Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2,776 of 23,456
Wow!!  I just got my 600s this evening and I am hearing so much more in the music!  Now I need to listen to my collection again to get to know it
atsmile.gif
!

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #2,778 of 23,456
Wooo just had one of those "oh sh!t something's behind me moments" you guys were talking about a few pages back when it's really just all in the music.  Listening to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbvrM6Nj2Ok
Doing homework at 10:09 home alone.  My heart skipped a beat haha not the first time it's happened with the HD600s but the first time I've appreciated it.

Mar 22, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #2,779 of 23,456
Get ready for several nights in a row staying up past your bedtime!

Quote:
Wow!!  I just got my 600s this evening and I am hearing so much more in the music!  Now I need to listen to my collection again to get to know it
atsmile.gif
!

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2,780 of 23,456
Loving my HE-400 but its about time I finally get the HD600 after wanting one for awhile now.

I've bought just IEM's and skipped headphones because I always thought that an IEM that's $300 will sound better than a $300 headphone, I always thought the IEM's (balanced armature) were quite a bit more detailed.  Now after using the HE-400 I know that's just not true at all.  So I've sold pretty much all my IEM's but I'm going to keep like 2 just to have when I'm out and about.

I've read that the soundstage on the HD600 while still good isn't as open sounding as the HE-400 but compared to IEM's it will sound huge.  That's one of the main things about headphones that I love is the presentation and soundstage, music on the HE-400 sounds so grand and encompassing and I really love that.

Anyways I'm hoping to order the HD600 this weekend and I can't wait to finally hear it.

How long of a burn-in should one give the HD600?  IEM's like my BA's I never had to do that but headphones it does make a difference.  I'm thinking a good 40 or 50 hours should be fine but I'm going to listen to periodically to hear how much it changes.

Mar 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,781 of 23,456
Quote:
Loving my HE-400 but its about time I finally get the HD600 after wanting one for awhile now.

I've bought just IEM's and skipped headphones because I always thought that an IEM that's $300 will sound better than a $300 headphone, I always thought the IEM's (balanced armature) were quite a bit more detailed.  Now after using the HE-400 I know that's just not true at all.  So I've sold pretty much all my IEM's but I'm going to keep like 2 just to have when I'm out and about.

I've read that the soundstage on the HD600 while still good isn't as open sounding as the HE-400 but compared to IEM's it will sound huge.  That's one of the main things about headphones that I love is the presentation and soundstage, music on the HE-400 sounds so grand and encompassing and I really love that.

Anyways I'm hoping to order the HD600 this weekend and I can't wait to finally hear it.

How long of a burn-in should one give the HD600?  IEM's like my BA's I never had to do that but headphones it does make a difference.  I'm thinking a good 40 or 50 hours should be fine but I'm going to listen to periodically to hear how much it changes.

Not quite sure about burn in but 40-50 hours sounds fine to start with. The one thing I will say that needs some "burn in" though if you're coming from the HE-400 is your mind. To me the HD6xx series' sound signature is something of a compliment/opposite with the HE-400. the HD600 definitely brings the mids out more with the entire signature being very crisp/clean. The bass has some nice impact but not as in your face as the HE-400. This is imo, the opposite to the HE-400 which has very crisp and powerful bass with mids/vocals that sound further away (hence why the soundstage sounds bigger than the HD600 imo). They are two very different flavors that I appreciate but it did take a good week to get use to the difference for me and maybe a few extra days to truly appreciate it. (I had the HD600 first then bought the HE-400). 

To me, the HD600 sounds more natural and easier to like while the HE-400 brings a unique signature that really grows on you. You may get accustom to the HD600 faster since you're coming from the HE-400 (or maybe the opposite is true) but either way, give yourself a good week or two to hear the difference and appreciate what both of these headphones offer. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #2,782 of 23,456
This is good advice. After almost 3 decades of audio listening and comparing, I'm still not sure where's that line that separates the burn in of gear from the mind adjustment to a new sound sig.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #2,783 of 23,456
Quote:
Not quite sure about burn in but 40-50 hours sounds fine to start with. The one thing I will say that needs some "burn in" though if you're coming from the HE-400 is your mind. To me the HD6xx series' sound signature is something of a compliment/opposite with the HE-400. the HD600 definitely brings the mids out more with the entire signature being very crisp/clean. The bass has some nice impact but not as in your face as the HE-400. This is imo, the opposite to the HE-400 which has very crisp and powerful bass with mids/vocals that sound further away (hence why the soundstage sounds bigger than the HD600 imo). They are two very different flavors that I appreciate but it did take a good week to get use to the difference for me and maybe a few extra days to truly appreciate it. (I had the HD600 first then bought the HE-400). 

To me, the HD600 sounds more natural and easier to like while the HE-400 brings a unique signature that really grows on you. You may get accustom to the HD600 faster since you're coming from the HE-400 (or maybe the opposite is true) but either way, give yourself a good week or two to hear the difference and appreciate what both of these headphones offer. 

Oh yeah, I think brain burn-in is the most important part of it all, I had IEM's that I didn't like a first and thought I might sale them but after a few days of brain burn-in I loved the IEM (it was the Earsonics SM3 V2)

The reason I want the HD600 is because its more laid back compared to the HE-400 but its not as warm as the HD650, I read where more people like the HD600 over the HD650.  With those 2 HP's I'll be set for awhile once I get my Schiit Asgard 2 amp.

I didn't expect to just jump-in head first into headphones like I have but after the first day listening to the HE-400 I was hooked and most of my IEM's are being sold except a couple.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #2,784 of 23,456
+1 on brain burn in. I'm with Ohnoitztotoro-- I've experienced "burn-in" on a limited number of my headphones though only in the first 10 or 20 hours (what is this 200, 400, 800 hour bull? I'm very skeptical of it) and I have always found it pretty much impossible to determine how much of it was the headphone and how much was my ears/brain getting used to the new sound. I suspect "brain burn-in" has a much larger effect for most people than driver burn-in does.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,785 of 23,456
Most of it is undoubtedly the brain. I remember when I first got the HD600 - I thought the difference with the HD650 was huge and that it sounded like a totally different headphone. These days, switching between the two I notice differences but they are nowhere near as glaring as I thought they initially were. Note the HD600 was/is second hand so break-in wasn't even relevant. The mind does strange things I guess.

I won't deny break-in exists; there is proof. But any kind of perceived big difference is surely psychological. For instance, if someone says they found the HD650 dark and veiled and 'closed in' at first, but that they 'opened up' after a hundred hours, that's where I'm going to say no, break in does not account for that.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,786 of 23,456
Quote:
[...] I won't deny break-in exists; there is proof. [...]

Just curious, what's the proof? As I understand it, there's never been any scientific proof to back up perceived "burn-in". I know Tyll at Innerfidelity has tried measuring headphones before and after burn-in and wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive, partly because once you remove the headphones from the dummy head and then put them back on to measure again it effects the results so its hard to pinpoint any changes.

Mar 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #2,787 of 23,456
Quote:

Just curious, what's the proof? As I understand it, there's never been any scientific proof to back up perceived "burn-in". I know Tyll at Innerfidelity has tried measuring headphones before and after burn-in and wasn't able to come up with anything conclusive, partly because once you remove the headphones from the dummy head and then put them back on to measure again it effects the results so its hard to pinpoint any changes.

I would link to the site, but good guy Head Fi won't let me link to it. Look for nwavguy's blog on the HD650.

Btw, when I said there's proof for break in, what I meant is that there have been found measurable changes during the initial life of a headphone. I did not mean to imply that it makes it factual that any differences can be and will be audible:

"To see if there are measurable differences before and after break-in I made several measurements when the 650 was new right out of the box. And then I ran them at moderately loud volume for 48 hours and repeated the measurements. I went so far as to leave them undisturbed on my “simulated head” the entire time. I also rechecked the measurements in open air and with them on my head and the difference was consistent. The bass resonance shifted slightly lower by a few hertz and that’s what you might expect as the driver’s suspension loosens up a bit. Imagine a new pair of shoes being stiff and after you’ve worn them for a while they break-in and flex easier. That’s roughly what’s likely going on here. That said, the difference in resonance frequency is so slight it’s hard to imagine it’s audible. But it’s possible other characteristics, like distortion, also improve with break-in. Collectively all the changes together could be audible. And it’s very possible other headphones, with different driver designs and suspensions, would show much bigger changes after break-in"

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #2,788 of 23,456
About burn in, I thought my HD600:s sounded absolutely brilliant when I first put them on. It was like coming home. And I think they still sound about exactly as they did then, any burn in would be unhearable on these cans imho. But the psychological part of growing to accept their sound signature is a totally different thing and may be the real burn in, for me it was no problem as they had exactly the type of sound signature I wished for. I've been using high quality cans since the 70:ies, starting with the AKG sixpack back then, so I know rather well what I want from a can ...

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #2,789 of 23,456
Ultimately our built in preferences will dictate whether or not we can appreciate what we are hearing.  Does that equate to burn in or acceptance when we notice a change over time?  Everyone must decide for themselves. 

Mar 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,790 of 23,456
Looking to upgrade my X-cans amp that I currently use with my HD600s, what would you recommend for £500 ish ? Graham Slee ?

Any valve amps that use ECC82 or 83 would be most welcome.

Anyone tried the Icon amps with HD600?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back