Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #2,401 of 23,486
Quote:

Congrats.  Looking forward to your thoughts on them.  Remember to get a y-splitter (RCA male-to-3.5/6.2 mm female) so you can hok up your HD600 directly to the TD-11's tube output (without needing the M-Stage (if you so desire).  I recommend letting the 7DJ8 tube burn in for a good 20 hours or so, too,  Nothing fancy to that process.. just install the tube in the TD-11 and leave the unit on for 20 or so hours.  Of course, you can just listen to the unit and you'll be burning in the tube that way as well.

Thanks mate! I'll be sure to report back.

Already have the y-splitter from Monoprice ready to go! Nothing fancy, but cables are something that I'll get into later if at all...

It will be interesting to compare the stock tubes to the Zaerix 7DJ8 and the Genalex Gold Lion ECC88 I have coming in!

Any differences in burning in by simply having the unit on, vs. having music playing through it (headphone plugged in or not)?

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #2,402 of 23,486

It will be interesting to compare the stock tubes to the Zaerix 7DJ8 and the Genalex Gold Lion ECC88 I have coming in!

Any differences in burning in by simply having the unit on, vs. having music playing through it (headphone plugged in or not)?

Great choice of tubes.. the GL, Zaerix, and stock tube all offer a nice contrast in sound from each other (but aren't so wildly colored as to make them too specialized).  You're gonna have fun with those tubes.

In regards to burning in with music vs. without music.. I don't think there's going to be a difference.  As long as the unit is powered on , the tube will be logging time.  The tube is running regardless of input/output used.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #2,403 of 23,486
Quote:

... but... you also said... that you didn't like the way the HD650 sounded... so... if it makes your HD600 sound like the HD650... and you said you don't like the HD650........................

...Is it me or did this thread take a very strange turn in the last 2 pages?

"They are Russian made 6h23n-eb .  And I actually DO like them ...... as I said ... they make my HD600 sound a bit like the HD650"

I probably should have been clearer.  When I had them both together I thought the 650 was just too dark for me.... but if I could have tuned it about halfway between a 650 and a 600 it would have been much better.  That's the kind of sound I'm getting from the HD600 with those tubes.  Does this make any more sense?

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #2,404 of 23,486
I'm already enjoying the HD600 with the T-11's solid state output. If the HD600 is already this pleasing, I wonder how much difference the almighty HD800 will make 
basshead.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2,405 of 23,486
Quote:

Great choice of tubes.. the GL, Zaerix, and stock tube all offer a nice contrast in sound from each other (but aren't so wildly colored as to make them too specialized).  You're gonna have fun with those tubes.

In regards to burning in with music vs. without music.. I don't think there's going to be a difference.  As long as the unit is powered on , the tube will be logging time.  The tube is running regardless of input/output used.

The unit arrived 2 hours ago, haven't received my 7DJ8 nor GL yet...

But with the stock tube, a y-splitter for tube out, and a unit yet to burn in...

... I am in audio nirvana.

This is coming from using just the Audinst HUD-mini. Huge difference. SS is wider, definitely warmer yet more airy...

...I'm going to stop writing and just start listening. How do you review writers bear to write reviews when you're faced with such awesome sound? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,410 of 23,486
I certainly like my HD600's, but I find myself wishing that it had more soundstage. Could it be my DAC/amp? I'm currently using the uDAC-2. I'm considering nabbing a pair of K701's for the increased soundstage (and brightness, which honestly doesn't bother me).

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2,412 of 23,486
Quote:
I certainly like my HD600's, but I find myself wishing that it had more soundstage. Could it be my DAC/amp? I'm currently using the uDAC-2. I'm considering nabbing a pair of K701's for the increased soundstage (and brightness, which honestly doesn't bother me).

I imagine your source/amp is good enough to give you a good idea of what the sound stage is capable of. It is not an awe-inspiring sound stage, but I find it realistic and it doesn't bring attention to itself, which I kind of like. I don't always find it natural when I look around for where a sound is coming from. The soundstage on the K701 and DT880 do bring the soundstage to the forefront, but I find the trade off on mids and timber to be unacceptable, imo.

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #2,413 of 23,486
Quote:

Before you try a different pair of cans try taking off the grills from the HD600s.  I've been using mine without the grills and fiio e9/e7 for the past 3-4 months and the sound stage opened up a ton.  I also replaced the thick foam in between the drivers and your ears with pantyhoes (that reduced the bass and brought out more tremble) although I'm not sure how much effect it had on the sound stage.
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that the grill makes any difference whatsoever. My HD600's left ear grill got a little bit punched in and I haven't noticed any difference in sound at all.

It makes a HUGE difference (well more than I thought taking off the grills would make.  Your punched in grill still has the same amount of surface area for sound to bounce back from.  Taking off the grills give them absolutely no material for sound to reflect off of and made a much larger difference than I thought it  would.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #2,414 of 23,486
I find zero difference with or without the grills. Soundstage has never been one of the HD600 standout features. I haven't used a uDAC2, but most that have tried a tube amp, know that Senns love tubes.

Dec 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #2,415 of 23,486
Just got my HD600s today, using a Rockboxed iPod Classic 7G to Leckerton MK-II and loving it. Very glad I made this choice, this is the exact sound I was looking for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back