Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #22,636 of 23,458
i’d like to ask, right now for my HD600 while listening at home I just use my laptop and a Magni+. at the office i use my work laptop and an Apple dongle (3.5mm to usb c). what I’ve read on DACs has said for current day tech, most sources already have all the DAC that you need, and as long as you don’t have an audible disturbance…you’re good. Preamp is another question. Anyhow, my vanilla setup of HD600 ➡️ Magni+ ➡️ Laptop, is there something else you guys think I’m seriously missing out on for enjoying music with my HD600s (and other Sennys) with this simple set up?

^I know you all were having a higher level discussion. sorry for breaking in on that
Yes, a good desktop dac will be more resolving and real than dacs contained in computers. But what are your digital files? You need lossless files, redbook (16/44) minimum, or your dac won’t approach its potential.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #22,637 of 23,458
Yes, a good desktop dac will be more resolving and real than dacs contained in computers. But what are your digital files? You need lossless files, redbook (16/44) minimum, or your dac won’t approach its potential.
I listen to a mix of sources. Spotify and Bandcamp for streaming, and also FLAC, CDs, Apple Lossless, Apple Master Program.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #22,638 of 23,458
I listen to a mix of sources. Spotify and Bandcamp for streaming, and also FLAC, CDs, Apple Lossless, Apple Master Program.
You’re in great shape. If you can spring for a Modi MB, you’ll be surprised at the true timbre, texture, and detail contained in the lossless files. The 600 will open a window on all of it. Keep in mind that a dac is a digital and analog component, and good desktop dacs have a much better analog section than those in most computers. It’s reasonable to spend twice as much for the dac as the amp (especially with the 600).

Jan 21, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #22,639 of 23,458
Cotter was superb, Klyne was good too. Before that it was transformers or really not up to the job SS jobs . I found the ARC SP-15 phono stage and pre-amp was outstanding too, but eventually moved to the Pass Ono, then Xono - the best MC playback I ever heard.

It was good times, but to be honest it's so much easier to just search for an artist/album/song in Tidal and it will sound superb too and that is that. The music is what counts :)

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #22,641 of 23,458
It was good times, but to be honest it's so much easier to just search for an artist/album/song in Tidal and it will sound superb too and that is that. The music is what counts :)
Yes, if the Gumby A1 wasn't a match or better than my vinyl playback I wouldn't have done it- but that, plus downsizing = bye bye

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #22,642 of 23,458
I have not had a HD6__ model in many years now, did love the sound with it specially with the Bottlehead Crack I had back then.
I have a big head and ears that poke the inside of the HD600, why I sold it.

Then the question, is there some pads that are deeper but still gives close to the same sound? Or is there a good post with HD600 pad rolling I should read up on?

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #22,643 of 23,458
I have not had a HD6__ model in many years now, did love the sound with it specially with the Bottlehead Crack I had back then.

Then the question, is there some pads that are deeper but still gives close to the same sound? Or is there a good post with HD600 pad rolling I should read up on?
Agree 100% on the BHC with the 600 and the 800 and 800S.

I haven't messed with pads on the 600 much, but, fresh Senn 600 pads seemed to work best from my POV. Lots of people like the add on from Custom Cans which gives more bass, I haven't tried it, but, swear by that outfit for O2 free well built, very low resistance, nice looking cables for reasonable $$ for planars and the 600.

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #22,645 of 23,458
The low distorsion of planars at high spl is nagging me though, as I'm getting used to it, it's a obvious limitation of HD600. HD650 can take a little more juice, and I suppose HD660S yet a little more.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #22,646 of 23,458
Got my CH650S XLR cable on Friday, much nicer feel than the stock one.

Have been listening to some chamber music with these, they just sound so relaxed, effortless, absolutely blissful, a perfect match!

Jan 22, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #22,647 of 23,458
i’d like to ask, right now for my HD600 while listening at home I just use my laptop and a Magni+. at the office i use my work laptop and an Apple dongle (3.5mm to usb c). what I’ve read on DACs has said for current day tech, most sources already have all the DAC that you need, and as long as you don’t have an audible disturbance…you’re good. Preamp is another question. Anyhow, my vanilla setup of HD600 ➡️ Magni+ ➡️ Laptop, is there something else you guys think I’m seriously missing out on for enjoying music with my HD600s (and other Sennys) with this simple set up?

^I know you all were having a higher level discussion. sorry for breaking in on that
If you are enjoying what you have, then that’s all you need. IF you’re looking for an upgrade, we’ll give you all the enablement you need. 😈 I’m not the guy to opine on dacs - I’ll leave that to others - but I think the relatively inexpensive and mostly reversible ring mod from Custom Cans UK (about which much has been written above) would be your first move. Then, if you still want more, a more robust amp would be your next move. Preferably tubes (some would say only OTL, but I don’t necessarily agree with that - a good transformer coupled tube amp can also work wonders, but not all tube amps are created equal, be they OTL, transformer coupled, SET or PP - IMHO), or even a class A biased SS with a robust power supply (think Pass, SPL or OG Burson - I’m not personally familiar with Violectric, which may or may not be class A, but that should probably also be on the list, based upon the opinions of those whose ears I trust. I am not a fan of the cheaper Schiit stuff, but in fairness, I know I’m in the minority there and I also have a personal axe to grind with them, so my opinion may be biased 😇) would get your HD600’s sounding superb. Of course, then you’re down the rabbit hole - the better your amp, the more transparent the headphones will become and, perforce, the more they will reveal weaknesses upstream, so play at your own risk. I’ve been at it for over 50 years (although I’ve only relatively recently turned my focus to headphones), and there is always something that can be made better (or at least different - and it’s startlingly easy to confuse the two). Of course, that’s what makes this such a fascinating (and sometimes frustrating) hobby.

YMMV and all that goes with it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #22,648 of 23,458
Cotter was superb, Klyne was good too. Before that it was transformers or really not up to the job SS jobs . I found the ARC SP-15 phono stage and pre-amp was outstanding too, but eventually moved to the Pass Ono, then Xono - the best MC playback I ever heard.
Every piece of Pass gear I’ve ever heard, going back to the original Aleph amps, was a killer (not so much the earlier Threshold stuff, for me). The Klynes were good (I had an SK-1 and an SK-2A), and found them a little fidgety and a touch noisy, compared to the Cotter SUT, but that was all a long time ago (although the Cotter has survived). Currently awaiting a Vertere Phono-1 mk. iiL to try. It’s virtually infinitely adjustable (for good or for bad), so I should be able to use it with or without the SUT. We shall see.

Soon we’re going to have to rename this thread “Sennheiser HD600 impressions and some old guys who insist upon reminiscing about vinyl-related goodies.” Of course, my marble HD600’s are probably about the same (vint)age as my current tt (~20), so I suppose it’s all good. 😜

Jan 22, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #22,649 of 23,458

The Dekonis are a little deeper than the old style stock pads (I think the new style stock pads are also a little deeper), and they come in a variety of flavors. I like the elite hybrids on mine, but I make no claim about whether or not they preserve the stock sound signature. My (marble) HD600’s also have other mods such as the CC ring mod and custom 15ft. cables with Furutech connectors all around. If I had to guess, I’d think the Dekoni elite velour pads would be closest to stock, but that’s just a guess. There are so many options now - Dekoni, ZMF, etc. - it’s like choosing your favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry’s!

YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #22,650 of 23,458
Cheers, the Dekoni Velour I'm used to with T1. And is what is closest there to the stock sound while giving a little bass lift, also must admit while expensive to import the ZMF pads are premium. Going to give the good old HD600/650 a go again, just need to wait for some cash to come in first. Can probably pad roll a few different pads and give some impressions on the sound.

Dekoni elite velour pads would be closest to stock, but that’s just a guess. There are so many options now - Dekoni, ZMF, etc. - it’s like choosing your favorite flavor of Ben and Jerry’s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back