Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,807 of 23,454
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."

Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?

, I think it speeded the process up, they'd leave them running overnight and that was all it generally took.

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,808 of 23,454
Quote:
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."

Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?

Given it's the retailer (at the store) breaking in the mechanical parts, wiring them out of phase has almost nothing to do with improving/speeding up the break-in process, but just so they can play it close to normal levels while having the sound cancel each other out, which is great if your store shares the building with other businesses (also why there's a blanket over them). I don't think they can really crank it up though, given the cancellation doesn't mean total silence. For one, if a fire breaks out and people report that music is playing, they might assume someone is in there and attempt a rescue. (Of course, one may argue maybe they can reduce the fire risk further by not leaving electronics running unattended...)

Basically "religious" there means they do all this for convenience, not because it magically helps in the process of breaking in the moving parts.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #2,809 of 23,454
Received my Magni/Modi stack today. The HD600s sound great through them! One thing that I immediately noticed was how much more punchy the bass has become.

It's a nice step up from my previous amp (Fiio E7), which I might list for sale soon.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #2,810 of 23,454
My Bottlehead Crack-kit shipped yesterday.  Super excited to assemble &  compare to my current amp (X-CANS) with the HD600. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #2,811 of 23,454
Quote:
My Bottlehead Crack-kit shipped yesterday.  Super excited to assemble &  compare to my current amp (X-CANS) with the HD600. 

How long did it take to ship since ordering?

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #2,812 of 23,454
Wow guys, I know I've mentioned it once before but these HD600s are crazy versatile. I've got an EQ that I use when I'm listening to "bassy" music like The xx which I'm listening to now (I'm using Electri-Q btw, with foobar2000) and I've got the bass EQ'd up 5+ db and the result is nothing short of awe inspiring. No distortion, no loss of tonal accuracy, just a sickening amount of beautiful thumping bass. Obviously it slightly drowns out the mids at times but less than I thought it would and for most of my bassy/electronic music the presence and fullness of the mids is still more than adequate. Its amazing. Who needs multiple different cans when you've got the HD600 and a good EQ? No one. Of course that won't stop me from buying more headphones, you know, just for the fun of it. :D

Mar 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,813 of 23,454
Quote:
How long did it take to ship since ordering?

It took a bit; I placed my order on Feb 11th and they shipped on 3/27.  I consider the wait-time a small price to pay for Bottlehead's awesome customer service and the great community-support.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,814 of 23,454
Not sure where in this thread I found this but someone on here was talking about the deal on these cans from razordog, $399 + $100 off coupon.  well I went there and checked it out and it still works, so I got these great headphone for $299 + free shipping to USA.  wanted to say thanks to whom ever for the info saved me enough that I could justify buying these new, the best used price I could find was $275.  I have been out of the audio game for a while, used to be a DJ back in the *cough* *couch 80's (yes I am "older"). 

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2,816 of 23,454
Quote:
Not sure where in this thread I found this but someone on here was talking about the deal on these cans from razordog, $399 + $100 off coupon.  well I went there and checked it out and it still works, so I got these great headphone for $299 + free shipping to USA.  wanted to say thanks to whom ever for the info saved me enough that I could justify buying these new, the best used price I could find was $275.  I have been out of the audio game for a while, used to be a DJ back in the *cough* *couch 80's (yes I am "older"). 

Welcome....now you just need a good upgrade cable....DHC Peptide Hybrid will really make them sing!

Recommended highly!

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #2,817 of 23,454
Quote:
Quote:

Welcome....now you just need a good upgrade cable....DHC Peptide Hybrid will really make them sing!

Recommended highly!

Sigh. Does it make the 600s sound twice as good? If not I don't think it makes sense to recommend that to someone who had a hard time justifying the cost of the 600s in the first place.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #2,818 of 23,454
Quote:

Welcome to Headfi Scottie... quite a few vintage members around 
size]

Congrats on the good deal. Enjoy your music!

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #2,819 of 23,454
Quote:

Sigh. Does it make the 600s sound twice as good? If not I don't think it makes sense to recommend that to someone who had a hard time justifying the cost of the 600s in the first place.

Sorry, didn't mean to put a teaser in your head....glad you got the HD600's and enjoy them.  Maybe in the future you will find that a cable upgrade improves the sound.  Since I got the Peptide Hybrid, I haven't changed the cable, it is that good.  I have about eight other Senn cables for these, and this beats them all....Cardas, Toxic Cable, Headphone Lounge pure silver, Mogami W2893, DHC Nucleotide, DHC Peptide, IMO cables/wire makes a difference!  I also have the HD580's.....I look at the cable/wire as another component, although not everyone will agree.  I also have a very good DAC and tube amplifier, which scales the HD600 higher than most!  You have a good start getting the HD600, very neutral sound, and there are ways to get more out of them, when the time comes.

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #2,820 of 23,454
Quote:

Sorry, didn't mean to put a teaser in your head....glad you got the HD600's and enjoy them.  Maybe in the future you will find that a cable upgrade improves the sound.  Since I got the Peptide Hybrid, I haven't changed the cable, it is that good.  I have about eight other Senn cables for these, and this beats them all....Cardas, Toxic Cable, Headphone Lounge pure silver, Mogami W2893, DHC Nucleotide, DHC Peptide, IMO cables/wire makes a difference!  I also have the HD580's.....I look at the cable/wire as another component, although not everyone will agree.  I also have a very good DAC and tube amplifier, which scales the HD600 higher than most!  You have a good start getting the HD600, very neutral sound, and there are ways to get more out of them, when the time comes.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to sound rude. Thanks for not freaking out about the whole cable debate. :) And I was talking about scottie4442 not myself. He mentioned that he finally was able to justify getting the 600s when he found them for $300 so I doubt he's in a position to drop another $250+ on a cable. That's all I was saying. Personally I can afford aftermarket cables but after everything I've read I've decided I will likely get a lot more improvement out of an upgrade to a high-end DAC (to replace my HRT MS2). That will probably be my next purchase as far as getting more out of my existing cans. After that I will probably get a tube amp, maybe the WA6SE. Cables will be the last thing I buy and there's a 90% chance that it will never happen. There's too many other things I'd rather spend $300 on. If I was really interested in it I would probably make my own. But to each his own. I'm glad you've found cables that you like. Maybe one day I can manage to demo the DHC one you mentioned.

Happy listenin'. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back