Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #18,857 of 23,499
You'll find the 660S fixes both of those shortcomings, and more.
I found the 660s to be worse than either the 650 or 600 but hey that's just me. The HD600 is one of the original great headphones. In the early 90's, the HD600 (actually the HD580) and the Grado HP-1 started the path to where we are now, even if that path turned out to be an expensive toll bridge.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #18,858 of 23,499
I just shared these pictures in the HE-560 thread and figured people here would also like to see them. After cracking a yoke on my HE-560 I had to order a complete new headband with yokes from Hifiman. I used the broken one and designed/printed a custom yoke that adapts the HD600's cups to the HE-560 headband. Very comfortable.

WhatsApp Image 2018-02-26 at asd20.28.38.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-02-26 at 20.28.38.jpeg20170614_170117.jpg

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #18,859 of 23,499
I just shared these pictures in the HE-560 thread and figured people here would also like to see them. After cracking a yoke on my HE-560 I had to order a complete new headband with yokes from Hifiman. I used the broken one and designed/printed a custom yoke that adapts the HD600's cups to the HE-560 headband. Very comfortable.

I personally like the HD600 headband better than the HE560's in comfort and looks, but that's just me. Really good looking job you've done there though!

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #18,862 of 23,499
So I had a chance to buy a used set of AKG K7XX's, these are often compared to the HD600 and sometimes favored moreso by some.

From my experience they are not even close ...

-The mid range on the HD600 is magical, while it is great on the AKG there is just something missing. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can think of it is how much more detail is present.
-I found the AKG's to be a bit sibilant in the treble, HD600 in comparison has none.
-Bass on the AKG is superior but its nothing that makes it a game changer. The HD600 has severe sub bass rolloff but I'm fine with that given that I'm not really listening to bass emphasized music when I put these on.
-Build quality on the AKG is atrocious, I can hear the headband moving around as I turn my head back and forth (even the slightest). They feel very fragile and loosely pieced together. The HD600 has a pretty stout build quality, nothing exceptional but falls into the neutral area.
-Comfort on the AKG takes the cake, the HD600 is a bit tight on my big head due to the clamping force.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #18,863 of 23,499
So I had a chance to buy a used set of AKG K7XX's, these are often compared to the HD600 and sometimes favored moreso by some.

-The mid range on the HD600 is magical, while it is great on the AKG there is just something missing. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can think of it is how much more detail is present.
-I found the AKG's to be a bit sibilant in the treble, HD600 in comparison has none.
-Bass on the AKG is superior but its nothing that makes it a game changer. The HD600 has severe sub bass rolloff but I'm fine with that given that I'm not really listening to bass emphasized music when I put these on.
-Build quality on the AKG is atrocious, I can hear the headband moving around as I turn my head back and forth (even the slightest). They feel very fragile and loosely pieced together. The HD600 has a pretty stout build quality, nothing exceptional but falls into the neutral area.
-Comfort on the AKG takes the cake, the HD600 is a bit tight on my big head due to the clamping force.
I loved my 600's when I had them.. I have HE-560's and am even considering buying some 600's again. There's something about them that regardless of the other headphones you have, you still love them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #18,864 of 23,499
I loved my 600's when I had them.. I have HE-560's and am even considering buying some 600's again. There's something about them that regardless of the other headphones you have, you still love them.
Yeah, I ended up selling my HE560 and kept a HD600/TH-X00 combo instead. Brought me more overall joy for a similar price, not to mention more comfort.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #18,865 of 23,499
Yeah, I ended up selling my HE560 and kept a HD600/TH-X00 combo instead. Brought me more overall joy for a similar price, not to mention more comfort.
560's, to me, can sometimes be too flat and analytical.. They are the more of the "tell it to me straight" type. Now, the 600's were more of the lying type, but my god did they lie so good... lol. Not to mention the focus pads make my ears itch every few minutes. Besides that, they are very comfy.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #18,866 of 23,499
560's, to me, can sometimes be too flat and analytical.. They are the more of the "tell it to me straight" type. Now, the 600's were more of the lying type, but my god did they lie so good... lol. Not to mention the focus pads make my ears itch every few minutes. Besides that, they are very comfy.
I felt the clamp on the HE560 headband to be a bit much and while you can loosen that up the same way you'd loosen up an HD600 headband (which I did end up doing), that headband felt harder to loosen than the HD600's. Plus, my ears aren't circles....they fit better inside the cavities of the HD600 pads. I'd usually have my earlobes rest on the inside bottom of the HE560 earcups, but no such issues with the HD600. It remains one of my favorites in comfort of the headphones I've tried. The only ones higher up in comfort are Sennheiser's own higher-end offerings, which I won't be getting anytime soon.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #18,867 of 23,499
I found the 660s to be worse than either the 650 or 600 but hey that's just me. The HD600 is one of the original great headphones. In the early 90's, the HD600 (actually the HD580) and the Grado HP-1 started the path to where we are now, even if that path turned out to be an expensive toll bridge.

Fully agree w/ your assessment of the 660s.

-The mid range on the HD600 is magical, while it is great on the AKG there is just something missing

Fully agree.

There IS something about them : probably the best midrange of any other headphones.

Let's take into consideration the fact that the HD600 is beginning it's 22nd year since it was first produced in 1997. Not that Tyll Hertsens is the last word of authority on headphones but, let's be honest, many audiophiles rely on his reviews in order to help them decide wether to buy certain products or not. The HD600 has been on Tyll's Wall of Fame for quite some time & he just purged his WOF about a month ago removing such highly regarded headphone models as the Stax SR-009, the two Focals, the Senns 800 & 800 S, the HE1000, the LCD4, etc.

The HD600 is still there. In boxing there's a term used to define the most talented boxer of the moment. The term is "pound for pound" meaning that the boxer is the most gifted but not a heavyweight. Well pound for pound the HD600 is, if not the best, near the top. Pound for pound in this case means what you get for what you spend. I've had my HD600 since 2003.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #18,868 of 23,499
I felt the clamp on the HE560 headband to be a bit much and while you can loosen that up the same way you'd loosen up an HD600 headband (which I did end up doing), that headband felt harder to loosen than the HD600's. Plus, my ears aren't circles....they fit better inside the cavities of the HD600 pads. I'd usually have my earlobes rest on the inside bottom of the HE560 earcups, but no such issues with the HD600. It remains one of my favorites in comfort of the headphones I've tried. The only ones higher up in comfort are Sennheiser's own higher-end offerings, which I won't be getting anytime soon.
Very understandable, you are making me miss mine more by the minute haha. I might add them back to my collection, especially when i get a Dark Voice..
Let's take into consideration the fact that the HD600 is beginning it's 22nd year since it was first produced in 1997. Not that Tyll Hertsens is the last word of authority on headphones but, let's be honest, many audiophiles rely on his reviews in order help them decide wether to buy certain products or not. The HD600 has been on Tyll's Wall of Fame for quite some time & he just purged his WOF about a month ago removing such highly regarded headphone models as the Stax SR-009, the two Focals, the Senns 800 & 800 S, the HE1000, the LCD4, etc.

The HD600 is still there. In boxing there's a term used to define the most talented boxer of the moment. The term is "pound for pound" meaning that the boxer is the most gifted but not a heavyweight. Well pound for pound the HD600 is, if not the best, near the top. Pound for pound in this case means what you get for what you spend. I've had my HD600 since 2003.
And after hearing it, oh yes I most certainly agree.. I dont know who Tyll is, but a lot of people talk about him, so that will help me justify a repurchasing of another pair :wink:

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #18,869 of 23,499
Very understandable, you are making me miss mine more by the minute haha. I might add them back to my collection, especially when i get a Dark Voice..

And after hearing it, oh yes I most certainly agree.. I dont know who Tyll is, but a lot of people talk about him, so that will help me justify a repurchasing of another pair :wink:
I've read the HD600s can sing with nice tube amps like the Dark Voice. I personally don't have one, but can confirm some extra warmth is very good for them. I listen through a TEAC AI-301DA and the slight added warmth (from the DAC or the amp, I have no clue and I don't care) is nice with the HD600s.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:25 AM Post #18,870 of 23,499
I've read the HD600s can sing with nice tube amps like the Dark Voice. I personally don't have one, but can confirm some extra warmth is very good for them. I listen through a TEAC AI-301DA and the slight added warmth (from the DAC or the amp, I have no clue and I don't care) is nice with the HD600s.
Thanks for the info :) my UD-501 is coming in soon from Massdrop.. Teac seems to be good bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back