's.  I know these cans are screaming for more power.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3,926 of 23,499
Strange... I have no problem driving my HD-600's with the PA2V2.

I could drive mine satisfactorily from my iPhone 4, though it was at close to max volume.

@b0xii, try plugging the hd600 directly into your computer and listening to your normal volumes. If it doesn't distort, maybe the issue is the amp or dac

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,927 of 23,499
I apologize if this was recently addressed but I searched this thread and found nothing so here goes. I just received my first pair of 600's and I must say after having only my balanced Senn IE8's and my Protector it is a very pleasant change to say the least. I want to convert my 600's into balanced headphones and am wondering what the cheapest way to do it is. Does the original single ended cable have four wires that run the entire length of the cable, if not how far down do the 4 wires run before the negative wires converge (come together)? I don't need a very long cable only 4 feet or so. I have the kobiconn connectors on order that plug into the protector. I really don't want to modify my TWag cable that I got for the IE8's but realize the 600's would probably benefit much more balanced. Your suggestions would be great.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #3,928 of 23,499
Quote:
I could drive mine satisfactorily from my iPhone 4, though it was at close to max volume.

@b0xii, try plugging the hd600 directly into your computer and listening to your normal volumes. If it doesn't distort, maybe the issue is the amp or dac

No distortion, but doesn't reach a high volume.  I can get a bit more volume before distortion using the little amp, but nowhere near what I get using HD25 loud and clear.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #3,929 of 23,499
That's to be expected based on the impedance and sensitivity of the HD-25 vs the HD600. My iBass D-Zero portable amp has distortion but only when its on high gain and the volume is above 80% or so, so headphones that require that much gain and volume aren't a great match for it. The PA2V2 might be similar.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3,930 of 23,499
Quote:
If you can drive em with your PA2V2, I must be doing something wrong.  I think I've tried every gain position on the amp / computer volume combination.  My system is foobar2k (wasapi event) --> music streamer ii --> PA2V2  --> HD600.  I listen to FLAC exclusively, many at 24/96.  I've tried running the amp w/ the power adapter vs. batteries.

Can you please elaborate as to how you are able to drive these without clipping?  Sounds like ass compared to my 25's.  I know these cans are screaming for more power.

I use the PA2V2 (my only portable amp) with either a Coby MP823, or a Samsung Corby-Pro phone.  File format is MP3 (some 320 kbps, some less) and WMA (medium-high quality).  I know, pretty embarrassing.

Normally I would set the source's volume to 70% when listening to easier cans (HD-418, MDR-V6).  With the HD-600 I do have to crank the source up to 100%.

I've played with the gain screws in the PA2V2 but eventually turned them back down to factory-set level, maybe slightly higher.  Around 1 or 2 o'clock on the knob gives me a comfortable volume.

A couple hypotheses on why you're not getting good results:

- You may be wanting more volume than is possible with this amp.  I like to be able to listen to music for hours and hours without tiring my 45-year-old ears... Then again, I sometimes go loud if the music demands it (e.g. Verdi Requiem or Led Zeppelin) so I have pushed it to my own ear's limits without any issues.  But you don't have my ears, so...
confused.gif

- Batteries.  I know the LED is supposed to tell you when they're dead, but distorsion may be a sign that they need a recharge.  I experienced this once listening to Sheryl Crow at a very medium volume - there was a lot more Crow than Sheryl in those vocals, if you know what I mean.  After a night's charge the problem was gone.  Also, you are using 1.2V rechargeables, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back