Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #22,621 of 23,460
Thanks! I am enjoying both amps with the HD600 and HD650. That is a Koetsu Black. I have Lyra that needs a rebuild.
We’re a little off topic, but my current cart is a Lyra Kleos. I have a Black stashed away in drawer that dates back to the Y. Sugano days - I’ve owned multiple rosewoods and rosewood sigs, and an urushi gold, but none of them cast a spell like that humble little Black. You should post a pic of that gorgeous spiral groove over on the tt thread…

Jan 14, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #22,622 of 23,460
Agree on the Black being a great cartridge. Most think it’s entry level but it possesses the Koetsu magic and one can be happy stopping. Some prefer it to many others in the range as you have stated. I will always have it and just get it rebuilt when needed. It usually stays on a Rega P9/RB1000.

Jan 14, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #22,623 of 23,460
if you sat at an upright or grand piano and pressed the keys, you both feel and hear the notes played. when i listen with hd600s, i feel and hear the keys of a piano, i can feel each note played as a guitar string buzzes over the pickups. this is something i partially identify as Presence. (like you'd see on a guitar amp) do i get this with every genre i listen to? no, i don't, but it is a true treat on the ones i do get it with. the hd600 wear so comfortably for me and i can listen to music happy and content for hours. for those of you that like going to live shows to see a band or performer, my personal favorite shows are those that are in small venues. the experience i get there is more enjoyable for me than going to a big stadium concert. i think that's what i can compare hd600s at for me. like a small show in an intimate venue. you just need to listen and enjoy

Jan 14, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #22,624 of 23,460
Thanks! I am enjoying both amps with the HD600 and HD650. That is a Koetsu Black. I have Lyra that needs a rebuild.
You guys are the first ones I've seen here that know what a Koetsu is. I had a Rosewood, then a Rosewood Sig. My last Lyra was the Parnassus.... also slummed happily with a couple of Shelter 501's. All gone now including the 12k+ vinyl collection. After 30 years of hating digital I found a price effective DAC that played 998/1000 cuts as good or better than vinyl (and those two were < 2 second long What?). Rose Sig, Souther arm, VPI TNT Jr, XONO - in a sealed closet. That was it.....don't miss it really. Plus the 12 x 12 room full of vinyl... but more power to those that persist.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #22,626 of 23,460
You guys are the first ones I've seen here that know what a Koetsu is. I had a Rosewood, then a Rosewood Sig. My last Lyra was the Parnassus.... also slummed happily with a couple of Shelter 501's. All gone now including the 12k+ vinyl collection. After 30 years of hating digital I found a price effective DAC that played 998/1000 cuts as good or better than vinyl (and those two were < 2 second long What?). Rose Sig, Souther arm, VPI TNT Jr, XONO - in a sealed closet. That was it.....don't miss it really. Plus the 12 x 12 room full of vinyl... but more power to those that persist.

I know, I still have and use a Denon DL103(R) which is what Koetsu is based on(a heavily modded Denon 103). The unmodded Denon-version sounds really good as is.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #22,627 of 23,460
I know, I still have and use a Denon DL103(R) which is what Koetsu is based on(a heavily modded Denon 103). The unmodded Denon-version sounds really good as is.
It is amazing that the DL-103 has been around since 1962. I have used it with a custom-built step-up transformer. The conical stylus is a wonder!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #22,628 of 23,460
It is amazing that the DL-103 has been around since 1962. I have used it with a custom-built step-up transformer. The conical stylus is a wonder!

I use a early 80:s Technics SH-305MC step-up transformer, works beautifully

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #22,629 of 23,460
I use a early 80:s Technics SH-305MC step-up transformer, works beautifully
Cotter SL mk. 2, also early 1980’s.

Sorry guys, I truly did not intend to derail the thread, but I get excited when I see a good vinyl set up, especially with a Koetsu… Accurate? Maybe not. Musically engaging? Almost always.

YMMV and all that.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #22,630 of 23,460
I have tried various pre-pre-amps for DL-103; but none have equaled a well-made SUT. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #22,631 of 23,460
I have tried various pre-pre-amps for DL-103; but none have equaled a well-made SUT. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Totally agree. This is a discussion from 50 years ago, but I am firmly in the camp that believes a well-made (and properly matched) SUT into a good mm phono stage is the best way to listen to a low output MC. Mitchell Cotter did a white paper on the subject back in the day that resonated with me. I doubt it’s ever been put on the interwebs, but I believe I have a hard copy in my files somewhere.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #22,632 of 23,460
i’d like to ask, right now for my HD600 while listening at home I just use my laptop and a Magni+. at the office i use my work laptop and an Apple dongle (3.5mm to usb c). what I’ve read on DACs has said for current day tech, most sources already have all the DAC that you need, and as long as you don’t have an audible disturbance…you’re good. Preamp is another question. Anyhow, my vanilla setup of HD600 ➡️ Magni+ ➡️ Laptop, is there something else you guys think I’m seriously missing out on for enjoying music with my HD600s (and other Sennys) with this simple set up?

^I know you all were having a higher level discussion. sorry for breaking in on that

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #22,633 of 23,460
I had one of those - very nice bass. Started with AT-14, ADC XLM, Sonus Blue, Stanton 881S, Mavrovskis 1, FR-1 3F, Carnegie 1, Lyra Parnassus, Denon 103, Shelter 501 aka Crown Jewel, Koetsu Black, Koetsu Rosewood, Shelter 501, Rosewood Sig, and probably 3-4 more - on a Dual 510, Ariston RD-11S w/ Mayware, Oracle Delphi III w/ JVC UA-7045 and FR-64, VPI Mk IV w/ Souther SLA-1, VPI TNT Jr w/ same Souther.

I had a vast collection of vinyl - at max 12,200. Mostly Mint, Mint-, after a cleaning with the VPI HW-17w I could play a disc 25 times with my Souther and it was like I played it once. It was a life style. Never would have believed I'd give it up, but I did, all of it.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #22,634 of 23,460
i’d like to ask, right now for my HD600 while listening at home I just use my laptop and a Magni+. at the office i use my work laptop and an Apple dongle (3.5mm to usb c). what I’ve read on DACs has said for current day tech, most sources already have all the DAC that you need, and as long as you don’t have an audible disturbance…you’re good. Preamp is another question. Anyhow, my vanilla setup of HD600 ➡️ Magni+ ➡️ Laptop, is there something else you guys think I’m seriously missing out on for enjoying music with my HD600s (and other Sennys) with this simple set up?

^I know you all were having a higher level discussion. sorry for breaking in on that
Do try and find a ladder DAC (aka multi-bit) qualitatively different. If you read my post just above, I had a vast vinyl set-up in 2015 and its all gone because of the audio honesty I heard in the Schiit Gungnir 1 MB. There are maybe a dozen units now like that. Maybe more.

Pre-amps are a well known thing, getting a good one isn't that difficult.

Listen to the 600 on an OTL tube such as the Bottlehead Crack w/ or without the Speedball. Its better than the 3 high end SS amps I've used - Ragnarok 1, Bryston BHA-1, Violectric V181 - read back a few pages, its a very commonly held belief of fans of the HD-600.

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #22,635 of 23,460
Cotter SL mk. 2, also early 1980’s.

Sorry guys, I truly did not intend to derail the thread, but I get excited when I see a good vinyl set up, especially with a Koetsu… Accurate? Maybe not. Musically engaging? Almost always.

YMMV and all that.
Cotter was superb, Klyne was good too. Before that it was transformers or really not up to the job SS jobs . I found the ARC SP-15 phono stage and pre-amp was outstanding too, but eventually moved to the Pass Ono, then Xono - the best MC playback I ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back