Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #2,821 of 23,433
No cable in the world replaces an equipment upgrade. Cables should be the last tweak when your rig is done. Ok, rigs are never done 
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,822 of 23,433
I finally got my money back for some defective IEMs that I've been trying to get resolved for a while now.  Between that and some other money banked, I'm just about ready for a desktop amp for my 600s.  Strongly leaning toward the Asgard 2, but waiting to hear feedback on the next run of them.  I'm not going to spend more that that right now.  Of course that will make me want to add a DAC shortly after.  Damn wallet hates me.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,825 of 23,433
I had the A2 but sent it back due to transformer hum.  Despite that, it was a bloody good sounding amp.  I wholeheartedly recommend it if they get the hum under control.

Quote:
I finally got my money back for some defective IEMs that I've been trying to get resolved for a while now.  Between that and some other money banked, I'm just about ready for a desktop amp for my 600s.  Strongly leaning toward the Asgard 2, but waiting to hear feedback on the next run of them.  I'm not going to spend more that that right now.  Of course that will make me want to add a DAC shortly after.  Damn wallet hates me.  

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #2,826 of 23,433
I pretty much talked myself into buying the A2.  I'm sure they'll have the hum sorted out.  It looks like what I'm looking for.  More than enough power for my high impedance cans.  The 600s sound great while driven out of my Yamaha receivers, but I just want a dedicated HP amp. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,827 of 23,433
Last summer I purchased an Akg Q701 as my first high end headphone. Also got an Odac & O2 amp around the same time. Although technically a great headphone I just feel like I'm not enjoying the music as much as I should be. Where do I go from here. Are there any disappointed q701 owners here who made the transition to the hd600 and never looked back.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #2,828 of 23,433
I have a Yamaha receiver.  The Asgard is a noticeable upgrade from that.  You will be happy, I'm sure.

Quote:
I pretty much talked myself into buying the A2.  I'm sure they'll have the hum sorted out.  It looks like what I'm looking for.  More than enough power for my high impedance cans.  The 600s sound great while driven out of my Yamaha receivers, but I just want a dedicated HP amp. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,829 of 23,433
Quote:
Last summer I purchased an Akg Q701 as my first high end headphone. Also got an Odac & O2 amp around the same time. Although technically a great headphone I just feel like I'm not enjoying the music as much as I should be. Where do I go from here. Are there any disappointed q701 owners here who made the transition to the hd600 and never looked back.

The Q701s were my first high end cans as well.  I bought them with a FiiO e9/e7 at the same time.  I listen to a ton of different music and they just didn't work with all the genres I listen to.  Classic rock and Jazz sounded amazing through them but electronic and rap/hip hop was awful through them.  Probably 2 months later I switched to the HD600s and they meet my needs much better.  A little bit of modding can make them just as good as the Q701s for certain genres but they have enough bass to make electronic and hip hop stuff still sound good.  I've had the Hd600s for probably around 7 months now and I haven't considered sidegrading cans since then.  Next thing to upgrade is my amp and dac.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,830 of 23,433
I'm probably going to end up getting a pair of HD600s this month =D I had initially settled on saving up for something really high end like a pair of HE-500 or LCD2, but I've got start saving for a deposit to move into my own flat first, so I've reverted back to my original dream pair from last year =P

I know this probably gets asked on a regular basis, but what would you guys recommend for a good quality, low price amp to drive these cans? I'm looking to spend a max of £100/$150 since this rig is only intended to be a stopgap for the next few months until I'm in my own place. The first options that sprang to mind for me were the Schiit Magni, the O2, or the FiiO E09k (I currently have the E17 which will be the DAC in the chain, so the docking mechanism is quite convenient), I've also come across a retailer selling the Audio Technica ATH-A20 which looks promising but I've never heard anything about it.  Any thoughts on those options, or if you guys have any other pairings you think are better please let me know. As for sound preferences I definitely want neutrality.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #2,831 of 23,433
Quote:
I'm probably going to end up getting a pair of HD600s this month =D I had initially settled on saving up for something really high end like a pair of HE-500 or LCD2, but I've got start saving for a deposit to move into my own flat first, so I've reverted back to my original dream pair from last year =P

I know this probably gets asked on a regular basis, but what would you guys recommend for a good quality, low price amp to drive these cans? I'm looking to spend a max of £100/$150 since this rig is only intended to be a stopgap for the next few months until I'm in my own place. The first options that sprang to mind for me were the Schiit Magni, the O2, or the FiiO E09k (I currently have the E17 which will be the DAC in the chain, so the docking mechanism is quite convenient), I've also come across a retailer selling the Audio Technica ATH-A20 which looks promising but I've never heard anything about it.  Any thoughts on those options, or if you guys have any other pairings you think are better please let me know. As for sound preferences I definitely want neutrality.

Cheers

The Magni, O2 and E09K will all do fine. Personally, I'd prefer the E09K, if its only for the HD600. If you're going to use a multiple of lower impedance phones/iems, I'd choose the O2. It's also transportable, which can be nice. But I think the E09K is a tremendous amp.. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #2,832 of 23,433
Quote:

The Magni, O2 and E09K will all do fine. Personally, I'd prefer the E09K, if its only for the HD600. If you're going to use a multiple of lower impedance phones/iems, I'd choose the O2. It's also transportable, which can be nice. But I think the E09K is a tremendous amp.. 

Thanks for the input. Yeah the HD600s will take over all home listening duties so my portable pairs will all be used with other gear.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,833 of 23,433
Despite the specs, the HD600s are pretty easy to drive.  Saying that, though, they definitely do scale with amping.  Quite remarkably if you ask me.

Quote:

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #2,834 of 23,433
Thanks for the reply to my query. Given me another reason to try the HD600s.

a
The Q701s were my first high end cans as well.  I bought them with a FiiO e9/e7 at the same time.  I listen to a ton of different music and they just didn't work with all the genres I listen to.  Classic rock and Jazz sounded amazing through them but electronic and rap/hip hop was awful through them.  Probably 2 months later I switched to the HD600s and they meet my needs much better.  A little bit of modding can make them just as good as the Q701s for certain genres but they have enough bass to make electronic and hip hop stuff still sound good.  I've had the Hd600s for probably around 7 months now and I haven't considered sidegrading cans since then.  Next thing to upgrade is my amp and dac.
[/quo

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #2,835 of 23,433
Quote:
Despite the specs, the HD600s are pretty easy to drive.  Saying that, though, they definitely do scale with amping.  Quite remarkably if you ask me.

My Jadis confirms this. I toyed with the idea of playing my phones out of a speaker amp for a while. I had a go at it with a Luxman and then with a Jadis. Brilliant soundstage and the fullest sound and tight bass ever out of any dedicated headphone amp I had tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back