Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,746 of 23,451
I received my HD600 a couple of weeks ago, and am growing to love the sound signature. This is my first mid-fi set, as I've been using AD700's and SRH440's as my main cans for the last couple of years. Recently the addition of a C421 and an ODAC to the collection prompted me to finally invest into a higher end set. The C421 was driving them admirably, but last week, I found a good deal on a custom O2 and have been driving the HD600's with it the last few days.

The sound quality at lower volumes was what most impressed me, as it was much clearer sounding than the C421. Even going up the volume chain, the separation seems to better with O2. I'm extremely happy with my current setup right now, it's given a lot of life back to listening to my music collection lately :D

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #2,747 of 23,451
Lately I've been thinking of upgrading from the 600s.  My setup is decidedly mid-tier and I was thinking of going to the HE-500s or maybe the Audeze LCD2's.  This past weekend I got the opportunity to listen to the LCD 2's and I was not impressed.  Using the PS Audio DLIII with a SET amp they sounded marginally better than my own setup Nuforce HDP to Bottlehead Crack.  My dad ended up buying the DLIII and once we got it home I stole it to try out in my rig.  The 600s came to life.  The music which used to seem stuck to the page, jumped out and danced around my head.  Needless to say I am no longer considering upgrading headphones, I think I'll stick with these for a long time.  
L3000.gif

TLDR:  The HD600s may not carry the high end price tag anymore, but they can still hold their own very well.  Quite an Impressive feat.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #2,748 of 23,451
Once upon a time, the HD600 was considered the top of the top.

Quote:

TLDR:  The HD600s may not carry the high end price tag anymore, but they can still hold their own very well.  Quite an Impressive feat.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2,750 of 23,451
[size=small] Hey guys,[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've been trying to get into audiophile quality music for quite a while now, but have never found the time until now. If anybody has a little bit of time to give me some recommendations on my set-up (I know this has probably been asked to death), I'd really appreciate it.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The equipment: I purchased a Sennheiser HD600 from Amazon last semester, as well as a Fiio E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've read reviews that the E7 is a decent amp for the price. It's definitely not a fantastic amp, but I'm trying to get a feel for audiophile quality before I rush out to buy anything else.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The problem I have some flac files downloaded, and compare them using my setup to some 320kbps audio files playing through iTunes. I play the flac files through VLC or some other program. I notice absolutely no difference in sound quality.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Any help on how to get started? I'm at a loss right now, especially since HeadFi seems to think that these headphones are pretty great. I hate to see them go to waste on me![/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Does anybody have any recommendations on specific music that I can listen to to really test these headphones out and get a feel for them?[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks for any thoughts, fellas! It's much appreciated.[/size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,751 of 23,451
Quote:
[size=small] Hey guys,[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've been trying to get into audiophile quality music for quite a while now, but have never found the time until now. If anybody has a little bit of time to give me some recommendations on my set-up (I know this has probably been asked to death), I'd really appreciate it.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The equipment: I purchased a Sennheiser HD600 from Amazon last semester, as well as a Fiio E7 USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amp.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] I've read reviews that the E7 is a decent amp for the price. It's definitely not a fantastic amp, but I'm trying to get a feel for audiophile quality before I rush out to buy anything else.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] The problem I have some flac files downloaded, and compare them using my setup to some 320kbps audio files playing through iTunes. I play the flac files through VLC or some other program. I notice absolutely no difference in sound quality.[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Any help on how to get started? I'm at a loss right now, especially since HeadFi seems to think that these headphones are pretty great. I hate to see them go to waste on me![/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Does anybody have any recommendations on specific music that I can listen to to really test these headphones out and get a feel for them?[/size]

[size=small]  [/size]

[size=small] Thanks for any thoughts, fellas! It's much appreciated.[/size]

The fact of the matter is that FLAC offers very little, if any, improvement over a well-ripped 320 kbps file.

I've taken 24/96 and 24/172 files, and ripped them to MP3 using dbpower amp. The difference between the 300 mb file and the 12 mb one? Zilch.

The issue is that the E7 may not have enough power for the HD600. Look into upgrading the amp/DAC. There are plenty of options, like the Audinst MX-1 or MX-2.  

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #2,752 of 23,451
Thanks, eke2k6. Do you think that I would be able to realize a significant step up in sound with the O2+ODAC combo? If I purchased the O2+ODAC combo, I would have everything that I needed for a solid setup, correct?

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,753 of 23,451
Hey all,

I have been considering running my hd600 balanced, as I have read that it really shines in the configuration, but do not have a balanced amp.  anyone out there doing this, and if so, what are you using.  I am having a tough time deciding on weather to go with the bottle head crack, which is known to be a good amp for the 600, or go balanced, with another amp.  

the crack would probable be more cost effective I think, but what do you guys think?

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,754 of 23,451
Quote:
Thanks, eke2k6. Do you think that I would be able to realize a significant step up in sound with the O2+ODAC combo? If I purchased the O2+ODAC combo, I would have everything that I needed for a solid setup, correct?

I'm not sure, as I personally haven't heard the O2. Maybe the guys here can help with that.

Other options include the Schiit Magni/Modi stack, and the Bottlehead Crack is said to be the best you can get for the Senns.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #2,755 of 23,451
Quote:

Quote:
Hey all,

I have been considering running my hd600 balanced, as I have read that it really shines in the configuration, but do not have a balanced amp.  anyone out there doing this, and if so, what are you using.  I am having a tough time deciding on weather to go with the bottle head crack, which is known to be a good amp for the 600, or go balanced, with another amp.  

the crack would probable be more cost effective I think, but what do you guys think?

HD 600 loves voltage. The Crack seems to be one of the best buys for high impedance headphones, and Senn in particular. I've been toying with the idea of building one for some time, but the custom fees and the fact that I can barely solder anything properly has been putting this project into the back seat.

As for the O2, there's a lot of people happy with it with low impedance cans... which HD600 is not. I can listen to HD600 out of a mobo hp plug with no worries. Still enjoy music just fine. The thing is, as you move up in quality amping the HD600 responds accordingly. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #2,759 of 23,451
Haha, way too many recommendations for a noob like me! So far I've heard O2/ODAC combo, Audinst, Crack, Nuforce, Magni/Modi stack, and even more in other threads. From what I can understand, I need both a decent amp as well as a decent DAC, right?

Would the Magni/Modi stack be a good place to start? It seems like the O2/ODAC isn't appropriate for the HD600s?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,760 of 23,451
Quote:
Haha, way too many recommendations for a noob like me! So far I've heard O2/ODAC combo, Audinst, Crack, Nuforce, Magni/Modi stack, and even more in other threads. From what I can understand, I need both a decent amp as well as a decent DAC, right?

Would the Magni/Modi stack be a good place to start? It seems like the O2/ODAC isn't appropriate for the HD600s?

There are loads of options to consider. Only your ears will tell you the truth. Set a budget and start from there. There's never an end to this thing until you stop visiting foruns like this. Most of the fun is starting from the bottom up anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back