Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,551 of 23,482
Quote:
Computer > ASUS Essence STX > HD600

: /

Needs a dedicated amp.  Probably going to go with a Schiit Asgard.

Are you going to double amp it? 
beerchug.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2,552 of 23,482
Quote:
Are you going to double amp it? 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I'm assuming I would use the RCA out on the back of my sound card (red and white connectors).  Does the card amplify out of those connectors or only the 1/4" jack?  Should I connect to my amp with the 1/4" jack instead?  Also, is "double amping" bad?  Is it good?  Does it change the sound?

I don't know how this analog stuff works...  
confused.gif

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #2,553 of 23,482
General rule for analogue, less is more. More the components, more the losses possible. Therefore double amping is bad. Your stx should have a line out which only outputs signal directly from its internal dac

Feb 2, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #2,554 of 23,482
Quote:
Computer > ASUS Essence STX > HD600

: /

Needs a dedicated amp.  Probably going to go with a Schiit Asgard.

Both the ST and STX have a headphone amp already in the jack to power headphones up to 600ohms.  I own the ST and a pair of 600's and believe me, you do not need anything unless your gonna go for a desktop setup =)

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #2,555 of 23,482
I just got my first pair of HD-600's, and I'm really impressed. I've been running them through a SS amp to break them in, and there are about 30 hours on them. Really loving the sound through my Earmax Pro tube amp... seems to be a nice match. I figure that the cans will continue to break in for awhile, too. Best $300 I've spent in awhile!

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,556 of 23,482
Quote:
I just got my first pair of HD-600's, and I'm really impressed. I've been running them through a SS amp to break them in, and there are about 30 hours on them. Really loving the sound through my Earmax Pro tube amp... seems to be a nice match. I figure that the cans will continue to break in for awhile, too. Best $300 I've spent in awhile!

Nice pairing.  Don't hear too much about the Earmax.  Nice amp.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #2,562 of 23,482
Quote:

Yeah I've got the stock 10' cable and it just won't reach, with my current setup.  Maybe that company would make a 15', I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

out of topic but i love your pic. The Big Kahuna Burger 
biggrin.gif

Good. Looks like me an Vincent caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'? 
Brett: Hamburgers. 
Jules: Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of hamburgers? 
Brett: Ch-cheeseburgers. 
Jules: No, no no, where'd you get 'em? McDonalds? Wendy's? Jack in the Box? Where? 
Brett: Big Kahuna Burger. 
Jules: Big Kahuna Burger. That's that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain't never had one myself. How are they? 
Brett: They're good. 
Jules: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right? 
[Picks up burger and takes a bite
Jules: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger? 
[Vincent shakes his head
Jules: Wanna bite? They're real tasty. 
Vincent: Ain't hungry. 
Jules: Well, if you like burgers give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because my girlfriend's a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France? 
Brett: No. 
Jules: Tell 'em, Vincent. 
Vincent: A Royale with cheese. 
Jules: A Royale with cheese! You know why they call it that? 
Brett: Because of the metric system? 
Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You're a smart ************. That's right. The metric system. What's in this? 
Brett: Sprite. 
Jules: Sprite, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down? 
Brett: Go right ahead. 
Jules: Ah, hit the spot. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2,563 of 23,482
Quote:
This, there's really no need to buy an Asgard in addition to the Essence if what you want to do is power the HD600's.

I'm just chasing sound quality, like everyone else.  I don't need extra power to drive my headphones, you're right.  Are you saying that there won't be an appreciable improvement in sound quality with a desktop amp?

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #2,564 of 23,482
The difference between amps is less than the difference between headphones, but it's still there.  The Asgard was made for the HD600 if you ask me.

Quote:
I'm just chasing sound quality, like everyone else.  I don't need extra power to drive my headphones, you're right.  Are you saying that there won't be an appreciable improvement in sound quality with a desktop amp?

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #2,565 of 23,482
Quote:
The difference between amps is less than the difference between headphones, but it's still there.  The Asgard was made for the HD600 if you ask me.

I'm conflicted by some people saying they hear little difference between the Asgard and Magni.  Asgard being class A and Magni being class AB, should make them sound different.  I'm not saying that you made that statement either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back