Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2,161 of 23,458
Thank you! Which one is less grainy between the two?

Yikes, that's a tough question. I don't think either are grainy at all to be honest with you. It comes down to tastes and the flavor you're looking for in both sound and looks.

Remember, cables aren't the best value for your money, so make sure you like its feel and look as well. That's just me

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,162 of 23,458
Quote:
Yikes, that's a tough question. I don't think either are grainy at all to be honest with you. It comes down to tastes and the flavor you're looking for in both sound and looks.
Remember, cables aren't the best value for your money, so make sure you like its feel and look as well. That's just me

OK then, thanks for your impressions

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #2,163 of 23,458
rs1 is a very good headphone.
some say it is totally opposite of hd600.
it easier to find rig set up to properly showcase rs1  potential compared to Hd 600..
i only had the lower end grado sr125i.its soound difinitely  colored  in a good way.
If you dont mind the soundstage & emotions of a song &  where the drums, the guitarist  & singer  located  ,
it is one good headphone  to listen esp rock song.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #2,164 of 23,458
yes.. you are right. I was amongst the people who would like to try something out  of the box.

i would like something different but sounds  amazing  and not sounds digital

The benchmark would be the sounds  desribed by  well known audiophile listeners in stereophile magazine .

To me when listening to hd600 ,  It felt like you are in a room rather than listening to a pair of headphones  since the left sound & the right  sound  are  
connected  in perfection. 

Honestly, sound coming out of my hd 600 doesn't have the tubish sound like my museatex dac , conrad johnson pre amp , threshold amp  & maggies

speaker set up eventhough i use tubes to power it .

In Sarah brightman songs "  fluers de mal" ( flac files) i think could  identify the how many background singer if i give some more listening . 

I could difinitely heard clearly how the nuances of sarah's voice until its end ( her mouth was moving away from the microphone)

amid the ochestra like background at its peak.  When i heard the hotel california of 1994 live eagles concert from mp3 file only ,

it wasn't  the singers that struck  me the most or  the guitar strings, it is the shouting of the last person at the introdcution of the song .

It was a he. It was so so  real. The second thing is that i could visualize the drummer was  hitting at the edge  of the drum.

When listening to carolina costa song "when i look at you" in mp4 videos , you can hear every bit breathing  -well thats is normal for number of good headphones .

What amazed me is that i detect sounds which is not meant to be heard is heard such as ,

the squeaking sound when the tenderly rubbing her fingers on the piano while she was moving round the piano

& the  saliva sound in her mouth when she start singing. this is how good hd600 can be

Many people said when listening to sennheiser Hd600 to an ochestra song, it is like you are in the mid location of the ochesta's hall .

Yes it was true during my initial set up but now, i felt like i was in the 2nd or the 3rd row.

IMO , it a any set up , if you can give a soul to your set up to your reference, then you are in audio nirvana.

your audio set up must be able to bring you into the its world when you listening it.

Such set up , IMO must be at the tip of an iceberg set up , any slightes change in your set even incomn wattge differ by 10  watss literally ,

you know something was wrong when you are listening to the song . 

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2,165 of 23,458
yesterday i change the main socket of my hd 600 rig using normal uk plug for my power filtering unit ..just to do some confimation
yikes.. the sound become gloomy   with bigger artificial soundstage ..
change back to us plugs.. everything ok again..
change the wall socket to us type one.. the music become more distinct with authority
huh.. hd600 is that good to detect abnomality in changes.
I think the goomy part is due to the normal 13amp  fuse that i use

I think this forum had put me an alert to try to change to non tube amp to run my hd600.
it is true that it is so difficult to get it right to run hd600 using tube amp

My portable amp  ordinance .22 could not make the grade in driving them

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,166 of 23,458
Quote:
yesterday i change the main socket of my hd 600 rig using normal uk plug for my power filtering unit ..just to do some confimation
yikes.. the sound become gloomy   with bigger artificial soundstage ..
change back to us plugs.. everything ok again..
change the wall socket to us type one.. the music become more distinct with authority
huh.. hd600 is that good to detect abnomality in changes.
I think the goomy part is due to the normal 13amp  fuse that i use

I think this forum had put me an alert to try to change to non tube amp to run my hd600.
it is true that it is so difficult to get it right to run hd600 using tube amp

My portable amp  ordinance .22 could not make the grade in driving them

You changed the wall socket type... and the music became more distinct with authority... okay

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #2,170 of 23,458
I'm interested to find out just how many people have swapped out the stock HD600 cable for an aftermarket cable (since it's as easy as can be to do!) and the observations they have found from trying different cables with them?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #2,171 of 23,458
Quote:
I'm interested to find out just how many people have swapped out the stock HD600 cable for an aftermarket cable (since it's as easy as can be to do!) and the observations they have found from trying different cables with them?

I changed the stock to the HD650 stock cable after the original one broke. I couldn't hear a difference, but I am glad I swapped the cables because the original is not very durable.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,172 of 23,458
nevermind..

I posted some long crap about cables, but it's not worth it.

I do believe in good high quality DIY cables. Mogami, Belden are what I like.

I wish more people tried to make a DIY HD-600 cable. It's really quite easy!

I suggest Belden 1192A or the thinner version. I believe it's 1172A or something.

To get something that sounds like silver plated copper try Monoprice Cat6e
normal_smile .gif

I've come to the conclusion that the differences are probably just due to capacitance.
I don't believe "copper is copper" though.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #2,173 of 23,458
So for the HD600's it is worth potentially upgrading cables?

For sound reasons or just for durability?

edit: I honestly have looked into this before via posts and forum search etc but I still get back to the same questions...

Some are big believers, and others are waving the ABX flags calling bullsh!t :p

Butttt when it does come to the Sennheisers, both the 600 and 650 I have seen mention of cables a lot and tbh I'm quite interested in giving the 600's a go again, just wanted opinions on if the stock cable is a lower than average quality hence the upgrade even a fairly lower cost scale upgrade is worth it, or if people still see no difference :)

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #2,174 of 23,458
Quote:
So for the HD600's it is worth potentially upgrading cables?

For sound reasons or just for durability?

edit: I honestly have looked into this before via posts and forum search etc but I still get back to the same questions...

Some are big believers, and others are waving the ABX flags calling bullsh!t :p

Butttt when it does come to the Sennheisers, both the 600 and 650 I have seen mention of cables a lot and tbh I'm quite interested in giving the 600's a go again, just wanted opinions on if the stock cable is a lower than average quality hence the upgrade even a fairly lower cost scale upgrade is worth it, or if people still see no difference :)

Just for durability. Its only $25, so I would buy it if you plan on keeping them for a long time.
Even if they came with amazing pure silver stock cables, people would still "upgrade" them, and claim improvements in the sound quality.

Nov 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #2,175 of 23,458
Quote:

Just for durability. Its only $25, so I would buy it if you plan on keeping them for a long time.
Even if they came with amazing pure silver stock cables, people would still "upgrade" them, and claim improvements in the sound quality.

Well, plain old copper IS an upgrade over silver to some and that includes me.
biggrin.gif

Dont some of the Hifiman headphones come with silver cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back