Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #2,266 of 23,450
Quote:
Just bit the bullet and ordered a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Will give impressions when they arrive,
very excited haha

Don't forget to let it burn in, I tested my old one and a fresh pair side by side and they sound very different. Burned in sounds more laid back and better bass. I wouldn't believe it myself had I not heard it :D

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #2,267 of 23,450
Quote:
Don't forget to let it burn in, I tested my old one and a fresh pair side by side and they sound very different. Burned in sounds more laid back and better bass. I wouldn't believe it myself had I not heard it :D

How long did you burn yours for?

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2,268 of 23,450

Just remember, the condition of the earpads can make more of a difference to the sound than any 'burn-in'. Unlikely your old and new HD600 both had new pads (I'm guessing). Also were they the same drivers? New HD600 have the silver drivers, old had the black.

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #2,269 of 23,450

Thanks for the tip! But there's no need to try convert me haha I'm a strong believer of burn-in after my K702's and my KNS-8400's both benefiting from extensive burn in periods.
I also think that the pads make a difference (from grado modding) but i usually dont judge a headphone critically til its had at least a few hours of pink/white and brown noise through it :)

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2,270 of 23,450
Quote:
It definitely deserves a 200 dollar + amp, mine both love my x-cans and Voyager, but I know I am not hearing the HD600s full potential . Using them with my e7 just shows all the flaws if the Fiio, a bit like putting 2 star petrol in a Rolls Royce !

HD 600 potential is deadly scary . any good headphones can give good transprancy & details.
But not all can project emotions of a music & bring you closer to music like the Hd 600 ..

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #2,271 of 23,450
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! But there's no need to try convert me haha I'm a strong believer of burn-in after my K702's and my KNS-8400's both benefiting from extensive burn in periods.
I also think that the pads make a difference (from grado modding) but i usually dont judge a headphone critically til its had at least a few hours of pink/white and brown noise through it
smily_headphones1.gif

Change the cable first ..use HD650 cables at minimum upgrade  since you already had goods headphones..
  mine is using cardas .. love it .

Food for thoughts..

once a upon a time  one seller tell me to upgrade my senns cable to cardas  which cost ~ US 250  inclusive tax.
  i was reluctant at first but i did trust this seller toa certain extent . below are my conversations with him    

Seller :Did you know cardas cable?
 Me:   I know. Cardas use to make after market cable &  pretty much well know in US for selling hign end cables.
          but i use MIT coz its cheaper

Seller: Did you know why john cardas ( well known Cardas company  ) venture headphones cable market ?

Me:   Dunno ..shoot me

Seller :One day john cardas  daughter brought  home a new pair of headphones .
   While she was listening to it, john cardas asked her to let him hear the headphones .
    He was so disastified with the  sound coming from the headphones.
    Soon, i think asap,  he  went back to his company  & make new cable for it. 
    He then hook it to the headphones  & listen to it and only then he is satisfied  .

Me: Okayy.. what does it has to do your suggestion

Seller : The headphones that John Cardas daughter brought back is HD600 .
              He himself specially made the cable for the headphones.

[size=medium]The morale of this story is that ;[/size]
[size=medium]-HD600 quite a quite significant impact on John Cardas for him to venture  aftermarket cables for headphone[/size]
[size=medium]-If HD600 is not impressive enough, he would not let his Cardas company to venture into  aftermarket cables for headphones[/size]
[size=medium]-You hardly go wrong with cardas cable for upgrade, as for me this Cardas guy is a genius.[/size]
[size=medium]I once google  youtube & found out that in his listening room , the speakers that he is using is magneplanar speakers which is well known for its nuetralish character.. I know because I own one of them. Neutral ness is the character of Hd600..  See the connection…[/size]

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #2,273 of 23,450
Had my left channel go out due to an issue with the cable.

Any recommendation as to what cable I should replace it with? I'm already missing these and it's only been a couple hours.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #2,274 of 23,450
HD650 cable is always cheap and more sturdy than the original one~

Cardas is often recommended regardless on what problem, so it could be the magic if you are a believer~

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #2,275 of 23,450
Quote:
Just remember, the condition of the earpads can make more of a difference to the sound than any 'burn-in'. Unlikely your old and new HD600 both had new pads (I'm guessing). Also were they the same drivers? New HD600 have the silver drivers, old had the black.

The padding on the new one was definitely firmer, so that changes distance to the driver. I don't remember offhand whether they had different color drivers because I already sold one. Since I was the second owner of the older set, I can't say how many hours are on it.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,276 of 23,450
The one obvious flaw of hd600 is its stadard cable..
The engineers at senns  know it ..you dont have to be a doctor to realize it
IMO they are bound with the price limiting factor of hd600 sets by their sales department..
if hd600 wasn't a hit, they  would have introduce hd600 version mk 2 with a higher price
since it is still adored & its sales is good ( else they would discontinue it), they just sell hd600 as it is
it is a part of marketing strategy ..

Back to hd600.. any of you guys watching the voice season 3 ( episode27)
i was annoyed with the sound of fan humming in the background  when the coaches giving opinions esp at blake shelton corner.
at first i though it was a bad recording, but i hear it carefully through hd600  , it sounds like a fan . no wonder sometimes you see the hair of the contestant blown away by air

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #2,277 of 23,450
well the pads on my HD600s are way too worn.... I bought them used on ebay and they're too the point that I feel the top of the headphone bumping up against my ear on one side when I lay down with them... I can't seem to justify paying $60 for two pieces of foam and cloth tough.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #2,278 of 23,450
Quote:
well the pads on my HD600s are way too worn.... I bought them used on ebay and they're too the point that I feel the top of the headphone bumping up against my ear on one side when I lay down with them... I can't seem to justify paying $60 for two pieces of foam and cloth tough.

Well, $60 on foam and cloth every 18 to 24 months, or as some do, $300 on copper/silver now? Thing is even if the latter makes a lot of difference, if you only have one pair to test, chances are it's only more noticeable because the effect is all there, whereas the deterioration of the pads comes gradually.

Besides, to put it in perspective, it's not only the pads; headphones with cheap pads tend to have a chassis that doesn't help comfort all that much for some people. Take $25 Grado bowls vs Sennheiser HD6xx pads, AKG K70x pads, Beyer gel pads, etc. The annoying bit really isn't that these pads are worth $60 (heck AKG 3D foam pads used to be $90 a pair), but that they wear out too fast. 24months on the same pair is actually pushing it already if you put more than 2hours a day on them. And worse, in some areas the distributor doesn't stock them.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #2,280 of 23,450
Quote:
I once being told that Hd600 pads is more expensive than HD650?
is it true..

The earpads? AFAIK they're the same - it's only on Sennheiser's site that they're listed as separate, probably to make it easier for people to find them if you're the type to look at what you have, then instead of having read up on forums or looking up part numbers (who'd wanna do that?) you look for something labelled for your gear.

The headband pads are probably priced differently since they're different. Although personally I don't feel any benefit in comfort of one over the other, I suggest using the HD650 pads since the wider gap between the pads means it'll be easier to find (improvised) headphone stands that won't deform them too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back