Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #2,791 of 23,456
Well I'm about to order the HD600 and having those along with my HE-400 I should be set for a little while at least.  Next up will be an amp and I think the Schiit Asgard 2 or the O2 Objective will be 2 strong contenders.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,792 of 23,456
Quote:

Oh yeah, I think brain burn-in is the most important part of it all, I had IEM's that I didn't like a first and thought I might sale them but after a few days of brain burn-in I loved the IEM (it was the Earsonics SM3 V2)

The reason I want the HD600 is because its more laid back compared to the HE-400 but its not as warm as the HD650, I read where more people like the HD600 over the HD650.  With those 2 HP's I'll be set for awhile once I get my Schiit Asgard 2 amp.

I didn't expect to just jump-in head first into headphones like I have but after the first day listening to the HE-400 I was hooked and most of my IEM's are being sold except a couple.

I know what you mean. I never expected to go crazy on this hobby. It started out with me just trying to find a great replacement to some terrible, old headphones that broke down. Then like a drug, I just kept looking and drooling and buying and oh god no... 
Quote:
+1 on brain burn in. I'm with Ohnoitztotoro-- I've experienced "burn-in" on a limited number of my headphones though only in the first 10 or 20 hours (what is this 200, 400, 800 hour bull? I'm very skeptical of it) and I have always found it pretty much impossible to determine how much of it was the headphone and how much was my ears/brain getting used to the new sound. I suspect "brain burn-in" has a much larger effect for most people than driver burn-in does.

I seriously wonder sometimes if perhaps companies suggest these insanely long hours of "burn in" to force people to accidentally miss their "return window" haha. I can see how burn in is possible but I don't know about needing hundreds of hours for any headphone to open up. :p 

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,793 of 23,456
Quote:
I know what you mean. I never expected to go crazy on this hobby. It started out with me just trying to find a great replacement to some terrible, old headphones that broke down. Then like a drug, I just kept looking and drooling and buying and oh god no... 

I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years.  With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile because its getting a bit out of control.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #2,794 of 23,456
I have only experienced it once with Beyer T50Ps, shockingly bad out of the
box, but after about 50 hrs they sounded great, I still don't know what happened
but I think a lot had to do with squashing of the pads over that time.

I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles.

I thought it was all total bull until the T50Ps

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #2,795 of 23,456
Quote:

I went back and add up all the IEM's, DAP's and other things I've got while doing this and it was over $4000 and that's just in less than 2 years.  With the headphones I'm just going to get a few plus a good amp and then I'm done for awhile becauseits getting a bit out of control.

Don't add up....

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #2,796 of 23,456
Another $310 (accessoryjack.com has them for $309.99) is gone but in return I get a new pair of HD600's so I think its a good trade off.  Now with my HE-400 and the HD600 I'm done buying headphones for at least 6 months, I'm going to get a reasonably priced amp and just enjoy the music.

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #2,798 of 23,456
Go easy on those impressions guys.
About 2 decades later since launch it's a bit late for a FOTM pair of cans 
size]

(had to use this emoticon at least once haha!)

It's great to see a resurgence of interest on these headphones around this forum with all those hundreds of new cans popping out of nowhere: kudos do Tyll and DavidMahler :)

Mar 23, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,799 of 23,456
Looking to upgrade my X-cans amp that I currently use with my HD600s, what would you recommend for £500 ish ? Graham Slee ?

Any valve amps that use ECC82 or 83 would be most welcome.

Anyone tried the Icon amps with HD600?
Thanks

I would look into the Bottlehead Crack for a valve amp.  I find it brings out all the best qualities of the 600s, great timbre, pacing, and more 3D soundstaging.  This is compared to my Nuforce HDP.  Which tends to accentuate the upper mids (cymbals and the general hard "sss" sound.  I generally prefer to use the Crack with most kinds of music.   

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2,800 of 23,456
Hello! First post here!

I work professionally in audio and love my HD600s. They have a bit of "a sound" -- but once you learn it they are fantastic tools. Not to mention beautiful for simply enjoying music.

I second Jmstrmbn's suggestion of the Bottlehead Crack (plus Speedball upgrade of course). I have it in my hi-fi system (along with the Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp) and it is fantastic for listening. It can be a bit noisy -- such is the nature of tubes. If you're into building electronics it's also a very fun project to put together. The Bottlehead customer service is excellent too!

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #2,801 of 23,456
Quote:
Well I'm about to order the HD600 and having those along with my HE-400 I should be set for a little while at least.  Next up will be an amp and I think the Schiit Asgard 2 or the O2 Objective will be 2 strong contenders.

I use an Objective 2 to amp my HD 600s and it sounds great with them.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #2,802 of 23,456
"I know HIFI retailers who religiously burn in speakers, (out of phase, facing each other with a blanket on top)
I don't see why they would waste their time if it didn't improve the sound, these are salesmen, not audiophiles."

Why out of phase and facing each other? What difference could that make?

Mar 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #2,805 of 23,456
Tyll, just saw your demo vid on your website with taking the cans apart... around 8:24 mins into it... I swear I jumped on my chair and almost fell out... you just need to suck it out... epic DIY moment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back