Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #3,646 of 23,427
Quote:
Well that's exactly how I feel, if you want to "upgrade" from the hd600 you have to spend a ton more money. I'd also say the hd600/k701 are the drop off point where you can get away using an amp/dac >$200. I guess O2 and Odac works okay with the lcd 2 but you will still be spending an extra $550 more than the hd600s if you get a good deal.

Agreed.  I think that explains the longevity of the HD600.  From what I've listened to, a true significant upgrade requires a (minimum) $600 to $700 purchase, and higher.  Since you can now easily buy brand new 600's at around $320 to $350, that still defines value to me, not to mention wonderful sound across all genres.

Jul 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #3,647 of 23,427
Quote:

Agreed.  I think that explains the longevity of the HD600.  From what I've listened to, a true significant upgrade requires a (minimum) $600 to $700 purchase, and higher.  Since you can now easily buy brand new 600's at around $320 to $350, that still defines value to me, not to mention wonderful sound across all genres.

I personally think you have to go higher than that. I had the chance to listen to the HD800 last month.

While it was indeed better than the HD600, it only improved on it in certain areas, and not by enough to make me want to drop that much money on it. I don't really feel like the HD800 is the true upgrade path from the HD600. 

Actually, nothing at the meet impressed me enough to want to ditch the HD600....except for the SR-009. I started a savings account for one instantly. Well, not really. But you get the idea.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3,648 of 23,427
Quote:

I personally think you have to go higher than that. I had the chance to listen to the HD800 last month.

While it was indeed better than the HD600, it only improved on it in certain areas, and not by enough to make me want to drop that much money on it. I don't really feel like the HD800 is the true upgrade path from the HD600. 

Actually, nothing at the meet impressed me enough to want to ditch the HD600....except for the SR-009. I started a savings account for one instantly. Well, not really. But you get the idea.

What source were you using with the HD800?  The only time I've ever got to listen to the HD800 was at a meet for like 10 minutes with sennheisers HDVD800 which was made for the 800 especially.  I thought they sounded a ton better in everyway( although I didn't hear any bassy songs) wish I had more time with em, although I would much rather upgrade to LCD2s.  I could see the HD800s being meh if they weren't driven by an as expensive amp/dac.

Jul 27, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #3,649 of 23,427
What source were you using with the HD800?  The only time I've ever got to listen to the HD800 was at a meet for like 10 minutes with sennheisers HDVD800 which was made for the 800 especially.  I thought they sounded a ton better in everyway( although I didn't hear any bassy songs) wish I had more time with em, although I would much rather upgrade to LCD2s.  I could see the HD800s being meh if they weren't driven by an as expensive amp/dac.

It was driven by the decaware csp2 (I think that's what it was), and a cavalli amp.

This was from my perspective as a hd600 owner.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #3,650 of 23,427
Quote:
It was driven by the decaware csp2 (I think that's what it was), and a cavalli amp.

This was from my perspective as a hd600 owner.

if you're referring to the Dallas meet, it was the CSP2+.  The Cavalli was the Liquid Glass.  I tried the 800's with the Decware, but not the Cavalli.  I did try my 600's with the Cavalli, and I cannot recommend it enough.  I only listened to the 800's with the Decware for a short time, but I thought that it was a good match.  I still don't think that it was enough of a difference to make me want to upgrade.  I just enjoy my 600's too much right now

Jul 28, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #3,651 of 23,427
Quote:
if you're referring to the Dallas meet, it was the CSP2+.  The Cavalli was the Liquid Glass.  I tried the 800's with the Decware, but not the Cavalli.  I did try my 600's with the Cavalli, and I cannot recommend it enough.  I only listened to the 800's with the Decware for a short time, but I thought that it was a good match.  I still don't think that it was enough of a difference to make me want to upgrade.  I just enjoy my 600's too much right now

It most certainly was.

And x2

Jul 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #3,653 of 23,427
I bought mine used off of Ebay and have had no issues with them at all.  From what I see on this thread, the cushions are probably the only thing you will need to replace.  

That being said, the nice thing about the HD600 is that every major component of it (grill, driver, headband, pads, cable) are user-replacable..

Quote:
How long are the HD 600s supposed to last, generally? Anyone have experience of them failing?

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #3,654 of 23,427
Right, I know some people have complained about the build quality, but for me so far only the cushions have shown wear. And I almost forgot about the modular design. Just wanted to confirm people didn't have problems of the driver suddenly failing or anything like that.

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,655 of 23,427
Quote:
How long are the HD 600s supposed to last, generally? Anyone have experience of them failing?

Yeah I'm about to purchase the hd 600 new and I'm also worried that they will break. Because I heard that the headband snaps after a few years of just normal wear and I've a fairly large head so that will sadly just make the situation worse...

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #3,656 of 23,427
Quote:
Yeah I'm about to purchase the hd 600 new and I'm also worried that they will break. Because I heard that the headband snaps after a few years of just normal wear and I've a fairly large head so that will sadly just make the situation worse...

I have had mine for over 10 years and the headband hasn's snapped yet!! Wear a 7 1/2 hat so I dont have a small head by any means.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #3,657 of 23,427
Quote:

The HD600 is a modular headphone and all parts are replaceable. I would just factor in the cost of a replacement headband in the total cost of ownership of the headphone spread over lets say 10 years and see if it is still reasonable. They come with a 2 year warranty anyway and if they last past that period then usually they should last quite a bit longer. You can also try to scour ebay for some broken hd600s, if they have blown drivers you can still reuse other parts.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #3,658 of 23,427
I own a hd600 as well, got it as a very sweet deal, change out the headband form, and ear pad as well, remove all the form around the driver, voila like brand new. I suspect mine also have around  8 yrs old, never fail on me even sometimes I use it as speakers for my pc (ie. turn my amp vol to max). that's the build quality of the old set, not sure of the newer HD600.

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #3,659 of 23,427

I got the HD600s not too long ago and am amazed at the timbre.. but this has been bugging me for a while, the drums from 1:34 to 1:38 in this song sounds weird to me. Especially in higher quality

Jul 28, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #3,660 of 23,427
Quote:
I have had mine for over 10 years and the headband hasn's snapped yet!! Wear a 7 1/2 hat so I dont have a small head by any means.

Well I measured my head just now with a piece of string and after measuring the string my head size is 26 inches. And according to this website http://www.villagehatshop.com/head_size.html there isn't even a measurement for that big of a head. From the site http://www.bighatstore.com/hat_sizes.php apparently I'm an 8 1/4.......

Never mind I'm an idiot I remeasured it with an actual measuring tape and it was 60 cms so I'm the same as you than!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back