Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #1,501 of 23,454
Have you ever had a portable amp that made your HD-600 sound better than your $200+ monster amps? I've heard of this with some people using the PA2V2 and some CMOYs. HD-600 sounds great from my Total Airhead. Uses the AD8397 opamp. That one seems to be in everything. Even the PA2V2 I think. They all sound different though it seems.

I wish my E11 had the mids of my Airhead. I'll have to try the PA2V2 sometime. I also need to try my HD-600 more with the E9.

Jul 18, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,502 of 23,454
Quote:
Have you ever had a portable amp that made your HD-600 sound better than your $200+ monster amps? I've heard of this with some people using the PA2V2 and some CMOYs. HD-600 sounds great from my Total Airhead. Uses the AD8397 opamp. That one seems to be in everything. Even the PA2V2 I think. They all sound different though it seems.

I wish my E11 had the mids of my Airhead. I'll have to try the PA2V2 sometime. I also need to try my HD-600 more with the E9.

Closest would be the Arrow - just a really clean amp that seems to go quite nicely with the HD600 if I ever want to use them away from my main rig.  But I still prefer the NFB-12 + LD MKIV combo though.  Two very different signatures (Arrow vs NFB+LD) - both very engaging though.

Jul 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,503 of 23,454
Quote:

Honestly...without being price biased or equipment biased I found my stock mobile phone with the rooted software tweaks to the audio driver system makes the HD600s sing...and loudly shockingly considering these are not easy to drive cans.  I was close to buying an RSA Predator or the like but then someone showed me this driver over at XDA.  Was so glad they did.

Samsung Galaxy S2 with Voodoo --> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.louder&hl=en

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #1,504 of 23,454
Quote:

Honestly...without being price biased or equipment biased I found my stock mobile phone with the rooted software tweaks to the audio driver system makes the HD600s sing...and loudly shockingly considering these are not easy to drive cans.  I was close to buying an RSA Predator or the like but then someone showed me this driver over at XDA.  Was so glad they did.

Samsung Galaxy S2 with Voodoo --> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.louder&hl=en

Very interesting! I'll have to try this on my Huawei Mercury but I doubt it supports it. I just received my Nexus 7 Tablet (which is pretty sweet btw) and I'm wondering what tweaks I can do to it as well. I was hoping the headphone jack on it would be more powerful than they typically are on the phones but its pretty much the same.

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #1,505 of 23,454
So I've been sitting on a balanced cable for my hd600's for a while now and I finally broke down and bought xlr gender changers to listen to the hd600 direct out of my Apogee Mini-DAC.  I believe I hear a gain increase and possibly slightly better detail but overall flatter dynamics.  Interesting experiment for sure but I think I liked it better SE out of the mini-dac; good thing I didn't buy the cable for the mini-dac though!

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #1,506 of 23,454
Quote:
So I've been sitting on a balanced cable for my hd600's for a while now and I finally broke down and bought xlr gender changers to listen to the hd600 direct out of my Apogee Mini-DAC.  I believe I hear a gain increase and possibly slightly better detail but overall flatter dynamics.  Interesting experiment for sure but I think I liked it better SE out of the mini-dac; good thing I didn't buy the cable for the mini-dac though!

This is great to hear...well, I mean for someone who has been tempted to go balanced! I've heard people say though that there is no sense going balanced if the DAC isn't balanced as well. Not sure if that is true, but it seems to makes sense... 

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,507 of 23,454
I dig my HD 600's for what I guess to be their transparency as they don't seem to add bass to any cool tracks but when I play nearly anything electronic, they produce whatever the track calls for. What's even better is that I don't have to EQ down the bass as I had to with my HD 518's. I'm glad I got the HD 600's over the HD 650's as, even without having listened to the latter, I like the bass reproduction of the former just fine and I wouldn't want any more bass.

I'm noticing that the HD 600's can reproduce a poor recording, though. Listening to the Naked & Famous' Passive me, Aggressive You can be harsh, especially the opening notes of Young Blood. I really have to dial down the highs for that track unless I want a headache.

Overall I find the HD 600's sound livable, though. They work well for movie-watching, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,508 of 23,454
Had the HD600(run balanced)to know what the fuss is about and while I enjoyed them initially,because they are more forward than the HD650,in the end I sold them and returned into the luxurious lushness of the 650's.
Even balanced,they sound "thin' compared to the 650.
Having said that,I do prefer now the Audeze .

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,509 of 23,454
If there's any Fiona Apple fans out there I very, very highly recommend listening through her latest album with the HD600s. Sweet Jesus. Its perfection.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,510 of 23,454
Does it work with other headphones as well?
beyersmile.png

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #1,511 of 23,454
Quote:
Does it work with other headphones as well?
beyersmile.png

Funny. Just put on my 770s to findout. Not getting any sound here........

Just kidding. But the mid-bass hump and forward mids of the HD600s are absolutely perfect for this album IMO.

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #1,512 of 23,454
Quote:
Overall I find the HD 600's sound livable, though. They work well for movie-watching, too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Try a pair of Denon AH-D7000s and I assure you those are the cans to watch movies on.  LFE reproduction rocks on 'em.  :)

Just saying! :)

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #1,513 of 23,454
Quote:
Try a pair of Denon AH-D7000s and I assure you those are the cans to watch movies on.  LFE reproduction rocks on 'em.  :)

Just saying! :)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I'll want them.

I've gotta be good/rational for a while and just listen to what I have on hand.

smile.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #1,514 of 23,454
I did a lot readings on trying to find the right amp/dac for this can, and it seems that there is a wide variety of options available.

There are many options that comes to my mind right now, since budget is a pretty big deal for me (Around $300). Can anyone help decide which option is best?

Going to be listening through a computer, mostly rock and folk rock music. (-> = Then later)

1. Buy O2+ODAC -> Cardas cable.
2. Buy Schiit Asgard (Live with it first [Connected to computer]) -> Long while (8 months - 1 year or so) -> Schiit Bifrost -> Another long while -> Cardas cable
3. Opposite of option 1
4. Help me make a new one?

Currently I have it hooked up with a Sound blaster sound card, it seems to work just fine but I want the most out of my headphones.

Many thanks in advance.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:26 AM Post #1,515 of 23,454
Quote:
I did a lot readings on trying to find the right amp/dac for this can, and it seems that there is a wide variety of options available.

There are many options that comes to my mind right now, since budget is a pretty big deal for me (Around $300). Can anyone help decide which option is best?

Going to be listening through a computer, mostly rock and folk rock music. (-> = Then later)

1. Buy O2+ODAC -> Cardas cable.
2. Buy Schiit Asgard (Live with it first [Connected to computer]) -> Long while (8 months - 1 year or so) -> Schiit Bifrost -> Another long while -> Cardas cable
3. Opposite of option 1
4. Help me make a new one?

Currently I have it hooked up with a Sound blaster sound card, it seems to work just fine but I want the most out of my headphones.

Many thanks in advance.

If you're on a budget ( or even if you aren't!) the first thing I'd do is forget about the cable upgrade.  It won't do anything for you (sound-wise).  If you're trying to upgrade looks or style, that's another story.  It's amazing the way this nonsense has been ingrained into the buying public.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back