Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #2,761 of 23,438
Quote:
Haha, way too many recommendations for a noob like me! So far I've heard O2/ODAC combo, Audinst, Crack, Nuforce, Magni/Modi stack, and even more in other threads. From what I can understand, I need both a decent amp as well as a decent DAC, right?

Would the Magni/Modi stack be a good place to start? It seems like the O2/ODAC isn't appropriate for the HD600s?

Magni/Modi is perfect for all the Sennheisers I own. I actually prefer the Modi over the ODAC that I just sold.
I haven't heard the O2 yet though.

The Magni/Modi will also be good with most every headphone you'll buy later.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #2,763 of 23,438
Quote:
[size=small] Hey guys,[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've been trying to get into audiophile quality music for quite a while now, but have never found the time until now. If anybody has a little bit of time to give me some recommendations on my set-up (I know this has probably been asked to death), I'd really appreciate it.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The equipment: I purchased a Sennheiser HD600 from Amazon last semester, as well as a Fiio E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've read reviews that the E7 is a decent amp for the price. It's definitely not a fantastic amp, but I'm trying to get a feel for audiophile quality before I rush out to buy anything else.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The problem I have some flac files downloaded, and compare them using my setup to some 320kbps audio files playing through iTunes. I play the flac files through VLC or some other program. I notice absolutely no difference in sound quality.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Any help on how to get started? I'm at a loss right now, especially since HeadFi seems to think that these headphones are pretty great. I hate to see them go to waste on me![/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Does anybody have any recommendations on specific music that I can listen to to really test these headphones out and get a feel for them?[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks for any thoughts, fellas! It's much appreciated.[/size]

Regarding the files - as Eke said, for properly transcoded files - there shouldn't be an audible difference.  For a how-to on running an abx test so you can see for sure - try this walk-through that I rote for another head-fier (http://www.head-fi.org/t/655879/setting-up-an-abx-test-simple-guide-to-ripping-tagging-transcoding).

As far as amping goes - the E7 you have will play the HD600 loud enough - but I always felt mine was a little thin (even with an E7/E9 combo).  I changed to an Audio-gd NFB-12 (new comparable model is the Audio-gd NFB 15 - http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15.32/NFB15.32EN.htm ).  It's a good amp/dac combo.  I also use it as dac section only paired with a LD MKIV tube amp when the mood takes me.  You'll have lots of options - just need to pick something within your budget (from what's been discussed so far).

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #2,766 of 23,438
Quote:
well done.
The final winner seems to be HD600, for comfort factors.

what about the HD650? any majors difference with the 600?

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #2,768 of 23,438
I've owned both 650 and 600 in the past - dropped the 650 because I prefer the 600. Having said that, the differences I found were basically - kept notes 
redface.gif
:
600 - better bass slam and extension. More treble extension; better air up top; more neutral; fuller sound
650 - bigger soundstage; better bass articulation; highs are less extended; mid highs tilt

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #2,769 of 23,438
Has anyone had experience running HD600s from an Audiolab M-DAC's headphone output? I've been contemplating an upgrade from 595s to 600s for a while, but budget constraints mean that if discrete headphone amp is strictly needed the upgrade will have to be put off for a while :p.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2,770 of 23,438
Quote:
I've owned both 650 and 600 in the past - dropped the 650 because I prefer the 600. Having said that, the differences I found were basically - kept notes 
redface.gif
:
600 - better bass slam and extension. More treble extension; better air up top; more neutral; fuller sound
650 - bigger soundstage; better bass articulation; highs are less extended; mid highs tilt

Great description and comparison!  I agree.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #2,772 of 23,438
Quote:
redface.gif
:

Quote:
Great description and comparison!  I agree.

And a big +2!  Still have my 600 but got rid of the 650 --- I just need more sonic energy ..... up there

Mar 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #2,773 of 23,438
Seriously. I think I'm done with phones. After my excursion with the HE-500 vs HD600, I'm content that it will never get "better" enough to justify a multi-$K jump in price over the HD600.

ALL my music sounds great (at the very least). Reggae? Sublime. Folk? Beautiful. I just listened to Florence and the Machine's Unplugged, and I was (almost 
rolleyes.gif
) literally there.

My next step will be to get the Bottlehead Crack and be done with it. Maybe then I can rid myself of this site.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #2,774 of 23,438
Quote:
Seriously. I think I'm done with phones. After my excursion with the HE-500 vs HD600, I'm content that it will never get "better" enough to justify a multi-$K jump in price over the HD600.

ALL my music sounds great (at the very least). Reggae? Sublime. Folk? Beautiful. I just listened to Florence and the Machine's Unplugged, and I was (almost 
rolleyes.gif
) literally there.

My next step will be to get the Bottlehead Crack and be done with it. Maybe then I can rid myself of this site.

Yeah right.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #2,775 of 23,438

Users who are viewing this thread

Back