Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #19,051 of 23,482
Yes, i think they could fit.
I wanted to know if someone here installed them on the HD600 and how it changed the sound. I think the hybrid velour/leather of the HE60 pads could improve the bass / subbass response of the HD600 but there are chances it would change in a bad way the magical midrange and treble. It's worth to give it a try at least.

May 3, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #19,052 of 23,482
Yes, i think they could fit.
I wanted to know if someone here installed them on the HD600 and how it changed the sound. I think the hybrid velour/leather of the HE60 pads could improve the bass / subbass response of the HD600 but there are chances it would change in a bad way the magical midrange and treble. It's worth to give it a try at least.
I would actually say in the same vein, see if anyone has put on Brainwavs pads on the HD600 instead. It's far more likely for someone to have tried Brainwavs hybrid velour pads on their HD600s compared to HE60 pads.

May 9, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #19,054 of 23,482
Guys I am using my HD600s with the Creative SoundBlaster Zx, and I get this feeling whenever I am listening to them they sound sort of odd I mean I know HD600 has a warm sound signature but somehow I feel the SB Zx is trying to make it bright and it's original sound signature gets disturbed and it starts to sound funny...I also have 598 they sound normal with the card but I know they are different headphones, and I heard 600s are very dependent on source but 598s are not at all, and someone who was a professional person told me no one drives HD600s with a sound card and I should use a tube amp or else they will sound little bit off, what's you opinion on this, I am really confused. I mean yea 600s have ar more clarity than 598 but I feel like my card it trying to make it even brighter and fails somehow, the SB Zx has a lot of sound effects some of them cant be turned off because it is designed to make the headphones sound awful without them if you know what I mean...

May 9, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #19,055 of 23,482
Guys I am using my HD600s with the Creative SoundBlaster Zx, and I get this feeling whenever I am listening to them they sound sort of odd I mean I know HD600 has a warm sound signature but somehow I feel the SB Zx is trying to make it bright and it's original sound signature gets disturbed and it starts to sound funny...I also have 598 they sound normal with the card but I know they are different headphones, and I heard 600s are very dependent on source but 598s are not at all, and someone who was a professional person told me no one drives HD600s with a sound card and I should use a tube amp or else they will sound little bit off, what's you opinion on this, I am really confused. I mean yea 600s have ar more clarity than 598 but I feel like my card it trying to make it even brighter and fails somehow, the SB Zx has a lot of sound effects some of them cant be turned off because it is designed to make the headphones sound awful without them if you know what I mean...
I never considered the HD600 to be warm sounding and to me they were about the same in terms of brightness when I had both. Its possible that you are sensitive to the small peak in the 3.5-5khz range of the HD600 that bothered me at times and the HD598 was just a bit thin and dry sounding to me. The tube amps that I have (BH Crack, Ember, Lyr2) didn't make then any better IIRC but I can't say that the SB Zx is making them bright since I've never tried this sound card but I used to have a Xonar STX and they were decent for driving the HD600, HD650 and HD700 (used most) when gaming.

May 9, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #19,056 of 23,482
I never considered the HD600 to be warm sounding and to me they were about the same in terms of brightness when I had both. Its possible that you are sensitive to the small peak in the 3.5-5khz range of the HD600 that bothered me at times and the HD598 was just a bit thin and dry sounding to me. The tube amps that I have (BH Crack, Ember, Lyr2) didn't make then any better IIRC but I can't say that the SB Zx is making them bright since I've never tried this sound card but I used to have a Xonar STX and they were decent for driving the HD600, HD650 and HD700 (used most) when gaming.
Interesting..most people say they are warm sounding headphones but I agree with you, I thought I was the only one who was thinking this way, I like 598s but I only use them for gaming and movies. like the bass of 600s and it has much more clarity, I tested with my friend's SB Z they sounded much more relaxed I mean they get a bit aggressive with SB Zx and you may not believe but even little bit of fatiguing, Z can drive maximum of 300 ohm but Zx is 600 cant help but think maybe they are being overdriven somehow...which results in not sounding right, is that even possible?

May 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #19,059 of 23,482
Since we all hear differently what someone considers bright another may consider neutral which might be the case with you for the HD600. I'm not familiar with the SB Z or SB Zx but I've always considered sound cards to be a poor choice for driving high impedance headphones like the HD600 and HD650 but over the past few years I've noticed that some sound cards are getting much better at driving higher impedance headphones so I don't think the Zx is over driving them and making them bright sounding.
Have you tried to disable all sound effects on the SB Zx? With my Xonar DG I have to disable all of the sound effects / processing to get a good clean sound and there is a setting for adjusting the output to different headphone impedances which helps a bit in tuning the sound.

@Arin7 The HD650 is considered a warm sounding headphone by many but to me they are a touch too warm at times, but due to the slightly rolled off treble (this is not what a "veiled" headphone sounds like) they are never fatiguing to me unlike the HD600 which did get fatiguing to me at times. I don't find the HD800, HD700 or T1gen1 fatiguing since they all have treble peaks that are higher up in the frequency range so this is something to consider and you might want to try some test tones to see if you are sensitive to some frequencies.

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #19,060 of 23,482
The 600 is not warm not bright but just right.

Thousands and thousands of happy listeners over the last 2 decades can testify to that. There will always be the odd person who hears or imagine flaws if they try hard enough. I'd say to them listen to the music first and if this lovely headphone still causes you grief search for something else that better meets your particular 'tastes' Good luck. You'll need it, you poor, sad ******s

Enjoy :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #19,061 of 23,482

Thousands and thousands of happy listeners over the last 2 decades can testify to that. There will always be the odd person who hears or imagine flaws if they try hard enough. I'd say to them listen to the music first and if this lovely headphone still causes you grief search for something else that better meets your particular 'tastes' Good luck. You'll need it, you poor, sad ******s

+1. Agreed.

May 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #19,062 of 23,482
Since we all hear differently what someone considers bright another may consider neutral which might be the case with you for the HD600. I'm not familiar with the SB Z or SB Zx but I've always considered sound cards to be a poor choice for driving high impedance headphones like the HD600 and HD650 but over the past few years I've noticed that some sound cards are getting much better at driving higher impedance headphones so I don't think the Zx is over driving them and making them bright sounding.
Have you tried to disable all sound effects on the SB Zx? With my Xonar DG I have to disable all of the sound effects / processing to get a good clean sound and there is a setting for adjusting the output to different headphone impedances which helps a bit in tuning the sound.

@Arin7 The HD650 is considered a warm sounding headphone by many but to me they are a touch too warm at times, but due to the slightly rolled off treble (this is not what a "veiled" headphone sounds like) they are never fatiguing to me unlike the HD600 which did get fatiguing to me at times. I don't find the HD800, HD700 or T1gen1 fatiguing since they all have treble peaks that are higher up in the frequency range so this is something to consider and you might want to try some test tones to see if you are sensitive to some frequencies.
I actually love how they sound but I have this strange feeling something's not right with my soundcard I feel like not are not a good match, I was considering WA7 gen2 but it is really out of my budget, So I guess I have to save money for an Asus card. Yes I've disabled the effect but I get the feeling when the effects are turned off it makes everything sound really bad in order to convince how effects improve the sound, before buying this I tried the HD600s with my motherboard's onboard sound card (not amplified) I remember I was really blown away by the sound quality.

May 9, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #19,063 of 23,482

Lol I said that to my friend who was using the *b* word and was trying to convince me he was not impressed by the HD600s :D

May 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #19,064 of 23,482
I actually love how they sound but I have this strange feeling something's not right with my soundcard I feel like not are not a good match, I was considering WA7 gen2 but it is really out of my budget, So I guess I have to save money for an Asus card. Yes I've disabled the effect but I get the feeling when the effects are turned off it makes everything sound really bad in order to convince how effects improve the sound, before buying this I tried the HD600s with my motherboard's onboard sound card (not amplified) I remember I was really blown away by the sound quality.
So what's your budget? Perhaps some of us here could suggest an alternative to a sound card that doesn't cost a kidney. Because I can't afford something like the WA7 either :p. I will say that I've got a TEAC AI-301DA (mine has headphone and speaker outputs as well as BT, but the UD-301 I think is the equivalent for solely headphone use) and it pairs very well with the HD600. Bought mine used in like new condition from Hifi Heaven for a tad over $300.

May 10, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #19,065 of 23,482
Interesting..most people say they are warm sounding headphones but I agree with you, I thought I was the only one who was thinking this way, I like 598s but I only use them for gaming and movies. like the bass of 600s and it has much more clarity, I tested with my friend's SB Z they sounded much more relaxed I mean they get a bit aggressive with SB Zx and you may not believe but even little bit of fatiguing, Z can drive maximum of 300 ohm but Zx is 600 cant help but think maybe they are being overdriven somehow...which results in not sounding right, is that even possible?

Highs in general take much less power/energy than lower frequencies to reproduce. If you're hearing brightness, it could be that it's being UNDER-driven.

My 20 year-old Stax SRM-1 energiser (read: amp) sounds bright to me, but I attribute it at least in part to age, and think my particular unit may need to have the capacitors replaced. My 1 year-old 353X energiser sounds fuller to my ears. What I hear as brightness in my SRM-1 may in fact be the opposite, a lack of adequate power to the lower frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back