Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 5, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #947 of 23,456
This may be very true.  I think a lot of it is all about synergy.  Sources, amps, cans, and your own ability to interpret sound.  Some people can hear the smallest differences on setup X but some other people can't hear the biggest differences on setup Y.  I think it's all about synergy.

Quote:
I honestly didn't notice any changes with mine.

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #948 of 23,456

Quote:
I've been running my new 600s constantly since last night (while I slept and at work)

L3000.gif
 Been up all night listening to your new headphones aye??

Jan 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #949 of 23,456
Haha, good one!  I wish I could listen to these at work, but what I've been doing was turning my cable box to a 24/7 music station and letting my new cans burn in.

Right now, they're pumping some mellow Mark Knopfler via my Woo 3.  Sounds fantastic.

Quote:
L3000.gif
 Been up all night listening to your new headphones aye??

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #950 of 23,456
Well in my search for an amp/dac I was able to get my hands on for the weekend a Furutech Cruise ADL ( http://www.furutech.com/a2008/product2.asp?prodNo=399 )

It's pretty wicked you can blast the HD600's easily on this thing.  I'm going to have some fun A/B'ing this thing with my Audio-GD FUN desktop amp/dac. 

Kinda expensive but hey it's my first portable to give a try.  My only negative (which is not the device itself but more or less my IEMs).  I noticed now with any "quality source" (the FUN or this Furutech) I get a seriously harsh hissing sound at any volume with my IEMs.  Plug it into a junk source (cell phone, cheap MP3 player, etc.) and that hiss is gone.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking of looking into some new IEMs.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #951 of 23,456
Is the source doing the amplification as well?  If so, it sounds like an impedance mismatch highlighted by the overall sensitivity of IEMs.  Cellphones and the like most likely use opamps, which pair better with low impedance and high sensitivity headphones or IEMs than do non-chip based amps.

Quote:
I noticed now with any "quality source" (the FUN or this Furutech) I get a seriously harsh hissing sound at any volume with my IEMs.  Plug it into a junk source (cell phone, cheap MP3 player, etc.) and that hiss is gone.  Any ideas?  I'm thinking of looking into some new IEMs.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #952 of 23,456
Specs are listed as:

Input impedance 16ohm
Sensitivity 110dB/mW
Max input 250mW
Freq Response: 5-24K

Is that an issue with those specs?  I'm contemplating looking at something else because this is frustrating hearing that nasty hiss when there's nothing playing back.  Like I said it's on any "quality source" so to speak.

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pcatid=Headphones%28DenonNA%29&CatId=InEar%28DenonNA%29&Pid=AHC560R%28DenonNA%29

Quote:
Is the source doing the amplification as well?  If so, it sounds like an impedance mismatch highlighted by the overall sensitivity of IEMs.  Cellphones and the like most likely use opamps, which pair better with low impedance and high sensitivity headphones or IEMs than do non-chip based amps.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #953 of 23,456
IEMs are typically more picky with noise floors than over-the-ear cans.  Unless you have a really clean source, IEMs will pick up all kinds of internal noise.  Those specs, at least to me, would not pair with overly powerful amplifiers, especially if the output impedance is below 16 ohms.

Quote:
Specs are listed as:

Input impedance 16ohm
Sensitivity 110dB/mW
Max input 250mW
Freq Response: 5-24K

Is that an issue with those specs?  I'm contemplating looking at something else because this is frustrating hearing that nasty hiss when there's nothing playing back.  Like I said it's on any "quality source" so to speak.

http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pcatid=Headphones%28DenonNA%29&CatId=InEar%28DenonNA%29&Pid=AHC560R%28DenonNA%29

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #955 of 23,456
love these headphones. my first pair was thoroughly enjoyed.. I've recently moved up to the hd650s and am finding them to fit way too tight on my head..
hope this eventually eases up or i'm going back to hd600s.

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #956 of 23,456
I thought my HD600s were a little tight, so when I wasn't listening to them, I put a pillow between the earpads.  This seems to have loosened things up a little.

Quote:
love these headphones. my first pair was thoroughly enjoyed.. I've recently moved up to the hd650s and am finding them to fit way too tight on my head..
hope this eventually eases up or i'm going back to hd600s.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #958 of 23,456
Quote:
I'm looking for a new headband pad+earpads for my HD600s.  If anyone has an extra set, please let me know-mine have completely collapsed and are in desperate need of replacing.

You can get them from Sennheiser, :

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/serviceandsupport_part-finder

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #960 of 23,456
Budget-Fi FTW

Waiting for the E17 
L3000.gif

Quote:
I bought a pair a year ago along with an E9. Enjoyed them a lot, and this year decided to get an E7 to pair up with the E9 (obviously more concerned for getting a DAC rather than amping it up even more, lol).

So pleased :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back