Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #616 of 23,456
After reading many impressions of the Headamp GS-1, I wondered if it was prudent to order a pair of HD650 "just in case", as the GS-1 is sometimes described as cold and analytical. To the contrary I'm finding the HD600 pairs very well with the GS-1, with a good balance of warmth, and a sweet midrange. In reference to the latter a well recorded piano has the slight sense of lushness one might expect, and the same could be said for many other instruments such as the oboe, saxophone, and dobro guitar. The GS-1 has also increased detail and overall clarity and air.

But then again such results should not have been a surprise, as the current graph still shows what used to be called a mid-bass hump extending well into the lower mids, and a nice sweet spot in the mids itself.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #617 of 23,456

Quote:
But then again such results should not have been a surprise, as the current graph still shows what used to be called a mid-bass hump extending well into the lower mids, and a nice sweet spot in the mids itself.  

I think I remember mentioning a while back I've EQ'ed the HD600 just a smidge in the lower end of the freq curve to "balance" it out.  It's very lively and definitely has some serious bass :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #618 of 23,456
Yes it does - I'm not sure why some say it lacks bass....though I admit it could be tighter - but with the right amp - its not an issue!

Sep 7, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #620 of 23,456

Quote:
Sounds awesome with the DNA Sonett.  I might have said that already, but it's true!

Yeas it does and I wish I still had my Sonett, but for me the GS-1 far surpasses it for classical music.

BTW, your latest comments on the HD800, makes me hesitate in trying them out.  

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #621 of 23,456

Quote:
BTW, your latest comments on the HD800, makes me hesitate in trying them out.  

I understand that the 800s are a great choice with Classical, and if you're basing an amp choice on that genre, you have got to be tempted by the 800s!  

You've either got to try them out, or stop reading about them.  
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #622 of 23,456

Quote:

I understand that the 800s are a great choice with Classical, and if you're basing an amp choice on that genre, you have got to be tempted by the 800s!  

You've either got to try them out, or stop reading about them.  
tongue_smile.gif

Yuuuup. That would be the logical next move, and the HD600 covers the rest of the bases well.

Sep 9, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #623 of 23,456
I joined the club yesterday, and the role for the Senn 600s is for the hour or two I get each day to work. Just seem perfect for that situation. In contrast, I like my AKG 702's for home, precision listening, but for neutrality, musically fun while still retaining depth and clarity, I dig the 600's a lot. They do seem to perform better - to my ears - with rock, though anything quieter will bring out the soundstage and clarity of the AKGs. Add the no-listening-fatigue, and I'm grateful. The area of weakness is definitely the lower end in terms of clarity. Not sure my current amp is doing justice here, and I haven't yet tried my portables, which may do better with them.

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #624 of 23,456
Sort, nice acquisition !
I have mine for almost two months and I'm very happy with them.... they're getting better and better and go well with all kind of music !
Just be happy and enjoy !

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #625 of 23,456

Quote:
I joined the club yesterday, and the role for the Senn 600s is for the hour or two I get each day to work. Just seem perfect for that situation. In contrast, I like my AKG 702's for home, precision listening, but for neutrality, musically fun while still retaining depth and clarity, I dig the 600's a lot. They do seem to perform better - to my ears - with rock, though anything quieter will bring out the soundstage and clarity of the AKGs. Add the no-listening-fatigue, and I'm grateful. The area of weakness is definitely the lower end in terms of clarity. Not sure my current amp is doing justice here, and I haven't yet tried my portables, which may do better with them.

You definitely need to try them with a proper amp, it turns the bass around completely.

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #626 of 23,456

Quote:
You definitely need to try them with a proper amp, it turns the bass around completely.

I just finished listening to "The Planets" by Gustav Holst (Montreal Symphony - Dutoit). The 600's please me very much in their ability to not draw attention to themselves and simply reproduce the music as it was recorded. They definitely do not lack in low frequency capability in any way. Deep, articulate, controlled and refined are adjectives that spring immediately to mind. I still love them and have no regrets.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #627 of 23,456
Love my HD 600, been using it's beatiful sound to compare other headphones while i'm in any headphone store. Will never forget how happy i am the first time i purchased my HD 600 as my very first high end headphone!

Looks like i am going to try new cans soon.Since i am not able to afford a T1... Shall search for good deal of HD 650 soon, got a really unique experience with it. Currently i can only find Razordog deal, since they can ship to my country at a good price.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #628 of 23,456
Before you start looking...some individuals (including myself) find the HD600 to be superior to the HD650.  Just something to keep in mind! :)

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #630 of 23,456
Maybe its also time to explore different media players/dacs/amps because that perfect combo will also do wonders with the hd600. I am currently enjoying them using J River Media Center using WASAPI-Event Style to a E7/E9 combo using a Belkin Gold USB cable and they are already kicking some major booty. How much more if I had a ZDT or something like that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back